main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Major render settings problem

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by HenrikSolberg, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenrikSolberg

HenrikSolberg Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    I've finished some animations in 3ds MAX that I want to render out in a widescreen format. Thereafter I will edit it in Final Cut Pro and at last I will put it on a DVD together with some other footage that is 4:3.

My plan is therefore to render it in some kind of widescreen format (like 16:9) and thereafter add it on a 4:3 project in Final Cut Pro. I know I don't get a widescreen format then, but at least it looks so on a normal 4:3 tv or computer.
    It is to advanced for me to combine the 4:3 footage with the widescreen footage on a single DVD (I don't even know if it is possible in my DVD authoring program (Ulead DVD Workshop), it is therefore I do it this way.

But my question is what should my settings be?
    1. What should the pixel aspect ratio be? Is the pixel aspect ratio the same if the picture aspect ratio change?
    2. What widescreen format should I use (16:9)
    3. I am also rendering some animations in 4:3 should I use the size: 720x576?
    4. Should the widescreen animations also have a width on 720?

The reason to why I am confused is because of this site, Conversions, and I am not sure of what that will look best?

I'm using PAL!
    Anyone who could give me a short answer?

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Well, 3ds Max already has a lot of settings for widescreen in the render settings, plus you can change the size if you want to. I don't know if it's PAL though. Look for the Anamorphic settings, those are widescreen like in the movies.

3. HenrikSolberg

HenrikSolberg Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    Well, my problem is not which widescreen (picture) aspect ratio to choose!

But witch pixel aspect ratio to choose when I am making the film for use on DVD later?

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Well, I suppose the most obvious answer would be to look at your DVD and figure out what pixel ratio it uses. Then just use that.

Will this be all-CG? If not, if you've got live footage, your CG ratios should match the live footage.

5. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Also, once you import the video into the dvd program, it will stretch the size to fit the screen so if you have anything that is smaller that the screen in either width or hieght, then you have to do the black bars to make the aspect the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.