main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Major Error in MEDSTAR I

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Did you notice that one character mentions the "Star Wars kind of Hypocratic swearing" was introduced during the Stark Hyperspace Conflict? We know from the Pre-Naboo Comic that it was some decades ago only. But he says it was 5000 years ago, refering to the Hyperspace Wars and Sith Wars later on.

2. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Yeah, we noticed. Someone even pointed that out to authors. I believe that the response was something along the lines of "oops."

3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Yes, Michael Reaves himself read that and said it would be corrected in the reprinting.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    *Shrugs* Mistakes happen. I actually noticed it, which is something rare.

5. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I didn't catch that one at all.

One that I did catch, but not in MEDSTAR, is that Jan Dodonna is seen alive and well aboard an Aliance ship AFTER the evacuation of Yavin in SW:Empire: Idiot's Array. I just noticed this when rereading it today.

Maybe it was his Force Ghost watching over his colleagues. Oh, wait! He wasn't even really dead! LOL How are they going to explain this one?

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    The character was just wrong.

7. packhowitzerjedi

packhowitzerjedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2004
    Not really, it does not seem like it is that big of a deal.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    ...So they *are* going to fix this gaffe in subsequent printings?

Presumably, they'll be doing the same to Cestus Deception, and the "Jabiim" kafuff that made its way in.

Dunno what, if anything, they might do about Barnes's (interesting) "For half a millennium Coruscant had glittered, a goldren-towered centerpiece of the Republic's galactic crown" bit, since it does add an intriguing new wrinkle to the preceding post-Ruusan centuries, and points to something vastly more complex occurring during the "Republic Reformation" epoch.

9. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Presumably, they'll be doing the same to Cestus Deception, and the "Jabiim" kafuff that made its way in.

That one is both harder and easier to do; while it would involve more work than "Stark" -> "Great" since it's more that's wrong--enough that I doubt it would happen in a new hardcover printing (which probably won't happen anyways--IIRC, Vision of the Future was the last SW HC with multiple printings) since everything has to be laid out from scratch for the paperback reprint anyways, changing a longer passage requires no additional effort.

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Right, but not a new hardcover printing. That never happens. It'd have to be for the forthcoming softcover edition, which occurs quite often in the media-SF world (the B5 novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows received a bit of after-correction when some NASA folks reviewed it and pointed to a particular chapter's planetary physics being "off" by a couple of decimals).

The "Jabiim" error, though, boils down to the alteration of one single word; Mace and Kenobi and whomever else were discussing various combat-related setbacks the Republic had experienced in recent months, of which there were many. It wouldn't be that much of an exertion to swap out the one for another...say, "Rhen Var," "Bakura," or "Mirgoshir," depending upon what the hell actually ended up happening there.

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Weighed against the NJO, hardly a major error.

12. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    is that Jan Dodonna is seen alive and well aboard an Aliance ship AFTER the evacuation of Yavin in SW:Empire: Idiot's Array. I just noticed this when rereading it today.

Maybe it was his Force Ghost watching over his colleagues. Oh, wait! He wasn't even really dead! LOL How are they going to explain this one?

Perhaps it's during the yavin evacuation time period so he hasn't faked his death yet.

did they mention dodonna by name? it might just be some other member of the Gray Cadre, that was going for a dodonna-ish beard.
    considering the characterizations of the other human characters in IA wasn't that great, one could imagine that the bearded man could be someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.