main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Make it work!" - Project Runway 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    While reading this article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1228212_33210570_0_,00.html

I was kind of disappointed in Alison. She really blames alot on her models -- including not winning the dog challenge.
    I really like Alison, so I was bummed to see her scapegoating.
    Don't get me wrong, I DO think the producers bumped her and kept Vincent so we can see him lose his mind on tv, but it seems really ungracious to me to blame the person wearing the clothes.

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh. You know, Alison is a doll but she KNEW going into that challenge the size and shape of her model. If she didn't 'make it work' for that body type then it's not the model's fault.

I still don't know why the judges thought it looked so hideous anyway.

3. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I thought this was really a great challenge. It was so creative and the extra time constraint was tough.

I was really surprised that Michael won. Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite this season, but "tattoo neck guy" really had the better design, it was so creative, and it moved like fabric. This challenge was almost made for him.

How was "rosette girl's" dress not mentioned for being horrible? That was a weird combo of her skanky art camp outfit and the guy's Cher dress that got him booted from the show. I was surprised that Allison was auf'ed when her dress was so much better than Vincent or Angela's terrible creations.

Oh, and I absolutely adore Tim Gunn's podcasts. I spent way too much time one night listening to them all (season 2 & 3). He's so funny, and he HATES Vincent. [face_laugh]

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Look at what Austin did! :D

His first line of wedding gowns for Kenneth Pool/Amsale:

http://weddings.about.com/od/weddingdressdesigners/ig/Austin-Scarlett-Wedding-Dress/index.htm

5. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Hiya folks,

I'm going to get into trouble with my first post to this thread, :D by saying I don't think Angela is that bad. I think she's getting editted into the 'annoying b**ch" category. Kinda like Wendy Pepper from season one. I agree, the 'french art teacher' dress was ugly as sin, but I don't think her designs are that terrible. The Audry Hepburn dress was very nice and I thought it a good update on that classic look, including the trim on the hem.

Who I really find annoying is Laura. The clothes she makes are gorgeous, but I keep wanting her to put on a top that covers herself up a little more. She just doesn't have the body to wear the plunging necklines that she does. Reminds me of Eysma from The Emperor's New Groove. [face_laugh] There's just something about her that rubs me the wrong way.

Jeffery, although an arrogant jerk, really should have won the Waste challenge. It was an awesome dress.

I agree with the idea that they should do a full figure design. Its much more challenging to make clothes that look good on those of us who eat on a regular basis ;) The average American woman is what? A size 14? A size 16?

I wonder how long it will be before Vincent completely looses it and has a nervous break down. Didn't he say in the first episode that he had once been in the fashion industry, but quit becaue of the intense pressure?

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Welcome greencat! :)
    Don't worry, I've actually felt an inkling of nice towards Angela for a few seconds here and there. But don't tell anyone! :p

Laura does love to wear the plunging neckline, doesn't she? I find it hilarious that her 'casual' outfit seems to always be the horse riding get up, replete with riding boots. Blarharhahar! I totally dig her. [face_laugh]

Has anyone here seen Angela's clothes for sale at Macy's? I have not because there aren't any Macy's currently near me but a friend of mine did see them in her local store and said they looked cheaply made and that the color of the gray fabric seemed different. huh.

7. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    The grey is slighly different then the sample. The outfit actually looked OK on the mannequin, but I didn't have enought time to try it on, so can say how it fit/looks on. The construction looked on par with other items in the INC line.

8. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    Angela definitely is getting better,... but I still can't say I really like her designs all that much. That black dress in particular did come out pretty well... how bad do you have to be to screw up "the little black dress", really. I'm soo excited to see what's coming this week, the ads are looking like Angela and Jefferey bump heads this time. She may be wacky but I don't see it as a reason to be mean to her like it's seeming.
    And on that link/article...
    That really makes me see Allison differently, it almost seems like a different person from who we've gotten to see on the show. It definitely changes my opinion of her that's for sure. I honestly didn't like what she came up with at all, but given the history she shouldn't have gone. Having such a bad attitude about the whole thing isn't going to do her any good.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Spoilers below if you haven't seen tonight's show yet....
    Say what?
    That was quite the travesty seeing Jeffrey paired up with Angela's mom. I think Jeffrey was a bit unable to get past the fact that he was working with the woman who bore his nemesis on the show. As much as I really really like Jeffrey, I thought the end result of his look was pretty terrible tonight. I was prepared to see the judges auf him and was soooo relieved when they did not.

Project Runway was not especially kind to Robert. I can't say I'll miss him too much but I feel like he never lived up to his potential on the show. Remember how adorable his very first dress turned out with the red bows on the back? I wish we had seen more of that caliber of design from him.

But...say what? Vincent as the winner this week? :oops: Maybe I'm super biased against him but I disliked his dress. I mean, I really disliked it. And so he sticks around....blech.

And will Angela ever be dismissed from this show? Ever?

Michael and Uli were the best two, I thought. One of them should have won this challenge. I'm thinking the two of them will be in the final three. I can't imagine Uli ever sending anything down the runway bad enough to be eliminated and Michael rules, so I bet those two go to the end. :)

10. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Spoilers

I was really annoyed by the way Jeffrey acted. Yes, Angela is an idiot and makes ugly things, but he was being a total jerk to her mom. When Jeffrey's mom calmed down Angela's mom and then went to talk to Jeffrey, I was expecting her to say something like "go apologize". It's kind of funny to see these adults turn into children as soon as their moms are around.

I would love to see Uli and Michael in the final three.

I thought Uli should have won this week, with Michael as a close second. Vincent's dress wasn't as horrid this time: it seemed to fit Uli's mom and she liked it. Uli's ability to put prints on a larger lady and make it look good was great. She is undervalued as a designer, similar to the way that Michael was before he finally won a design challenge.

Angela ... can't they just eliminate two people and get her off the show already? Robert's designs may be boring, but they aren't painfully ugly. That fringe dress was stupid; wny wasn't she in the final two??

Was anyone else amused by everyone's reaction to the designers having to design for women who aren't skinny little sticks?

I'm waiting for Tim's podcast to hear his reactions to the show. Why can't they just make this show two hours and bring on more Tim? I'd also enjoy seeing all the designers and what they are working on, rather than just a couple.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Jeffrey was definitely throwing around attitude towards Darlene but she didn't seem to be exactly cooperative with him either (at least the way it was edited). They were a match made in Hades.

I know a lot of people don't like Jeffrey because of his abrasive personality but I personally think he is one of the more creative designers I've ever seen on this program. I really would love to see a final collection from him because I know it would be intersting and different.

Yes! It was disheartening, I have to say, to see the thinnest women chosen first by the designers. But not surprising.

And that's another thing about lame Vincent's win - his model was thin! He wasn't faced with the same design challenge as Uli, Robert, Kayne or Jeffery.

Tim's blog is up and his comments about Vincent cracked me up:

Tim Gunn wrote - "Vincent wins (note absence of exclamation point). Let?s begin with his model, Heidi (Uli?s mom). She could be a model; Heidi?s tall, gorgeous, and has a great figure. So Vincent was not even remotely challenged by the prospect of working with a new size, shape, or set of proportions. Therefore, his only challenge was design ? and what was that? From my point of view, he made a simple sheath and adorned it with an oversized pilgrim-collar, and a collar that merely stood out on the front of the dress and didn?t even exist on the back. Huh? I didn?t get it and it certainly wasn?t my taste. But it suited the judges? taste and that?s what matters. Congratulations Vincent, whatever you are."

[face_laugh]

12. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Wow - as a plus sized woman, I was really interested to see what these designers could come up with and to tell the truth, none of them WOWed me.

Spoilers

I was however, amazed to see Vincent actually make something decent! But I was also amazed that Angela wasn't BLASTED for making Laura's mom look like a FRUMP!

Okay...Jeffrey I was sooo disappointed in him. Not only his attitude but his dress looked like a layered BAG! UGH The poor woman, no wonder she was crying! No wonder his own mother was crying!

I was also sorely disappointed in Robert. From his very first proclaimation of "I don't know how to design for these proportions" to the horrible, plain horseblanket he sent Vincent's sister down the runway in...so yawn and disappointing. If that's all he had to give, then yes, it was time for him to go home.

Okay..is this the first mention of Laura being pregnant? Wow...what a rabbit she is! LOL 6 kids and she wants to be a designer. sheesh more power to her. But maybe that explains her faux pas of giving a short-waisted model and even shorter waisted look.

Uli's was interesting and Kayne's mom looked pretty good in it. (And it looked like she felt good in it too..she was really working it ;)

Oh and Kayne...did anyone else notice that this is the second time he did something "subparr" and got away with it totally? LOL He'd better pull something nice out next time or I'm afraid his luck is going to run out.

I personally think Uli and Michael are going to make it to the final three. These challenges are getting more and more difficult....and more and more addicting. Perhaps that's why I wake up at midnight and watch it! LOL

13. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    From his very first proclaimation of "I don't know how to design for these proportions" to the horrible, plain horseblanket he sent Vincent's sister down the runway in...so yawn and disappointing. If that's all he had to give, then yes, it was time for him to go home.

If you listen to Tim's podcast you'll hear that Robert didn't have much of a choice. Vincen't sister was very opinionated as to what she would and would not wear and Robert was afraid that if he didn't listen to her she wouldn't wear it at all.

14. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    SPOILERS

I totally misjudged the judges this week.

I had picked Uli or Michael to win and Jeffery or Angela to be Auf'ed. Vincent's dress collar was too over scaled and the belt waist area was not very flattering. That said it was the best garment he has done the whole show, but still not better than Uli's or Michael's.

Robert's dress was boring (he would have been better off using the zebra print he joked about). But Robert's dress look better than the ill fitting fringe mess that Angela made or the Comme des Garçon goes to the Amish Country (funniest thing Michael Kors has said yet) disaster that Jeffery made. I was thinking that Jeffery would be out (for both the dress and how badly he treated his client Angela's Mom) and hoping that Angela would finally go, but no they kept her, augh!

Edit: I just read Tim's Take http://www.bravotv.com/blog/timstake/2006/08/everyday_woman.php?page=1
    and agree with just about all his comments and analysis:

TIM (about Vincent): Huh? I didn?t get it and it certainly wasn?t my taste. But it suited the judges? taste

TIM: Uli?s design for Judy (Kayne?s mom) should have won, in my contrarian opinion. There, I said it. I am loath to disagree with the judges, but if Michael?s design was brilliant, then Uli?s was pure genius.

TIM: Angela?s design for Lorraine (Laura?s mom) was heavy on hippy-dippy and light on sophistication.

TIM (about Jeffery):It was a monastic, floor-length atrocity. (A holy mess, pun intended!) ... It?s one thing to declare that you don?t understand plus-size women (which he did declare), but it?s another to design a mortifying sack of a hideous dress.

15. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I think Uli should have won and Jeffery should have been aufed. Robert's was boring but at least he actually listened to his client and they were on the same page as to what they were going to make.

16. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    Wow....after listening to Tim's Take...I'm even MORE mad at Jeffrey! GRRR What an insensative A$$! Maybe if his mother had taken a firmer hand with him earlier, he wouldn't have been a junkie and alcholic! She basically just dismissed it as his personality instead of his rude behaviour! UGH!

I also feel bad for Robert. We didn't see that "tension" behind the scenes with him and Vincent's sister. She didn't come across as being that difficult to deal with but apparently she was. hmm.

17. Jedi_Jaina09

Jedi_Jaina09 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Bottom line, Uli was robbed, Jeffery is a major insensitive jerk! What sort of confused me was how so few of the "models" were smiling. Of all people to look happy, Angela's mom seemed the happiest! Oh well, next week looks fun.

18. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Boy, I kind of saw it was going to come down to Robert and Jeffrey (Jeffrey because the show focussed so much on the trouble he was having). I kind of think the stress got to Robert and he psyched himself out. His first design challenge was far from boring! I almost feel like ever since he was told he was boring, he became that even more so rather than pulling out of it. His client did seem unhappy :( I'd imagine a lot of the plus sized women may have been really intimidated and scared by this. Kayne had a great approach though, talking his client up and building her confidence! But now poor Kayne's BFF is auffed :(

I was shocked Uli didn't win. Not only did she overcome the 'plus' size issue, but her fabric choice and the way the garment flowed was lovely! It's almost like the judges were just so floored that Vincent actually made something somewhat wearable that they ended up being wowed by it?

I suspect Laura is too used to designing for herself, so her design did not flatter her somewhat short waisted client. (Laura is very long waisted. And models tend to be also).

- kay dee

19. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I totally agree that Uli was robbed!
    She made a garment that was elegant and fun which her client/model loved, which flattered a full figure, and yet was still unmistakeably Uli. I loved loved loved this outfit, and Kayne's mom was cute as pie in it.

Vincent's dress looked like a ton of dull crap one can buy off the rack at any time. Not very inventive, not much of a challenge. It irks me to no end seeing them egg him on and praise him when he is clearly NOT a good designer, IMO. Grar.

I know Jeffrey was being a total jerk, but if I put myself in a similar position, having to work with the mom of someone I just could not stand, I'm not sure I'd behave any better (and possibly far worse). It's a peurile part of my personality I'm not exactly proud of, but I have a woefully low tolerance to someone once they annoy me, so I kind of identify with his awful behavior...
    Like Dawn, I think Jeffrey has vision and talent, but we haven't really seen it too much on the show. I think without the constraints of the challenges he would turn out a really interesting line (and looking at his online catalogue, that's definitely the case).
    Of course, I have to concur that the outfit he made for Angela's mom was horrifying to behold. Yikes!

I was bummed to see Robert go because I think he is a hoot and I KNOW he has design talent. His Barbie designs have been among my very favorites of the last ten years, so it really makes me sad to see him missing the mark so often on the show. I still believe in you, Robert!

I think Angela should have been out; that monstrosity she made for Laura's mother was worse than the worst high school musical costume one could ever see or envision. It was bad, bad, bad.

20. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Is it a surprise to anyone that Vincent's sister was difficult? Vincent himself seems nearly impossible to work with!

I was horrified with how Jeffrey treated Angela's mother. I don't care if you hate Angela or not - speaking that way to someone's mother is just plain rude. It seems like no one is respectful to their elders anymore. Elders, not elderly. Kids are rude to adults routinely and half the time parents don't correct it. And adult kids should be polite to their peer's parents - it's just basic respect. I didn't think Angela's mother did anything to deserve the treatment she got - she was very softspoken - and said her opinion straightfowardly - and Jeffrey was way out of line.

It's like the whole internet thing - people will say things that they would never say to someone's face - and I guess in reality TV, you say things in front of the cameras to be a personality, and you don't stop to think if those words could hurt that person. I thought Jeffrey's mother should have corrected him, even if he is an adult. It looked like she just rationalized his behavior to Angela's mom, instead of apologizing for it. I would be utterly furious if anyone treated my mother that way.

But enough about that.

I thought Uli should have won, hands down. Vincent???

And since I've been away and missed the discussion about the last two episodes - I definitely don't think Allison should have been eliminated. I loved Michael's Pam Grier outfit. And how did Bradley not know who Cher was? Tim's podcast (which I'm in the middle of now) was too funny - he says something to the effect of how could Bradley not know who Cher was - I thought he was a gay male! :)

Speaking of Tim, I just read a letter to the editor in Entertainment Weekly (they had a feature on Tim a few weeks ago) and they said that they got to sit next to Tim on a flight to LA after season 2 had aired and they had told Tim what a big fan they were - and they expected a quick thanks from him and that was it - but instead, apparantly Tim talked to this person for a few hours and they were totally floored that he was so nice and friendly! Yay Tim!

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, apparently Tim is as wonderful in person as he is on the show. An acquaintance of mine, who lives in New York, met a woman who has worked with Tim at Parson's for many years. When he asked her about Tim she went on and on about what an absolute delightful human being he is and how everyone at the school loves and adores him. Yay Tim Gunn! :)

I find it consistently interesting how so many people across the internet seem to have the same opinions about who should have won and who should have been auf'ed week after week and how these usually don't match up to what really happened on the show. Is the general public that much different in terms of taste to what the judges think? Or are we not getting the whole story?

OR, is it because we see the designer's going through the challenges (and all the personal bickering and whatnot that goes on) that we end up with a different opinion than the judges who apparently aren't supposed to know anything except what they see at the runway presentation? Would their decisions change if they watched all the designers at work, play and fight?

It's also fair to state that we are really being shown what the prodcuers and editors want us to see. So...who knows. But I certainly have consistent disagreements with the judges and their decisions. *shrug*

22. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    It was very fun to watch the many of the designers deal with plus sized people. What looks good on a skinny little model isn't going to work on a 'real' woman.

Jeffery was horrible. Regardless of how he feels about Angela, her mom was his 'client'. How rude was he that she broke down into tears! It was not only unprofessional on his part, but just a terrible thing to do to a person he's just met.

Although Angela is not one of the best designers, I wonder how much better her outfit would have been if she hadn't been distracted with her very upset mother. I wonder how much time she spent comforting and calming her mother, instead of working on the dress (we only saw her talking with her mom for a few minutes). I don't think I could concentrate very well on work knowing that my mom has been so upset she was reduced to tears.

Uli was definitely robbed. Her outfit was fantastic and looked great.

23. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Add me to the "Uli was robbed" crowd. My husband and I thought Vincent's dress was awful. Uli's mom is gorgeous, and she was absolutely wasted in that dress. It was shiny and bulgy and just seriously unattractive.

I pretty much called Robert being out after I saw his outfit. He'd been dinged two weeks in a row for being "boring," and turned in what was probably his most boring design yet. And there were mitigating circumstances, I totally understand that, but still. He just wasn't going to be able to skate by for another week.

Still crossing my fingers for Jeffrey to be our villain in the final three, rather than Vincent or Angela. I hate him the least-- even after this week. So my current Final Three prediction is Uli, Michael, Jeffrey. I mean, what the hell would Vincent send down the runway? A succession of plain little sheath dresses? And every one of Angela's designs would probably have a bubble skirt and rosettes. Of course ideally I'd sweep all three of them off the show and have Kayne and Laura battle it out for the final spot.

24. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I still think the bottom line is that they have a show to produce. There is more they are taking into account than the design of the garment and who did the best and worst job. Which 'characters' do they want to keep around to keep the show interesting? Will it be more dramatic to award one top designer than another with a win? Is one of the bottom designers a bit more boring personality wise than another? Don't forget the disclaimer that is flashed at the end of every show:

"The judges considered both their scores and input from the producers and Bravo in reaching their elimination decisions."

This is one of several articles that talks about the disclaimer and what it means to the show. http://www.ethicsscoreboard.com/list/runway.html

So, no wonder people on the internet think the judges should have reached different conclusions. We are assuming it's a true fair contest, when it's not.

It's still fun to watch - even if it's to figure out who the producers will want to kick off.

- kay dee

25. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    I agree Maggie, if that were ME and I did what Jeffrey did - no matter WHAT my age...My mom would have grabbed me by the ear, pulled me into that room and screamed "APOLOGIZE!" LOL His mother is an enabler...and probably always has been - just making excuses for his bad behavoir! UGH And if anyone did that to MY mom...I'm afraid I would have to go right to them and tell them to apologize - especially if they didn't take the initiative nor were pursueded by their own mother.

And Welcome back Maggie - great pictures of Lake Como (you lucky gal!) I too laughed at Time's podcast but then I thought about it...I don't think Bradley is gay...he's WAY too disorganized and disheveled to be gay! LOL ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.