main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Make it work!" - Project Runway 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I only got to watch it halfway so I'm not throwing around my opinions yet (need to re-watch it) but I will say I liked Jeffrey's crazy jacket. :)

And Keith, the winner, seems a bit too cocky for my taste.

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I was not aware of that? I thought he was using the prize money to put together his line and start his business?

- kay dee

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Ok, long time no see, so hi! -- and here are my first impressions of the first challenge episode. Sorry if it runs blathery...

SPOILER ACTION AHEAD!
    (How are we treating that?)

My fave was Kayne. Aside from the fact that I think he is darling, I REALLY liked the bodice on his kooky little dress. I heart him.

Malan is some sort of displaced Bond villain. That wacky, maniacal chuckle -- what the heck was that? I didn't hate his garment at all, though I find his personality generally irksome.

Jeffrey's dress really disappointed. I think he has major skill, but that wasn't the showcase of it. I want to like him, but I also think he's trouble on a stick. He's like that dog you want to be nice to, but then every time you try to pet it, it bites you.

Angela's dress only merited a shrug out of me. I thought the kooky flowers glued (?) on the back took it too far.

Alison's dress was cute, but didn't feel very innovative.

Bonnie's dress... well, I think it meant well, but something was totally not working for me there. I think the bodice fit problem was just too much for me to overlook.

Brandon... I'm intrigued, to say the least. His comforter dress felt very early Issey Miyake, and that's not a bad thing. Still, it didn't give me enough to make a judgement on him as a designer.

Katherine's outer garment, the hooded vest/coat made of comforter, was groovy. The dress under it had some major problems in execution, though. Poor fit, odd assembly. I'm willing to chalk it up to the odd materials of the challenge this time, though.

I know Keith won the challenge, but that dress did nothing for me. It was just kind of dull. Pretty, but dull. I think he's really cocky, but I did love his schtick about how even if you have no money, you can go out in a fabulous outfit if you're resourceful.

Laura... I'll admit it, I wanted to hate whatever she made, because she just rubs me the wrong way. But even I have to concede that the coat rocked. I freaking LOVED it, and I was surprised it didn't win.

Michael's coffee filter dress... meh. It was cute-ish and not dismaying, but it didn't really set me ablaze with interest or anything, either. It was pretty unflattering, though, in that it made a teeny stick of a girl look downright stout.

Robert's dress was super cute from the back, and (to me) kinda humdrum from the front.
    The workmanship was lovely, though. It didn't look rushed or unfinished at all.

Stacey... I will say, it looked better than I expected it to, but that's not saying much. Even if she had made it through this challenge, she wouldn't have lasted long, because honey, you can't hand-sew your way through all the challenges.

Uli...
    I had a mini-revelation during her garment's runway time. Uli is to fashion what Bjork is to music, for me. I respect their unique talent and I like it only in very tiny doses, but overall, it's not for me.

Vincent... oh, dear.
    That man seems very sweet, and like he's just about the biggest mess imaginable.
    I actually think he has some vision and talent, but it seems like his meds, whatever they may be, make him unable to focus it, you know?

As for Jay turning down the prize money, he's never really said definitively why he did so, but he has said it concerned the contractual obligations that Bravo asked for in return for the prize. He also turned down the Banana Republic mentorship; that makes sense, as his style and BR's are not really very concentric.

4. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I thought he said in an interview online somewhere something cryptic about pursuing other financial avenues or something. I would take that to mean that someone else offered him money to work on his line and in order to take that he had to turn down Bravo's money.

SG: I'd say to give a spoiler warning for information about the most recent episode to give people a chance to catch a rerun if they missed it.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

SG: Which one was Kayne's? I'm really bad with names and haven't figured out who everyone is yet.

I really thouht the coat was going to win this challenge. It was well put together and innovative with the use of materials. I thought Tim had a good point to the one guy that just used the blue bedsheets that it wasn't that different from using fabric. Laura made something really nice and put together and still used innovative things like the rugs for fur and the metal things(forget what those came from). What was the outisde of the coat made from?

The Coffee filter dress kind of reminded me of the blue skating outfit from season 2.

Did I miss something or was there no scandelous runway first in this episode? I'd been on "pins and needles" waiting for the episode to air so I could find out what the ads were alluding to...and then nothing.

5. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    That crossed my mind and makes perfect sense.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I liked the front of Kayne's dress. I'm surprised it wasn't one of the top 3. It was so cute and wearable. Much cuter than the blue bed sheet with red buttons on the back.

Keith seems to have talent, but I was a little irked that one person got kicked off for not being innovative with materials and he wasn't penalized for it (he used sheets, no more innovative than a shower curtain). True, he was able to make the sheets look like a garment and the shower curtain still kind of looked like a shower curtain rather than a garment - but if the challenge was about innovation with the materials I dont' think he should have won.

When I see Malan I think 'Slimy'. James bond villain is a good description - lol! At the same time he started to make me laugh "I personally like to use better fabrics" or whatever he said with a snear. No duh! In the end I think he's gonna be good for a laugh with that predictable pseudo-snob attitude. And his first outfit was actually kind of cool and wearable I must admit.

Poor Vincent. I see him and think the guy is manic depressive or something. It's like he needs meds to calm him down a notch so he can focus. The cashing out of 401K seems like a total Manic move anyway. :(

*edit* I think the scandal is something that happens this season in an upcoming episode. It wasn't clear to me if the previews were for next week that showed Tim asking someone to leave for breaking the rules.

6. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Jay McCarroll turned down Project Runway's $100,000 prize AND mentorship:
    The winner of Project Runway?s first season didn't?t get much after winning the show except for exposure on TV and in Elle. That?s because Jay McCarroll turned down the show?s $100,000 prize and the chance to be mentored by Banana Republic designers:
    http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/project_runway/2005_Dec_12_jay_prize

And Chloe turned down the in-person mentorship with BR and will do hers by phone:
    http://www.tv.com/project-runway/show/26278/news.html&pg_updates=1

Why did they enter the competition, if they didn't want to win the prize, namely to be mentored by BR and get a chunk of cash (granted it's not enough $$ to produce a huge line, but it's a good start).

I think they got overwhelmed, worried that they would flop on a collection and so choose to not go for it. If your not done with it, no one can critique.

I see the same thing with losts of costumers, they are perpetually researching and working on costumes, and never seem to get them done. That way they can just quote Edward Scissor hands and say "I'm not finished yet", when they should "Make it work".

7. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    OK since the episode has aired AND the photos are up on the website, only mild spoiler alert.

http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/rate/

http://www.bravotv.com/blog/timstake/2006/07/wall_to_wall_fashion.php

Robert: The little white dress with silver trim and red bow on back was super cute and I thought it would win. I would wear it in a heartbeat.

Michael: The pink with grey stripe puff sleeves. It had a really unflattering drape on the belly, I'm a size 2 to size 4 and I would look fat or preggers in it.

Keith: The dark blue halter dress. Can't believe this won. It was GENERIC, not an innovative use of 'trash a room for materials'. And come on, Keith only does men's wear and hasn't practiced women's wear?!? He should have spent every free minute before the show knocking out dresses, bathing suits, evening gowns, sportswear for women. If he doesn't have experience doing them, how is he going to do them on a tight deadline? Good thing he has immunity for the next challenge.

Laura: OK, I would kill for this white fur collar coat! When I was chatting with my sister by phone during the show, we both agreed that this was the best and that from the judges comments they were not going to pick it, and they would pick Keith or Robert instead.

Malan: He would make a great MC in Cabaret, very slimy Alan Cummins like.

Stacey: I picked her badly constructed white long dress as the "Out" design. The top just did not fit right and the actual design was GENERIC. And Stacey had trouble working the industrial sewing machine. If she didn't have a fashion school background or industry experience, why the heck didn't she find someplace to take crash course on how to work the machines. Heck get a job in a sweatshop and quit after a few days. Do what ever it takes to know how to work the tools that mean the difference between an also ran and $100,000.

Jeffrey: The jacket didn't go with the long in front short in back (what's up with that?) tattered dress. He is just too quirky to be "The Next Great American Designer" He has talent, but his style will not appeal to a broad audience.

Michael: His coffee filter dress was lovely, but I have seen coffee filter garments done for a Freshman year Fashion design project (where you had to take multiples of a single item and make a garment from it). I liked his audition pieces and think he has potential.

Vincent: My sister picked his dress as the "Out", but once I saw it w/o the dumb hat, it was not as bad as Stacey's. Vincent is a neurotic mess, but I applaud him for having the guts to get out there and try it after being out of the loop for so long. I know that my skills in churning out design sketches, draping and patternmaking are no where near as sharp as they were when I was fresh out of design school.

The rest of the pack didn't sway me one way or the other, will need to see more of their work. The editors kind of glossed over them, so you knew they would not win or get "Out".

8. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Yes! I thought the same thing. I really loved Chloe's skating dress; it would've looked so different and interesting on the ice. Pretty much everything else from that challenge was total crap, including the "winner."

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002

Hum, without knowing what the contract stipulations were it's hard to say if they were worried they would flop. Perhaps Jay's taste of the Elle photo shoot could be an insight as to why he turned down the $ and the contractual obligations of continuing to work with the Project Runway group. That photo shoot was totally dictated by people at Elle and the photographer - Jay was not happy at all about it. Maybe the same thing would have happened to his collection. I don't blame him for wanting to take the time to do it his way and he did say he is showing his collection this fall.

I know I'm one who takes a lot of time to research and fine tune my costumes. If I sound like Edward Scissor Hands because I'm not finished yet with my current project so be it. I do take a long time to get things done, but when I get started I do finish my costumes in their own good time. Being an amature and learning as I go slows me down a great deal :( But I find that if I take the time I'd rather get it done well and 'my way' rather than cut corners just to 'make it work' and not be happy with it.

I have great admiration for the designers with the skill to put things together for project runway, as well as admiration for the costumers with the skill to put together amazingly accurate costumes in a much shorter amount of time than I ever could!

- kay dee

10. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    Jaina- I dunno I think that's going a little far, at least on the winner [face_laugh] I actually liked both the winner and Chloe's but had I been Sasha Cohen I would have gone with the blue one. Some of the other skating competition ones were pretty bad though.

11. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Kay_Dee,

You get your costumes DONE, and they are stunning! I'm talking about people that have been posting for years that they are working on "X" costume and never, ever, have a finished result.
    There is difference between taking it slow to get it right, and procrastinating so that it's never wrong.

Most designers have to work for years, and be subject to other peoples whims before they have autonomy and their own collection. Personally I would have taken the mentorship and the money, learned the business, and had a successful or flop collection on their dime. If the collection was success, then no problem getting funding for another. And if it flopped, go all Diva like, say they were stifling my creativity, blah, blah, blah, and then find some other backer to fund the next collection ('cuz if your the winner you have enough buzz to crash and burn at least a few times before the funding dries up).

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Ah, OK. I guess I waver on that thin line of procratination and research because I don't want it to be wrong - yet eventually getting something done even if it takes over 2 years ;) Some costumes I've bought fabric for and researched, but are still not started (Moulin Rouge anyone - oh boy! One day I'll get to it!)

True - I personally would have taken what they gave me and ran with it. At the very least if he was interested in having his own line in stores the people at BR could have had a lot of invaluable advise for Jay. I was just trying to see it from Jay's perspective. He's a different character for sure, and seeing how upset he was about the Elle photoshoot I just wasn't too shocked he decided to go off in his own direction (for better or worse).

13. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    QA: Don't forget that some of those people who have been working on a specific costume for years may also have financial issues to deal with. For example, I'll admit that I've been telling friends I was going to make a specific costume since LoTR: The Two Towers came out. Up until fairly recently, the best I could do was plan and research because, as a poor college student, I just didn't have the money to start it(it's going to end up costing several hundred dollars in materials). I've finally saved up enough money to work on it and am hoping to have it done by DragonCon this year and enter it in the Fabrications costume contest..although I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough time to finish it. At least I don't have classes right now and can devote tons of time to it.

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I recall Jay saying that the BR mentorship turned out to be nothing more than a list of phone numbers for their overseas production houses or something. And that it was not like an internship at the BR design studio in NY, which is what I always imagined it would be like.
    I swear he talked about it in his tv special 'Project Jay'...didn't he? I haven't seen it in a very long time.

Personally, I applaud Jay for deciding to do what he felt was in his own best interests. I think he is completely sincere about learning the fashion business from the ground up and creating his brand on his own terms. Passing up the money could not have been an easy thing to do, so his reasons for doing so must have made a lot of sense to him. And I think the exposure he got from the show was priceless anyway. Go Jay! :)

Ok, I've seen the premiere episode of Season 3 three times now, but I still haven't really seen it! Argh! Too many distractions and people talking to me, my baby spitting up on me...I need a break to watch it alone. LOL!

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm so new to this, all I've seen are the extras on the Season 1 DVD and the road to runway this year. So, I missed project Jay ;) That's kind of a let down if the BR mentorship was just a phone call thing.

My husband had this idea off the bat - he assumed that if PR was giving the winner funding for their line, they may also be entitled to a piece of his action/profits in return in addition to having some kind of say over what he does with his line. I was thinking it might be like American Idol - the contestants there are given a recording contract, but it's totally dictated and organized by the AI production machine. Good for Jay for having the ambition and guts to do it himself if he wasn't keen on some part of the contract. I know I wouldn't have been so brave!

Dawn, sorry for all your distractions! I only have self imposed distractions and I also missed parts of the episode. Thank goodness for DVRs and Tivos!

16. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Do you know what my main "job" was during my Senior Fashion Design internship? Going through stack of fashion mags and cutting out all the clothing. Then I had to paste them into big books that were categorized by type of garment and then by color. Sure I knew every last color and trend, that was out that season, but would have liked to learn just a little more during the 2 days per week that I interned, besides studying magazines and knowing which shipping company had the best delivery rates for sending stuff to the off shore manufactures. Internships = grunt work.

Mentorship's are not supposed to be sit down here and do grunt work; they are supposed to be the mentor sharing knowledge and advice with the person they are mentoring.

17. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I don't remember if it was on Project Jay or in another interview where Jay mentioned he had something of a realization about couture, which is that he did not like its exclusivity.
    He didn't like the idea of designing entire lines of clothing that women like his sisters couldn't wear or buy.
    Endearing!

18. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I love Jay and Project Jay was very worth watching. I do admire that he made the decisions that were best for him even if they maybe aren't the popular decisions. In the Road to the Runway special, he did say that he had realized that he needed to learn the business side of things, and I very much respect him taking the time to do that. Having your own line is about so much more than making pretty things - which I think he gets. I think he did address the money issue in Project Jay, but I can't remember specifically what he said - I think it was like he couldn't take money from anyone else if he took PR's money - so he opted not to. I think he would have had less creative control, as well. I imagine it would be something like American Idol.

I also kind of respect Cloe's staying in Houston and trying to bring NY and Paris to her, and just expanding, rather than starting over elsewhere.

As for the new season, I can't keep anyone's name straight. I had a feeling the person who got eliminated was going to be, because they focused on her so much, and she easily had the least experience.

I kind of liked the coffee filter dress, but then, I know nothing about student design projects. And it reminded me of the skating dress from last season too. (I liked his audition pieces and I liked that he tried out the assignments that they used last season, mainly because I think it would be a fun challenge to sew along with the show!)

I liked the winning dress and I thought he did a good job selling it, which might be why he won - his "it doesn't have to look like it was made from household stuff, even if it was and evoking Scarlett vs. Carol Burnett" spiel was very effective I think and it made sense. Even though I do agree that he didn't go way out there with his materials. I loved the fur collar coat and probably would have rewarded it over the dress. I like the architect from what I've seen of her.

I felt bad for 'Devo Hat' guy - he seems like he's really passionate, which makes me feel bad not caring for what he came up with!

I liked Barbie Guy too. His dress was cute. I hated Tatoo Neck Guy. He can go next and take his attitude with him! ;-)

19. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    That's pretty much how things are for me (which is why I rarely post, although I've followed loyaly since I registered). Although, the nerd in me has gotten myself summer classes so I don't have time now to sew or earn money either lol.

I have to say that I did really like the coffee filter dress, the idea was cute I just think it could use some refining. Perhaps use more pieces on the skirt to make it almost ruffley... and/or bunch them up on the straps for a fluttery look and get some color in the garment somewheres. I really didn't expect that bedsheet dress to win at all, I thought for sure that the coat with the fur was going to win.

20. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    It kind of interesting to see which designs are most popular when it comes to actually buying them:
    http://projectrunway.auction.seenon.com/viewcat.php?category=34

Right now Bradley's wacky cape and puff duvet dress is in last place and Robert's wonderful white dress with red sash and silver trim/straps is in first place. (still think Robert's dress should have won the Runway Judging).

I'm surprised that Laura's coat doesn't have a higher bid, but there is still 2 days to go on the auction.

21. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    *pops in*

Mmmm project runway.... mmm... im an addict.

I love the dresses... I wish i was a size 0-2... lol. Models need to be like.. size 6-7's. Then i'd be happy.

*Runs out*

22. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Size all depends on the cut of the clothing from each company.

I can wear anywhere from a size zero to a size 6. Generally I wear one size up from what ever that company offers (as their smallest size). And lately I find in pants I often have to go two sizes up. Curse those low waist pants, they must only use hipless twelve year olds as their fit models. I just can't find pants that fit my 10" differential (between waist and hips), if it fits in the butt, then it's gapping like mad at the back waist.

OK rant over about the lack of standardized sizes in women's clothing and those annoying low waist pants.

23. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    FYI, Tim Gunn's Podcast for Episode 1 of Project Runway 3 is up, and I really enjoyed it! You can find it on the PR website or through itunes. I had subscribed to the podcast for last season, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Season 3 podcast was automatically downloaded for me and I didn't have to resubscribe for this season.

I do highly recommend last seasons - and I'm looking foward to the new ones! :)

Also, for you folks without cable, they appear to be airing the episodes Monday nights on NBC at 8pm. I watched the tail end of last week's episode last night. So if you don't have Bravo, you can still catch it!

24. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    http://projectrunway.auction.seenon.com/viewcat.php?category=34

For people that are still trying to put names/designers to their garments.

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, I think I've seen enough to decide that I really like Robert's dress with the red bows in the back and Kayne's dress (although I'm not crazy about the color combo he used).
    I like Laura's fur trimmed coat and I am strangely drawn to her. The one thing I fear for her is the judges deciding down the line that she can only design for herself. Hopefully that won't happen, but the judging can be a little weird sometimes, imo.

I loved Katherine's sketches that were shown in the 'Road to the Runway' special so I have high hopes for her. Her first runway look was just 'meh' to me though.

And even though this will probably get rotten tomatoes thrown at me...I sorta like Malan! Blarahrharharharharahar! He's utterly smarmy and totally a displaced Bond villian, but that's what makes me like to watch him! [face_mischief]
    I also sorta liked his runway look. Muwahahaha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.