main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Major incident outside UK Parliament

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't know about safely...

You can read about my triumphant return here!

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/new-best-friends-club-thread.50025599/page-447#post-54215588

DanielUK likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

So sad to hear that your family was victim of terrorism. Britith resilience is very well known.

I am glad that Khan has more or less fixed his stupid initial statement on how terrorism is "part and parcel of living in a big city"...

“Londoners should be aware that there will be additional armed and unarmed police officers on our streets from tonight in order to keep Londoners, and all those visiting out city safe.
    “I want to reassure all Londoners, and all our visitors, not to be alarmed. Our city remains one of the safest in the world.
    “London is the greatest city in the world and we stand together in the face of those who seek to harm us and destroy our way of life.
    “We always have and we always will. Londoners will never be cowed by terrorism.”

His statement shows the proper reaction. Concrete actions to prevent this from happening again, as much as possible.

And yes, some posts in this thread were a little off tone when trying to show resilience. Some are almost a mockery of the situation, which was not funny.

And it is not a matter of having/not having family members of the victims on a Star Wars forum as Talos of Atmora mentioned, it is just respecting their pain and not saying "although the pub i was trapped in stopped selling San Miguel so I had to revert to kronenberg 1664. pray for me" like someone posted a few pages back.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Please park the outrage bus somewhere else.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

You mean the respect bus.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Was Khan wrong? He wasn't excusing terrorism, he was pointing out that big cities are targets, and if you're living in one that's going to be something you'll have to accept. I'm a New Yorker born and raised, Ive accepted that living here puts me at a greater risk than if I lived in a suburb or a rural area. I don't understand this outrage over what Khan said. I wonder if it's because Khan said it.

6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It's because he is a Muslim, didn't denounce Islam and convert to Christianity in the middle of London. Or something.

Darth Punk and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Is anyone other than Trump Jr and his ilk outraged? Because...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A big, high-profile city is an ideal terrorist target, that's not disrespect, that's reality. Over a decade back, evening of 7 July, I was on a packed train at Liverpool St, two older guys behind me and it was a great little exchange to hear:
    • Been a while, when was your last one?
    • Hmm, '94, Docklands bomb.
    Trump Jr apparently can't understand that nor that that comment was from September 2016, so nothing to do with yesterday's attack:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/donald-trump-jr-tweet-london-mayor-sadiq-khan

Mar17swgirl and DanielUK like this.
  9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Just gonna leave this here....

[​IMG]

A Sinn Fein fundraising event (when the money went to the IRA)

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

LOL! Well to be fair you could probably find pics Adams and McGuinness enjoying the "company" of anybody who was anybody in the US elite during the 1980's.

At the time a lot of people in America seemed to have a romantic view of Sinn Fein/IRA as being some sort of "freedom-fighters" from the motherland... 9/11 wised some of them up (but by no means all)

Nobody is "downplaying" anything but nor' should we throw ourselves into a pit of grief and despair.

The UK in general and London in particular has a lot of experience of terrorist outrages from Guy Fawkes in 1605 to Khalid Masood yesterday. And when you have such a long history. When as a people you have already seen it all and done it all many times over, you tend to be able to keep things in perspective.

Darth Punk , Jedi Ben and DanielUK like this.
  11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    5th person has died. Police have confirmed a 75 year old male life support has been withdrawn.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I heard several of the victims have head injuries... So I suspect sadly the death toll may continue to rise over the coming days as treatment with withdrawn on some of these patients.

13. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    :p

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This is great. I've never seen someone consolidate all the wrongness in a concise package like this.

Americans basically funded the IRA. Give a bunch of undereducated gun nuts a notion of a "cause" that they think is like theirs (no, not proxy French imperialism) and they'll fund and equip the **** out of a terrorist organisation.

yeurgh, Jedi Ben, G-FETT and 2 others like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

I agree.

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's good that you're efficient in your erroneous assumptions. :)

yeurgh likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Uh. so what was Brexit if not mass hysteria over immigration?

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    No. And this thread isn't about Brexit.

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That was less of a short term panic over a single incident and more of the public being systematically lied to and told that all their problems are caused by immigrants. You know, not unlike the fashion in which a pedophile grooms his victim, so that in the end they don't even realise they're being abused.

yankee8255 likes this.
  20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Exit polls showed over half of Brexit voters main issue was sovereignty.....immigration was a second or third issue to them. But, this thread is about terrorism.

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Do you really think an average Leave voter (or for that matter, any average voter) could properly define what sovereignty means? :p Much less realise that the benefits gained by willingly surrendering a little part of sovereignty in order to cooperate with one's nearest neighbours far outweigh its loss?

But you're right, let's not talk about Brexit here.

22. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    That quote was from an article published LAST YEAR, it was not an 'initial statement'.

Better to have Blitz spirit than be a self-indulgent whoopsie.

Also, it's really not that big a deal. About 1,800 people die every day in the UK, with an average of 2.2 murders per day that we very seldom make any kind of fuss about.

I guess I can't really have a problem with you being offended by Britishness (given that I'm deeply offended by Americanness) but at least get your facts straight.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    This happened during the Paris attackers. A minority on here were quite angry (for some reason) because we weren't sad enough.

24. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Maybe they should all have a good show of mourning and a new facebook 'solidarity' filter every day for civilian victims of drone strikes.

***holes kill people, yes it's sad, life goes on.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News report is saying the attacker spent time in Saudi Arabia and also used cocaine in the past.