main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Make it work!" - Project Runway 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    If there was any two designers I didn't want to see back, it was those two. God, bring back Alison, please!

I was happy for Laura, that she was able to do something other than a V neck - I like her, even if I think she's somewhat limited creatively as a designer. I adore almost everything Michael does, so I'm rooting for him to win the show. I don't care if Uli does a lot of prints - I don't think her design is the same every time, and she does a beautiful job with prints - I agreed with the judges about her sleeves though. But I'd love to see a whole collection from her. I hate Jeffrey. He seems to get away with things that they criticize other designers for. I thought he should have gotten far worse criticism than "a little cheap". I thought his outfit looking far more like a "working woman" as Michael put it, more than Kayne's did. Even in LA, that outfit looked inappropriate for a cocktail party. Yuck. I don't really want to see a whole collection from him, even if it might be more interesting than one from Laura's. I actually liked Kayne's outfit too - I thought it was very restrained. But then I liked his couture gown too. Don't know about a whole collection by him though.

Angela and Vincent's runway fashions were both hideos. Ugh, Angela and those stupid rosettes and ruffles. Ruffles everywhere! I hated that shrug she made. Ick. And did you all notice she was wearing a bubble skirt when they brought her in? And what's with those rubber farm boots? And did you notice when Laura said that Angela's was a group challenge, and Angela said, that she was the designer and thus responsible for the win, and then they showed the footage of her wanting to put rosettes all over the pants, and Laura stopping her?

Ok, I guess that was kind of a huge rant, sorry!

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    So...Maggie, let me get this straight - you don't like Angela?

:p :p :p

I was horrifed to see both her and Vincent. ugh. I'm so glad they both got kicked back off the runway. yuck.

I was sad to see Kayne go too but expected it. Nina's perpetual concern with his 'taste level' meant we'd never see him at Bryant Park.

I am thrilled THRILLED for Laura. And I'm happy with the final four. I'm picking Michael to win it all.
    I'm not sure who will end up being the decoy though, next week will be interesting.

I believe the Bryant Park show is tomorrow so images from all four collections will be available tomorrow. Do we want to refrain from posting any links to them in here? I know I'll be looking but I'm sure others will want to wait until the episode airs in a few weeks. :)

3. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I know I'd love it if you posted some links! =) Other people don't have to click on them.

I really got a bit sick when I saw Vincent and Angela walk in, waited so long for them to go only to come back? The producers must realize that they aren't popular else they may have done this differently.

Sadly as far as I've read/heard elsewhere online there won't be an episode next week, but the week after. So sad =( too long a wait!!

4. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I'll have to see if I can catch a glimpse of the collections tomorrow. I'm sure my sis-in-law will be going to it (buyer for Barney's), maybe I can get a re-cap from her :)

5. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I just got hooked on P R. I saw this thread but had no idea what it was until I was flipping through channels one night! I love it (and I'm not into those type shows), probably from sewing costumes! Which is why we're here! I'm glad to see the pregnant girl win! (don't know her name) But her model helped her - gave her advice on making it young looking. That was nice!
    I would love to do this if there was something on a smaller scale locally!

6. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I did think the editing was kind of...restrained, perhaps? on Vincent and Angela this time, as opposed to previously. Perhaps they've noticed our extreme displeasure.

7. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Ok, I'm looking at the Getty images from the runway shows...

First impressions:

Michael's show, while it pains me to say it, is not working for me. It feels a little slutty, and not in a good way. :(

Uli seems to have achieved a mix of things that look exactly like what you'd expect from her, and then an assortment of modern-day Barbarella stuff (which I'm digging, for the most part).

Laura's stuff is pretty, but not super surprising. There's one little outfit I am totally adoring, with a small fitted champagne colored blazer and hot pants (I think it's pants, not a mini skirt), and a strangely charming little tulle wrap that seems to go under tha jacket...

Jeffrey's a shocker. Lots of color, lots of extremely cute dresses. So far, I'm loving it!

8. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    OK, I had company on Wednesday and Thursday, so just now getting to post.

My company was a class mate and roommate from college where we both studied Fashion Design, so take away food and watching Project Runway, eating and making catty comments was our evening's entertainment.

When they said they were bring out "Special Guests" I knew it was that they would be bringing back the auf'ed designers. But I didn't connect it to what Heidi kept saying "that winning a challenge has benefits that will be revealed at later date"

I think if I leaned my head out the window after both Angela and Vincent were brought back, I would hear a chorus of screams from most of you!

I was hoping that Angela would not remember that she does know how to make a cocktail dress that Heidi said she "wanted one in every color" (the Audrey inspired little black dress). If Angela had tapped into that look again and done something with same taste level and construction level she could have been a contender for the win and come back in.
    Because if you look at the dress closely, http://www.bravotv.com/blog/timstake/2006/09/black_and_white.php?page=4 it's same basic shape as the "Audrey" cocktail dress, but with Angela's own wacky embellishments.

I was not worried about Vincent, his stuff is so poorly made and his one win was a fluke (Uli should have won).

I was bummed that Robert did not win the 1st challenge with his supper cute white dress with red trim and silver straps. If they had picked that one over the uninspired blue dress, Robert could have been given another shot at PR.

Hip Hip Horary for Laura, after her collar flopping on the Couture gown, she pulled out a perfectly made dress that was so much better then the rest of the dresses (most of which I felt were the designers worst efforts to date).

9. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Wow...this was a real hum-dinger of a week. I think Kayne was too tired to realize they said black AND white but I thought the back was interesting still. The whole "use all your fabric" is a tough thing...but so easily correctible - hello ever hear of LINING?! HATS? the designers whined a little too much about that I think...and Angela stuffing a purse? Not even a purse she made...heaven's sake! Oh Angela Angela...does that woman even KNOW what Edwardian is? I would say that was more "Renaissance" collar and even then it sucked. The woman has no taste. And I think Laura was right...Angela's "win" was not really HER win...it was her TEAM'S win and she wouldn't have won if Michael and Laura wouldn't have kept her from hanging herself with those stupid "fleurcions" or whatever she calls those ugly little things! UGH

I'm glad Laura finally won one. It really gave her the ego boost she needed to go on I think. And the dress was really adorable! Uli's was nice too. I thought it had a "go-go" style to it and the judges were just being incredibly nit-picky on her because it was still a "Uli" dress. Micheal's was very elegant. He really is impressive sometimes, especially with his presentations. The belt was really cute too.

But wow...Jeffrey...who does he design for? LA hookers? That was just like way down on the eww scale in my book (only ewwed more by Angela's).

I'm not sure how the taping of this show goes, but as I read it, it seems like it's pretty much every day. So did Vincent even go "home" before he came back? I think he needed a little more sleep. Of course it didn't help that his model was in an accident and he had a replacement but was Gia that much shorter than the one they replaced her with that his dress was so short? Oh well. I guess this is the last time we'll see those two (for a while anyway, until Bravo gives them a stupid spin off show or something).

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    If you want to see the runway shows click this link: http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/Product.aspx?p=3&e=0&pg=1&am=-1
    You'll have to search that page for each individual designer and click on one of their images. The pictures are labeled with their names below.

:D :D

I'm in love with Laura and Jeffrey.

11. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    Okay...how pregnant is Laura now? I didn't recognize her in that picture.

12. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Spoilers..........................about the final collections....................I couldn't help it, I looked at Getty.

I'm pleasantly supprised with Jeffery's collection, but a bit concerned that he had too many color/fabric stories in such a small collection. I would have like to be able to mix/match a few more pieces and not just have them be stand alone/statement pieces. It falls some where in-between being a sports wear line and a dress and individual pieces line. I think he fell into same trap that Santino did: "I'll show them I can do feminine and elegant" and then lost their edge/signature.

Michael's collection is not what I was expecting from him, but it is slick well constructed. It's mostly "statement" pieces and not meant as a mix/match sportswear line. I'm still a Michael fan, but don't know if the collection did all it need to for him to win. But then maybe it is.

Laura's collection is pure Laura but with a younger flair that she finally nailed on her cocktail dress. Please send me one of each and every garments in this collection, and then a ton of $$$$ so I can swan around chic supper clubs in NYC.
    If Laura does not win the grand prize, I could totally see a department or specialty store having her do a line for them. Perfect chic dress up clothing. It's not everyone's taste, but it's dead on for the section of the market that loves this look.

Uli's collection is very Uli. Lot's of her signature look, but some of the items that were not prints kinda fell flat. Again it's dead on for that sector of the market, but is that beachy, printy, market a big enough? Can Uli design for a bigger demographic?

13. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    If anyone wants to check out the (non PR) designer collections for Spring 2007 http://www.style.com has allot of them nicely searchable.

And at some point the images for various PR contestants and alum will be up on the Olympus site.
    (though probably just the same Getty Images

Keep checking for spoiler stuff:
    http://www.olympusfashionweek.com/spring2007/designers/project_runway/

http://www.olympusfashionweek.com/spring2007/designers/jay_mccarroll/index.html

And BYW here is what Michael Kors showed:
    http://www.olympusfashionweek.com/spring2007/designers/michael_kors/index.html
    http://www.style.com/fashionshows/collections/S2007RTW/review/MKORS

*starts to fall asleep* Is that all you got Mr. Kors? Solids of Black, White, Grey, Tan, and a bit of ballet pink?
    While it's cohesive, not a single garment will have me running out to the store to covet it, try it on and decide I can't spend that much $$$$ on one garment and still pay my rent.
    The collection IS perfect for a ballet dancer with a trust fund.

14. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I couldn't resist looking at the pics either, but I didn't look too closely!

Overall, I was surprised how much I liked Jeffrey's. I was disappointed in Michael's, because I agree that it looked a little slutty. Or overly sexy? Not slutty in the "Jeffrey cocktail dress" way. Laura's seemed, well, Laura. It did look like she reused her cocktail dress - the black lace overlay with fringe. Uli's was prints, but I didn't think they looked as elegant as some of her other stuff. Again, I didn't look too closely. That was just an initial impression and subject to change.

As for Michael Kor's collection, it looked almost like he stole a little from all the PR people! I saw Laura's deep V necklines in there, and Michael's wide belts. Kind of funny! No fleurchans or whatever they called Angela's stupid rosettes though! It was kind of a very basic collection, in style and color palette, but there were a few gowns I really liked. :)

15. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Jeffery's cocktail challenge dress looked very cheap and streetwalkery and I don't even think a buyer at Forever 21, Charlotte Ruse or any of those young trend chain stores would touch something like it with a 10 foot pole, let alone an upscale boutique or dept. store.

The only cocktail Jeffery's dress looked appropriate for is something that involves matches, a spoon, and various illicit substances.

16. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I kind of wish I hadn't looked at them now [face_plain] I really wasn't that impressed with any of the collections. I liked a few pieces but overall I didn't really care for any of them.

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Blarharharharharhar! [face_laugh]

I'm a huge Jeffrey fan but I really dislked his cocktail party outfit. It just didn't look good...blech.

Ok, I've only looked once at the runway photos and very quickly at that, but I am in love with Laura's collection. I want all of her clothes too! I also adored the shoes with the ribbons that her models wore. Laura is a class act!

Dude, Michael...uh...yikes. My first impression is that I'm very disappointed. His looks remind me of the pieces in his portfolio from the audition epsiode. I'm wondering if he is the decoy? Nazri is shown modeling for Uli instead of him. Hmmmm.

Jeffrey. I love it. I need to look at his line more closely, but I love it.

Uli is marketable. But she tends to bore me. I think I need to look at her's more closely too.

Jay McCarroll shows this evening, in fact he may be showing right now. I CAN'T wait to see his line and order some of his stuff. :D

18. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    Hmm I think Uli is basically going to have to market to the "Palm Springs" crowd. Michael's collection is a bit risqué. But Laura's is quite charming. I don't know about Jeffrey though...He's too "edgy" for me.

19. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    I wonder what surprise they tossed at the final designers?

In the previews, Heidi says "we are not committed to a final 3 this year" So does that mean they went with a final two, OR final four? What's it all about, Heidi? (insert music here)

And did they do anything like last year with here is someone that got auf'ed, now go quick make another garment with them. Or would the designers be expecting that?

And Jay's back stage photos are already up on Getty, beehive wigs and anti fur patches. The show should be up soon! Looks like a white jacket and some bright colors in the background of the one back stage shot.

Edit: As I'm typing this Jay's collection is being uploaded.

Edit again: I have no words to describe Jay's collection.

It's part Mod, part 80's, part Willy Wonka, part Blade Runner. It's men's and women's. I'm still not sure if I like it of not, will have to study the photos some more.

20. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Ack, can someone post a link to Jay's collection? I'd love to see it!

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    The link to Jay's pictures on Getty Images doesn't work as a link here (too long, I think) but you can cut and paste: (just add the http:// to the beginning of this:)

editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/imageResults.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c71632229%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=3&tag=1

I really love several pieces from Jay's collection. :)

22. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks, Dawn!

Wow, that's a lot of yellow! That is a wierd collection of stuff between the beehives and the Aeon Flux hair, and the blocks of color like a Mondrian painting! I do like that he uses quilting in his fashions. I did like a few pieces there as well. :)

23. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002

copy and paste

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71900983.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB941752C55A1BB070

OMG! Those
    REALLY put the Bug in Bug Eyed Sunglasses! It's a fly! [face_laugh]

The rest of the collection is quite interesting, nothing there that I personally like, but it's interesting none-the-less.

24. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I really liked much of Jay's collection. Very different and interesting. He had some crazy sunglasses alright! lol.

I can't say I found much to my liking in the collections of the final four,... I'm not up for watching video online, but maybe I'll like them better in motion.

Has anyone else seen the tv ad on Bravo for the next episode? Not only is the next episode not airing next week (9/27 instead), the end of the commercial has Heidi saying something like they aren't restricted to a final 3 this season...(I forget her exact wording..) either they look at all 4 of them equally or there's another challenge for the final 3, this certainly is getting much more interesting!

25. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.