main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Make it work!" - Project Runway 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    Well, damn it to the seven levels of hell...

Jeffrey, you're a very talented jerk. Congrats.

2. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Malan was in your store, Benae Quee? That's so cool!!

After seeing all four collections live, I felt differently about them than I did after seeing stills. I loved everything of Uli's on the runway, and I didn't like Jeffrey's nearly as much. I liked Michael's final gown, even if the judges didn't!

3. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Jeffrey had the best collection, IMO. I liked Uli's as well. I really didn't like Laura's collection: all those feathers were just not attractive. Her attention to detail and her sewing abilities are just astounding, but her style is too limited. I was so disappointed by Michael's collection. I hoped that the film from the show would look a lot better than the photos that were online. That was the case for Uli's collection, but it made Michael's look a bit worse.

Is it too early to wish for a new season to start?

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    :D Jeffrey's collection was fantastic in motion. I'm so thrilled that he won!

(And now we know why he dumped the wigs!)

5. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I liked Jeffery's a lot better when I saw it on the runway than I did just from the stills and I do think his was the best. Everyone else's collection only had like one outfit that I actually liked. There were way too many feathers in Laura's collection but I did like the long dress with the black flower design and the feather wrap thing...if you remove the feathered thing anyway. I too was disappointed with Michael's collection. I would have liked the short green dress he did if only it were even a little longer. I thought Uli's last dress was the best one of her collection.

6. Emmadala

Emmadala Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    I was so excited that Jeffrey won! There weren't very many exciting designers this season *coughVincentcough* so I was happy he was recognized for his talent and creativity. I was disappointed by Michael's and Laura's collection bored me. Uli's collection was really cute but I couldn't see myself wearing any of her designs. Is anyone else here going to try out for PR4? I'm planning on trying out as long as the auditions happen after I turn 21.

7. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    I dunno...I wouldn't have wanted to be a judge for that one...it was a tough decision. I, personally ADORED Laura's collection! Her craftsmanship and couture appeal is wonderful and I think she'll be working with Bagley Mischka before long! I was disappoint with Michael's collection just from the stills, the bathingsuits especially looked "uncomfortable". But what surprised me the most was...I thought the judges said they were going to give it to ULI! They ALL said women LOVE her clothes...they are wearable, the "resort clothing industry" is the biggest thing right now...so why all of sudden they said "Jeffrey" SHOCKED the heck out of me! Yes he's edgey...but edge isn't everything. I thought the first three designs down the runway looked like hanging bags...they were horrible! And the little baby doll on the model with no boobs looks like...well like he was trying to design for a child and missed. The strings on the bathing suit? WHAT was that about?! Did you ever see anyone go swimming with so many things that could get caught on something and make you drown?! AHHH The ONLY dress of his I liked was the one with all the zippers that Marilinda wore. I dunno...I think Uli should have won. She showed a variety, a range, as well as her signature styles. Oh well. I guess I should have tried out so I could really complain ;)

Gee...when does the NEXT season start? What am I gonna do Wednesday nights now? LOL Dancing with the stars is winding down too...gee

8. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I really think Uli should have had it. I would have worn almosat all of her designs. I loved Jeffrey's collection too, but I think Uli should have won. Michael's collection looked no better in motion than they did in the photos - a little too 70's inspired for my tastes. Laura's was nice, but not for me, I'd probably never wear anything she makes.

9. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I didn't like that baby doll dress Jeffry did either - the model looked pregnant. Ick.

I liked that Uli mixed up the prints and solids - I liked all her pieces when I saw them on the runway!

I thought Laura's work was beautiful as well - and very, well, Laura! :)

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    What's wrong with looking pregnant? :p
    I know, women who aren't pregnant shouldn't look pregnant in their clothes. :) But I didn't get that impression from Jeffrey's dress.

For me Uli's collection was beautiful, marketable, all the things the judges said it was. But it didn't seem as fresh or new as Jeffrey's. I feel like I've seen Uli's clothes before and aside from her use of prints I don't see as much innovation as I do in Jeffrey's.

Again, for me the genius in Jeffrey's designs are in the details. The way he drapes and pleats, the way he handles stripes. The zipper details...it's all very exciting to me. I would love to wear pieces from his collection but I actually can't see myself in much of anything that Uli sent down the runway.

Like Tim Gunn says, it usually comes down to personal taste. :)

edit:I forgot to mention that Jay's clothing will be available next Feburary at Urban Outfitter stores. Hurray!

11. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I feel deflated now that it is all over. As much as I rooted for Jeffrey in particular challenges (like the recycled garbage challenge) he doesn't give me the warm fuzzies so it was difficult for me to want him to win this final fashion show challenge. It seemed like a really tough call between Laura, Uli and Jeffery!

Michael's collection just looked cheap. The poor guy looked so sad when he had to hear the critiquing of the judges. I thought he was about to cry, so they suddenly had to calm him down by talking up his work saying 'all your pieces fit well' - etc.

Laura seemed to get the most audience applause for each garment that came down the runway. Her work was just so beautiful and rich looking! It is a shame that the thing that kept her from winning is that she didn't show range, no casual wear mixed in. I still think there is a market for what she does and she could easily have a career in fashion.

So that left me with Uli and Jeffery. Resort wear vs edgy rocked out slightly odd stuff. I think it was a blessing that Jeffery had to ditch the wigs. I believe they would have detracted from the garments. And why keep bringing up that he was over budget? Once the wigs were dropped you didn't see anything on the runway that put him over budget. I agree, the least flattering outfit of his was the maternity looking dress. It wasn't just that it made her look pregnant, even if someone were pregnant I just don't think that large amount of stiff tutu poof going around the entire waist line was flattering. The green striped dress was kind of cool, but I still wonder if it would end up in the 'don't' page if a celeb wore it to an event.

Those are my reactions on record!

Kris
    - I think it's so cool that Malan was in your store! I wish he had stayed on the show longer, something tells me he would have made better clothes than Vincent and still been an interesting character.

12. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    It looks like everyone agrees!
    I was so excited watching the show - things did look much better than stills!
    I did agree with the judges decisions and everything they said.

Michaels collection was disapointing - I did want him to win.
    Jeffrey was the only logical choice.
    I wonder if the things he said in the interviews had anything to do with the final decision?
    about how he was doing this to support his family and the importance he gave them at the show.
    He seems to be the most promising designer to suceed as far as being ready.
    I don't think Laura minds. I think Uli is set. and Michael shows great potential like they said!

13. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    OK here is what posted: 9/15 10:06am when I looked at the Getty Images:

I'm pleasantly surprised with Jeffery's collection, but a bit concerned that he had too many color/fabric stories in such a small collection. I would have like to be able to mix/match a few more pieces and not just have them be stand alone/statement pieces. It falls some where in-between being a sports wear line and a dress and individual pieces line. I think he fell into same trap that Santino did: "I'll show them I can do feminine and elegant" and then lost their edge/signature.

Michael's collection is not what I was expecting from him, but it is slick well constructed. It's mostly "statement" pieces and not meant as a mix/match sportswear line. I'm still a Michael fan, but don't know if the collection did all it need to for him to win. But then maybe it is.

Laura's collection is pure Laura but with a younger flair that she finally nailed on her cocktail dress. Please send me one of each and every garments in this collection, and then a ton of $$$$ so I can swan around chic supper clubs in NYC.
    If Laura does not win the grand prize, I could totally see a department or specialty store having her do a line for them. Perfect chic dress up clothing. It's not everyone's taste, but it's dead on for the section of the market that loves this look.

Uli's collection is very Uli. Lot's of her signature look, but some of the items that were not prints kinda fell flat. Again it's dead on for that sector of the market, but is that beachy, printy, market a big enough? Can Uli design for a bigger demographic?

===================================================================================================================
    When I watched the runway show, I commented to my sister that Jeffery's short and long blue dress didn't go with the collection and were duds. The Judge Fern said the same thing in the critique. But the collection did show range and that is what the judges were looking for.

Michael's collection in motion looked more Donatella Versace then Gianni Versace (I find some of Donatella's designs to be quite tacky) Michael's lack of maturity and knowing who he is as a designer showed. But hopefully he will get a job as an assistant designer with one of the major companies and after a while put out his own line.

I still love Laura's collection, but realize it's not everyone taste. It was so well crafted and very polished. I hope someone picks up the line and manufactures it.

Everyone says women want to wear Uli's dresses. Um, not me. For the most part, her stuff does nothing for me. Yeah maybe if I was going on a cruise, I *might* want one flowy print dress. But living in NYC, I have no use for her collection.

p.s: Cool, I will have to check out Jay's stuff when it hits the stores, I adore Jay!

14. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    That's kind of funny, because after the horrible summer here in PA, even I saw some of Uli's outfit's I wouldn't mind wearing to parties or even church - with a little higher neck or non-seethrough slip under them, of course. I think Uli's joie de vie comes out in her clothing...just as Jeffrey's harsh, cynical outlook on life comes out in his.

I'm just really overall disappointed that "those that have get more" in this case...here's Jeffrey, obviously from a wealthy family (as we heard when his mom was on the show), has his own business already and is already grunge designer to the stars...so here we hand him $100K more, a new car, a "mentorship" etc. Whereas, struggling immigrant Uli, brilliant new upstart Michael, or changing careers Laura each could have really used it more to start their own business. I was just kind of disappointed. And I still really have difficulty believing that Jeffrey had no help with the details of that collection. Receipts prove diddly when you have your own workshop with employees around - employees most likely experts in various fields like "lining", "seam binding" etc. I dunno. Maybe that's just my disappointment in the outcome talking, but there were no cameras on them 24/7 once they left the show.

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's utterly unfair to assume that Jeffrey got help making his clothes just because he has the resources available to him. If Laura had never made the accusation I suspect it never would have been an issue for anybody.

Here is a quote from Jeffrey that helps explain why he wanted to go on PR even though he already has a business:

TVGuide.com: You already had your own line, Cosa Nostra, and have designed for such stars as Gwen Stefani and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Why did you need this competition?
    Jeffrey: I started by making all this handmade, one-of-a-kind couture stuff, and in order to grow my business I wanted to make lower price-point, ready-to-wear stuff. But I was sort of pigeon-holed as a rock-and-roll designer ? I found it hard to make dresses and a real women's-wear line and sell it to people ? so I thought, if I go on TV and four million people see me make dresses, that's instantly going to change my image.

Seems like a valid reason to me. :)

As for the haves and have-nots, I wouldn't worry about Laura. That diamond necklace around her neck could probably fund the start of her own line. I'm confident she'll do well and be a sucessful designer. Her collection was gorgeous.

I also expect to see Uli have great success. She may end up being the most successful designer to come out of this show so far. But I still don't have an inkling of desire to wear any of her clothes myself. That said, they are lovely and there's a market out there for them. I wish her the best!

And Michael...the judges are right. He needs to mature and is not ready to begin his own line. The 100 grand wouldn't do him much good right now if he isn't designing like we all know and think he can. I still adore what he did on the show and I have high hopes for his future. :)

Thanks to everyone who partook in this thread! It's been a lot of fun and hopefully we can do it all over again when and if there is a season 4! :D

16. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Tim said in his podcast that he was glad that Laura brought things up when she did, because he would have rather investigated things then, than after the show when there is a winner. And that they were very concerned with making sure that all the receipts were checked out, and that everyone was under budget. He did say he thought Michael, who was like $1000 under budget should have spent more.

17. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    This thread really enhanced watching Project Runway for me. I wouldn?t even have known about the podcasts if it wasn?t for this thread, and I adore Tim! Thanks to Obi-Dawn for starting this and to everyone who contributed, it was so much fun. :)

18. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I would have liked Uli to win, but Jeffrey's line was excellent. I'm not a Jeffrey fan at all, but I'm glad he was able to show.

Laura's line was beautiful, but it wasn't really anything we hadn't seen before. I did love her gowns, though.

Can't wait for season 4. And hopefully we'll all be back to chat about it. :D

19. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I keep trying to watch Top Chef, but it's not the same. You can't taste if their is too much garlic in the dish they are cooking. But just about anyone can look at a garment made on PR, and be able to have an opinion about the garment, the construction, etc. And I think it's probably quite eye-opening to people that don't drape and scratch sew garments to see some of the process that goes into it. And even more so this season, with fantastic technicians like Laura who was churning out tailored garments, when in previous seasons, the contestants barely got around to putting sleeves on their designs.

20. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I just watched top chef a while ago, and while I LOVE to eat, and Will is a trained chef - neither of us can get into it. Exactly the same reason - you can't taste it or smell it, you only see the drama that was cut for the show. It's not a good sub for PR :(

I have my own Top Chef at home :D

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Is Padma Lakshmi (what a awesome name!!!!! :-B ) a better host than what's her name Mrs. Billy Joel was? She was the flattest personality around....I-)

There's a spread in this week's People magazine with Jeffrey and some of his designs. I just adore that white and green striped dress with all the zippers. It's up for auction on Bravo.com but goodness knows how much it'll go for. They also have some of the designs from all the other final collections up for bid too.

Uli launched a website for herself. http://www.uliherzner.com/ :)

22. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I agree! And, I really liked watching them fit their dress forms and sew and the whole process!

23. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    People who don't know that much about sewing might not have many opinions about the construction. Even if you can't taste the dishes you can still have opinions about the dish concept and the presentation of the dish. Like the quickfire challenge today involved making sushi and I was surprised with who won because technically, the winner didn't make sushi. It was basically clams on the halfshell on one plate and some slices of raw fish on the other with no rice in sight. In order to be sushi it MUST involve rice seasoned with vinegar, sushi doesn't have to have raw fish and raw fish by itself is sashimi. Additionally, the recipes are posted on bravotv.com so theoretically you could make and taste the them.

In some ways I prefer Top Chef since some of the dishes are really interesting and I might want to try making them myself. Even though I like looking at the garmets on Project Runway, there are very few garmets I'd consider making/buying. A lot of the garmets I haven't liked that much and even the outfits that I have liked I probably wouldn't make since a lot of them wouldn't look right on me since they are designed for people who are rather tall and I'm rather short.

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't know Bravo.com posted the recipies from Top Chef. That's cool for anyone who likes to cook. :)
    I remember watching season 1 during a marathon they had and I liked it. I have no skill in the kitchen so it was interesting to see how quickly the chefs could throw weird ingredients together and come up with stuff that looked appetizing.

25. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    It might be a new thing they are doing this season but at the end of the episode they said to go to bravotv.com for more information on the recipes used. Either that or I'm just absent minded and missed mentions of it last season. Anyway here's the link straight to the recipe page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.