main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Major Cities of Rishi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Beaker416, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, so I apologize greatly if it's not. I'm doing some research into the planet "Rishi" and I"m trying to find out names of major cities on the planet. I've read that Talon Karrde had a base of operations there but I'm not sure in what city it was located in. Thanks for any and all help. :)

2. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Don't think I ever heard of any named cities given to Rishi and Wookieepedia lists Rishi Base as Karrde's base of operations near Wozwashi Street but thats about it :(

3. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Yeah, that's all I could find too. It's kind of funny that we know what street the base is on but not the city no? Ah, keeps it fun

4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    If I might ask, whats the research for? A story? A game? Or just general information? :)

5. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    A story I've been working on. Trying to keep things canon takes a lot more work than I would have thought, but it's fun trying to make everything work as well. :) But hey, I suppose it wouldn't hurt just to know either right?

6. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Are there any maps of planets in Star Wars? The Essential Atlas contains maps of the Star Wars galaxy and certain regions, but not single worlds.

Hm... did you ever notice the fact in most space fantasy franchises every place is a planet?

I mean, if a story is set on a planet called Magdalyn and a place named Jainyathan is mentioned, then Jainyathan could mean anything, well in this case it's a city.

But if a story is set in an entire galaxy and someones tells about Yay-Antraneeon, it obviously is a planet. (in this case, it is)

And everything is about planets or on planet-scale.

Never a star empire is trying to conquer a continent or a planet's equator. Everytime it's the whole planet. If you come to a town, it may be relatively easy to find a person you search for without knowing his exact location. On a planet in most fictional universes, too, no matter if a planet is thousands of times bigger and has thousands of times more inhabitans.

On many fictional universes' planets, most important places are within walking distance to a starport, so you don't have to take a train because the city you want to visit has no spaceport.

To conquer a world, some troop carriers jumping out of hyperspace are shown, maybe able to carry some dozens or hundreds of thousands of troops, enough to break any defenses of a well-guarded city, same with a planet containing maybe dozens of those cities.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Hey, jasonfry. We have a new project for you. [face_batting]

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Zorrixor, DarthBoba, Cronal and 3 others like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And Rishi's the perfect one to start with. I hear it's a real maze.

10. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Many of the old West End Games RPG books have maps or partial maps of of planets, regions and even cities. Some of the newer RPG books from Wizards of the Coast do, too.

And there are some maps from games like Star Wars Galaxies or The Old Republic.

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    No such map for Rishi. Indeed, the planet entry for Rishi in The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook doesn't mention any cities by name. It does mention that most people live in a handful of deep, swampy valleys that are referred to as "city-vales" and are built from cream-white stone. With a population of 2 billion people, there are probably enough city-vales that you shouldn't feel bad in making one up. I might look to the planet J't'p'tan for inspiration in naming - it was named by H'kig followers, who make up the majority of Rishi's population.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good ol jippy tippy tan.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  13. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Taken to extremes in the 1st episode of TCW season 5... where some droid on the space station attacked by the Oppress Brothers overheard them talking about which sector they wanted to go to -- and next thing we know Obi-Wan is headed for the exact planet he just somehow knows they're on.

And I say we keep this post on the first page until we get official surface maps. Without stickying it.

So here's my map request: Coruscant, obviously. I remember making a BMP map of Imperial City and its surroundings back in the Bantam days... gotta look if I've still got it somewhere. (I also still want an Essential Guide to Coruscant.)

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Gand would be easy. Continents are Gand. Bodies of water are Gand. Each pocket colony is called Gand. And spaceports are called Gand. Streets are called Gand. Thus...

"Gand lives on 1535 Gand, Gand, Gand."

15. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    So that's why we see so few findsmen in the galaxy. Most of them are busy performing the findsmen's most sacred duty - working for the Gand Post Office.

MercenaryAce and TrakNar like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    CatCW had a map of Imperial City, and I want to see that the EGtPM had one as well.

You're welcome :p

TrakNar likes this.