main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mainstream SF: James Doohan of Star Trek, Jason of Star Command dies

Discussion in 'Archive: Quad Cities' started by YUCreespaGreedo, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YUCreespaGreedo

YUCreespaGreedo Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    Though he was Trek not Star Wars, he was special to millions of SF fans worldwide. let's keep his family in prayer at this time.--YUCReespaGreedo.

I just saw this on Fox News. James Doohan is being reported as dead. This news hasn't hit Google as yet so I can't verify. Scotty was 85 years of age.[/quote]

I met Mr. Doohan, like many, during his second career on the Convention Circuit, during the very popular "Fab Four of Trk" tour first promoted by Creation then other promotions nationwide (in US). I was in Chicago in the summer of 1993, at my first multi-star con, and very nervous, promoting my then Trek fan club, Starfleet Sectors, for Illinois and Iowa recruits.

I was fortunate that I was able to get the VIP pass, for the "Mett and Greet" with Mr. Doohan. During this event, he would appear in full Scottish Highland Formal attire, and all were welcome to costume, dress formal or casual. I chose to costume in TOS uniform.

This was the first time I had done so, and trepidatious though I was, I swallowed my nerdy pride and went in my Command Gold. I found myself at the back of a very long line, first to get the complimentary picture with the famous Scotty of the Enterpise, and then fight over the leftover prime rib or the fish.

By the time I got to the dais where Mr. Doohan was standing, pressing the flesh and making everyon feel personally welcomed by him, I flet truly like a fish out of water.

Then it was my turn at the camera.

Ever hear the phrase "I hope the camera breaks during your Picture"? It happened just as the photographer said to say, "Ferengi", instead of "Cheese". So here I am, a nervous wreck fronting my fledgling Trek club, in front of dozens of fellow Trekkers and Trekkies, continually shiking hands with the one and only James Doohan. You could fell the dripping of the sweat-blossoms under my arms. Then Mr. Doohan said, "It's all right, Son, it happens all the time. Why don't we talk?" He first said to call him Jimmy; then he began to tell me of his experience in WWII, and the stories he told in those few minutes until the camera was fixed, relaxed and befriended me to Jimmy.

He told me that the trick to know in being in a public venue is that everyone there, just like me, would very much rather not be there, including him. Laughing, Jimmy said, "How'd you like to wear forty pounds of this in public?--" pointing to his woolen kilt, the Scott plaid made exclusively for his family, though named Doohan. "I much would rather be in a pair of shorts sitting on my patio sipping something cold." He made me feel that I was personally part of something special, just two friends standing there.

Then the moment passed as he noticed that the photographer was reasy, smoothly positioned me and himself, and the photo of he and this Large geek in gold shaking hands is one of my prized possessions. Later he sent a thank you for the honorary membership my then-group bestowed upon him, and he remembered us as we met over the next decade. By 2002, he was slowed down, but he was still there, muzzy from the early stages of Alzheimer's but able to remember with clarity the WWII events he shared with me, later shared in public venues all over.

Mr. Doohan was a father, a husband, a friend, a dialectician, inventor of the Klingon language, character actor, comedian, Canadian-american, War veteran, and will ever be to anyone who knew him, Scotty of the USS Enterprise.

To paraphrase his favorite line, "Admiral there be a 'whale' of a good man here!"

James Doohan 1920-2005

--YUCreespaGreedo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.