main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Maiden on the Snow (Short Intertrilogy story featuring... a girl named Mara ? ; Updated 4/6)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lordban, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Brilliant! Okay, the suspense is now killing me. POST SOON!

2. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Great!!!!!! There's just one problem... I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPEN'S NEXT!!! :p

Post soon :)

3. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    What Laya said!

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

Now, you have really added colour with an ominous new characer. :eek: I just finished Stephen King?s Firestarter and geez, does this story not remind me of the twisted connection between another professional predator, his inner demons and an innocent, gifted young girl. Please post soon and thanks again of the heads up!

5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Kimberley,

I would :p

(hey, I'm officially mad, after all :D )

Gina, a post comes either on Saturday or Sunday, please survive until then ;) (all the more since it'll probably be a bad post, just to ruin what I've written so far :p and don't say it's my fault, I'll never admit it !!!)

LaYa, OK, alright, got the message ;)

Dev, what I said to LaYa :D

Jacqueline, I'm wayyyyys behind King [face_blush]

6. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    LOl :p ;)

Just upping this :)

7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    First of all, thanks for waiting :) I'm sorry I am late, but this weekend has been one for unexpected events to crop up on my schedule (and since there were good news... ;) )

Anyways, here comes - and a very long post at that.

Reads familiar ? Keep reading anyway, and take the time to go through the entire passage ; you might be in for a few more surprises ;)

It was a beautiful sight to behold, but there was no one to enjoy it. There were no tangible profits to be made on or near Indoril, and the place was far too removed from the Core worlds for touring agencies to make money on a space station there. And such was the reason why the beauty of the system was only known to a few. The world itself was hardly documented, and its aesthetics, even less so. All in all, it made an excellent reason for the pilot of the small craft which popped out near the small planet to stop breathing for a short while.

The first sight offered him was that of an iridescent sphere suspended in space, as though it was a pearl masterfully displayed by a jeweller on a layer of the finest black fabric, intricately woven with tiny diamonds. And the pearl had value of itself, offering to the viewer its intricate patterns of whites, patterns which the viewer would be the only one ever to discover as the weather made them everchanging, always similar, yet forever different. A few moments passed during which the man was oblivious to everything - his ship, the reasons why he was here... even his own self.

But he was to be brought by to reality soon enough - [i]Why now ?[/i] he thought fleetingly - by a red ping on his displays which broke into the perfection of the view.
    And so the man caught himself, and refocused his thoughts on the reason he was there of all places, when hardly anyone in the Empire would ever have considered venturing here. He was following another ship, and his instruments were informing him that the beacon they had been tracking was located here in this system.
    On the pearl-planet.

The man had to concentrate.
    Entering the atmosphere of this world was not going to be easy. The readings on his sensors told the man of gale-force winds he would have to navigate through ; visibility would be terrible, as the clouds carried along the snows that covered all of the planet's surface. The clouds and snow would be a blessing for the man when he touched down on the surface, though : they would allow him to land close to the ship he had followed but still out of sight, and the terrible atmospheric conditions had every chance of preventing regular sensors from detecting his own craft. He would not be in sight of the object of his search either, and was in for a short hike in frosty weather. He would have to rely on a portable locator capable of detecting the homing beacon, and would have to place another beacon on his own ship. There was no use finding what he searched for if it meant he was to become stranded forever on the planet. A mother-of-pearl tomb was certainly worth contemplating, but it mattered not for the ones it housed.

Now white was everywhere in the man's view. Swirling white ; an overwhelming white one could have thought was trying to engulf the small ship and forever take it along on a journey of never-ending, ever-renewed white. As though trying to mimic the surroundings, the man's face and knuckles were turning white too, as he struggled with controls that seemed to side with the blizzard.

And then, the weather relented ; the ship slowly got closer and closer to a ground that was impossible to sense or see ; the gale might well have pretented to let him grudgingly through, only to ensure that he could crash on the planet's surface and there be joined forever with the white. The pilot slowed down to an almost dragging pace, and turned on his repulsors before he really needed them : if he could not detect the ground, he would at least sense that it was close...

[i]After all[/i] he mused, [i]people who say they have had near-death experiences often describe a white tunnel opening in front of

8. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Great chapter!!!!! An awesome update!!!!! A girl named Mara? Either you enjoy that name or she may have some relation to Mara Jade. hmmm. :D Anyway great work!!!!!

9. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Great chapter :)

So, a girl named Mara? [face_mischief] Hmm.. hmmm... [face_mischief]

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! So much in that chapter to absorb! Great update, I liked the introdction of the Mara character. Will it be OUR MARA? Who knows, except the author. Great work.

11. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    You are twisted! but, I love the story anyway.

Umm, fiery hair, girl named Mara--wonder who that could be? Hmmm. Maybe Mara Jade, perhaps? So the two Jedi with attachments have children who fall in love with each other. Interesting.

12. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Everytime I thought I had this post figured out, you threw in another twist! You do a brilliant job of revealing things in such a way as to lead the reader to draw a conclusion or believe something which then turns out not to be true. For example, the man landing on the planet being her Master, not her assassin. Again, great job.

13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    OB21, by now you should know I'm NOT going to tell you whether she's Mara Jade or not, hmmm ? ;)

LaYa, you're frightening me :p

Kimberley, who knows indeed ;) And thanks a lot :)

Laine, thanks for the praise [face_mischief] I love reading people saying I'm twisted [face_devil] Thanks !
    And who could that Mara be, since so many people wonder ? Hmm, I'm going to let you guess, but I'm offering you a clue : I have written something else about Lyla's master ;)

Gina, I'm afraid I'm simply incapable of writing straightforward plots :p The "beginning" of Maiden on the Snow took me eight hours to write, since I wanted to have a passage that would be neutral enough to be a potential common ground for at least a couple of characters.

Thanks to you all for reading :) If everything goes fine, you'll have a nice (twisted !) post for Easter.

14. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    LaYa, you're frightening me :p

Me? O:)

lol :p

15. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    This story has more twists and turns than the minotaur's maze! :eek: Okay, I confess! I did not see that - those - coming... :eek:

Me like! :D

16. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Leia Naberrie, I will take that as a compliment ;)

17. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Wow, I missed that chapter, it was a bit confusing but, WOW! It's great, my neck is hurting from whip-lash. :p

18. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Giving this a boost!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.