Major Error in AOTC

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by A1Alpha, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nichos_Marr Jedi Master

star 4
    So yeah. They're probably not all Geonosians, but they could be. "our" and "we" is either referring to the Geonosians or Separatists.

If it were referring to the Seperatists, it does make sense. But I think it's entirely possible that they bagged themselves a couple of scientists, architects, and those with no real political affiliation and said "design this". The Geonosians didn't seem too bright to me, and the Seperatists didn't exactly look like a team of scientists IMO.
  2. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    The Geonosians and Dooku probably began planning/building parts for it after Sidious thought of the idea. I don't think anyone bgut Sidious would think of it, and I doubt he'd listen to anyone's advice, except perhaps Dooku's.
    The EU Death Star designers probably came in after the Battle of Geonosis, to complete it elsewhere.

This bit may get complicated:
    -The Geonosians planned/began constructing it
    -Geonosians also created the Federation army
    -It was designed to be used for the Empire
    -The Imperial army is made up of Republic Clones

Therefore, after Geonosis was attacked by the Republic, leaving the Geonosians in charge of it would have been a bad idea, as their plans may have been rumbled. So, Sidious (or Dooku) let the other guys build it, and let Tarkin oversee and command it.

So, it kinda works out.
  3. Waru Jedi Padawan

4. dahveed72 Jedi Knight

star 3
    quote:

Just take it easy you guys, Lucas knows what he is doing.

Hey you forgot to write "IMHO". Some things (like TPM being a godawful piece of tripe) are not a matter of opinion. What you just posted is.
  5. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    like TPM being a godawful piece of tripe

that is not being debated here and off topic- and is YOUR opinion and not FACT. keep on topic please.

EDIT: plus do i sense flaming?
  6. Darth Sin Force Ghost

star 5
    In terms of Tarkin's role concerning the Death Star; it may be that Lucas in the end will just have it that Tarkin was given command of it, and played no role in its development.

To be honest, I don't care if he did or not. But I was hoping to see a young Tarkin, if nothing but a Bail Organa like cameo in AOTC.

If nothing else, it would be interesting after seeing the Empire come to power, to see the first set of Imperial officers, and see Tarkin as an up and coming one, of which we know he will become Governor Tarkin by the time of ANH and command the Death Star

By the way, no one answered my question from my last post, and that being,

"About what age would Tarkin be during the time of AOTC??"

Darth Sin! :cool:
  7. Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, he's about 60 in ANH. (ballpark)

So, he would have to be about 37-38 years old, right.
  8. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    This should end this whole debate. What does Vader SAY to Tarkinin ANH?

"Don't be so proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant to the power of the Force."

Constructed = built. Tarkin was the head of the project to make the Death Star. Does not mean he invented/ devised it.
  9. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    sorry, vader dont say that to tarkin.

He says it to Admiral Motti.
  10. Charlie_Martel Jedi Master

star 4
    "What does Vader SAY to Tarkinin ANH?"

He didn't say that to Tarkin. He said it to that guy who thinks too highly of the Death Star and is choked by Vader (forgot his name) :)
  11. cable1996 Jedi Master

star 4
    Lucas has said EU is canon

uh, no

This is the most recent quote from Lucas on the subject:

?There are two worlds here,? explained Lucas. ?There?s my world, which is the movies, and there?s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe ? the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don?t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don?t get too involved in the parallel universe.?

you can read it here http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=34918
  12. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Basically, Lucas is disrespecting his own work. He allows this.

How is he disrespecting his own work? He didn't work on the EU. It goes on without him (direct quote).

13. AlexiAlexander Jedi Knight

star 2
    I believe that Fire_Light is correct. And for all of you Darkside EU bashers, ofcourse GL uses the stuff in the books the way they are (Aayla Secura ect) and he is free to change what ever he wants like he back story on Boba Fett.
  14. _Zap_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    there is no point to this argueing
    there have been all sorts of threads which have gone on like this all it acomplices is the thread gets locked
    this argument will just get worse and worse and then it will get locked
    so everyone leaves intill they find another thread like this for them to argue in
    so how bout we do something difrent and one side drops out
    gives up
    stops talking about canon
    then the other side will have no reason to argue and this can be ended without being locked
  15. Charlie_Martel Jedi Master

star 4
    Aalya Secura was a comic book character that Lucas put in because she looks cool. He didn't put in her whole backstory or anything. I'm glad he put her in, she does look cool! :)
  16. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
    im agreeing with Alexi. GL sanctioned the EU, most of the novels have to go through the LucasFilm boards so that there are no glaring errors or extream controdictions. So as a result the authers of the EU have to work within a fair amount of constraints, where as Lucas has noe of those. Thats fine Lucas is free to do whatever he wants. After i thought about it, many things that GL presents are not in dirrect controdiction to many of the main events/facts of the EU. Sure the seperatists have a death star design, what all do they have? Do they have a general design, did they get insperation from Tarkin? Sure Tarkin built the DStar, but no one ever said he had to design it.

Honestly, i personally dont like some of the stuff that Lucas does, but i cant really do anything about it it is his do do what he wants with. Lucas said it himself that there are so many different stories that can be told, so why do we argue about it? The truth is, no one is going to change each others mind.
  17. JediRia Jedi Master

star 2
    TK421 is correct! Vader say's "don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed, the ability to destroy a planet is still insignificant next to the force" or something along those lines. Perhaps Admiral Motti was diretly resoponsible for getting the thing built...who knows, who cares?! Just enjoy the saga, and stop analyzing it to death! :D
  18. Rev_Leidu Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, presonally what I hear, Lucas has to give the person writing the EU book PERMISSION to write it. If he deems it worthy to be written, do you not think that the EU is INDEED cannon? He has to tell the EU authors if they can or cannot have something in the book before they can write it.

In my eyes, I think that gives us reason to believe that the EU is cannon!

And the EU does not suck, wwhoever says that. Without it, there would be no more new Star Wars entertainment after Ep III comes out.

Ria: here, here! You people need to stop analyzing so much! It's fiction! ENJOY IT! NOT DESTROY IT! *shakes head*
  19. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Okay, presonally what I hear, Lucas has to give the person writing the EU book PERMISSION to write it.

Where have you heard that? From another EU fan?

He's given authors permission to expand on his stories. He doesn't personally approve each and every book; there are people in LFL's literature section who do that. He has very little involvement in it (his words).

If he deems it worthy to be written, do you not think that the EU is INDEED cannon?

No. It is not canon, and it never will be canon. Only the movies are canon. Lucas has permitted any number of tie in products. The EU is just another tie in product.

He has to tell the EU authors if they can or cannot have something in the book before they can write it.

Each author is given guidelines which he wrote at one point in time. He does not personally consult each and every author about each and every detail. Hence the authors running away with their Mary Sues/Gary Stus and all the grotesque Force superpowers and superweapons.

In my eyes, I think that gives us reason to believe that the EU is cannon!

Quote from George Lucas:

"They exist outside my universe."

In my eyes, that gives us reason to believe that the EU is a tie-in product. The EU novels aren't even consistent among themselves, to say nothing of how inconsistent they are with the movies.

And the EU does not suck, wwhoever says that. Without it, there would be no more new Star Wars entertainment after Ep III comes out.

The EU sucks. And if the only SW entertainment that comes out after Episode III is the EU, I would rather have none at all.
  20. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    You guys need to throw all this EU evidence out the window. Lucas said so himself that the books are a parallel universe and in no way interfere with his. So all that BS about Tarkin designing the Death Star is just that. As far as we know, The Geonsians designed the Death Star. Why else would Poggle have the copy of it in his computer and hand it over to Dooku? If anybody else had it, it would be in their possesion. But no, Poggle has it, meaning his people designed it, and were originally going to construct it, until Dooku took it from them. Tarkin and all these other Joe-Smoes that nobody has ever heard about it have nothing to do with it. Yeah you could say that there is no evidence in the movie that Tarkin diidn't design it. But there is no evidence in the movie that Jar Jar didn't design it either.

EU doesn't belong here. Key words are Star Wars FILMS.

By the way, Princess Leia called Tarkin, Grand Moff Tarkin in ANH, so we do know what his name is from the movies, not the EU. Lucas came up with the name, Ewoks, as well as all the other names mentioned in the films. These are not EU creations. Read the Star Wars scripts. These are considered canon unless a revision is made. Someone mentioned that George had said that Tarkin designed the Death Star way back when; well he also said that Owen was Obi-wan brother. So the moral of the story is, the movies are the ultimate source of information; not books and old comments made over 20 years ago.
  21. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
    Then again you can always spin something so that it plays to your on interest. Just because he has it at the time of the battle does not translate to him having much more then that. Where do you get that they are building it?
  22. Rev_Leidu Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Shelley: Oh, wow, I was misinformed. Whoopie! [face_plain]

Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine. Personally, I say that EU is cannon. If you think it's not, fine. Don't think it is. But don't bash it either. And that is directed to all you EU bashers out there or in this thread.
  23. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    You are entitled to believe its Canon even though Lucas said its not. So if you don't want to believe Uncle George, the Creator of Star Wars, then believe whatever you want.
  24. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    How come it's okay to bash the movies, the actors, Lucas, et al but not the EU?

Since when is the EU above reproach?
  25. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you, finally we get some thing constructive done! Seriously, its all in the eye of the beholder, believe what you want, and dont like what you dont like

Shelly: no one ever said that EU was infalable, we are simply trying to ligitmize it in the minds of some who do nothing but ridacule it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.