main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Make it work!" - Project Runway 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    First of all, I agree with Obi-Dawn that Angela's mother wasn't exactly cooperative either and I really don't think it is entirely Jeffery's fault.

Secondly, to all of you saying that it's awful that Jeffery didn't apologize, there are times when apologizing right away isn't always something that is a good idea. Jeffery seems to have a short temper, like myself incidently, and thus he probably needed some time to cool down and did that by working on his garmet. I really think that had Jeffery apologized right away Angela's mom probably would have said something that would have (unitentionally) rubbed Jeffery the wrong way and he would have ended up snapping at her again(most people aren't rational when they're upset, Jeffery was hurting too since he felt like Angela's mom had gone behind his back to complain to Tim about the colors and such). I don't think the conflict was entirely, mostly but not entirely, Jeffery's fault and I think they both needed some time to calm down. It's also possible that Jeffery did apologize after the show was over. You never know, he might not have but he also might have thought about it rationally later and realized that he had overreacted and snapped at her.

Edit: I'm not excusing his behavior nor saying that he shouldn't apologize. I just don't think, considering his mental state, that apologizing right then would have been a good idea.

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Have you guys noticed Dolce and Gabbana's latest ads? Looks like something Austin Scarlett would do.

[image=http://eng.dolcegabbana.it/images/main/06_02_b.gif]

Oh, I do acknowledge that they are trying to produce an interesting television show. I know that Tim Gunn has said repeatedly that they don't keep personality over talent, but some of the judgements are beyond logical so maybe he's just trying to sustain the show's integrity? I just have a hard time not believing Tim. ;)

I'll have to pop in my season one dvd because I think it also had that same disclaimer.

I really felt like season one had more integrity in terms of who got kicked off when with the exception of Austin and Wendy. But since Wendy won the last challenge she was guaranteed in the final three. (Thanks Nancy O'Dell! [face_frustrated] )

Cailina, I agree with you that tempers were probably too hot to work out an apology during the challenge. Jeffrey is a very strong personality and there's no way Darlene would EVER hire Jeffrey to design her a dress in the real world. They were doomed out the outset.

3. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I was soooo excited that they brought out women with some curves! hurray for the average woman! =)
    I too must agree Uli was robbed. Patterns on full figures are usually horrid but her outfit was amazing. I'm sooo frustrated that Vincent won. It guarantees him 2 more episodes at least =(. I actually got my boyfriend to sit and watch it with me since he was up visiting and the fact that Vincent didn't turn out something insane was almost a disappointment. When the show started I told my boyfriend to watch how crazy this guy is and then he went rather plain this episode. Oh well.
    I have to say Jeffrey was rough with Angela's mother, I think had someone else ended up with her she may not have had such a bad experience. I also don't think he's 100% to blame for the conflict, he's got a rough personality and she seemed rather thin-skinned and unwilling to be adventurous. I think perhaps she may also have been a little upset from the start as she was the last one to get picked - that's kind of rough but someone has to be last. I wonder who Jeffrey would have chosen if he had more of a choice. Angela's mom probably would have had a better time if she at least tried to trust his judgement a little to try some new and different she may not have realized as being flattering on her. Jeffrey's problem, so it seems to me anyways, is that he's honest and isn't delicate about it at all. I can understand not knowing how to put things so other people understand me without thinking badly of me. I can't help it that's how I learned to to talk and to me it doesn't sound as negative or mean as other people think I'm being.
    What happened with Kayne and Laura this time around?? I'm disappointed in Kayne but I think he worked with his model very well from what they showed of them. Laura did better than Kayne but the outfit was still awkward in my opinion. I'm not particularly drawn to Laura's designs normally anyways, I don't really know why but they just don't interest me. I'd really love to see Kayne make it to the final three though... with Michael and Uli. That'd just be amazing =). Although Jeffrey could probably make a pretty awesome collection too, but after this episode I'm not sure how awesome it would actually be.
    I'm wondering now how they're going to choose models for the next challenge. It seems a bit unfair for Robert's model to be out without even being able to go down the runway for the challenge.

4. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Project Runway is on the cover of this week's Entertainment Weekly! I haven't finished reading the article, but they do mention the judging process and give the same line that Tim does: they don't keep contestents on the show because they are "good TV". Seeing how they have kept a couple of real dogs on this season, I'm having a hard time believing that.

It was pretty cool to have my husband bring in the magazine and hold it up showing Heidi and Tim. :D

5. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Actually, I remember Heidi saying there was no imunity for this challenge. Maybe we'll see him go in the next episode [face_praying]. I also agree that Uli was robbed, her print was wonderfully chosen and it really had a nice slimming effect on her model.

My picks for top 3...
    Uli, Michael, and Kayne

I'm not to sure Kayne will be able to make it though, his last two designs were a little iffy. They might keep Jeffrey because he's good television, Angela will go because she'll make another garment that's way too out there for the judges tastes. That fringe thing... what was that?! I saw that and saw a funeral dress that looked like it had been through a shredder - uck. Vincent and Angela need to go, their designs are unpredictable and not really that interesting (I wouldn't wear her INC design). Sometimes something looks ok, other times it's over the top and just plain ugly (floor garbage dress from Vincent).
    Allison should have been kept, granted it didn't fit the model that well, but it was a great design. Vincent made a tube and slapped crap on it.

I think the next challenge is for a filght attendant... or would that be too much like the post-office challange?

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I watched this latest episode again and I forgot about how Darlene told Jeffrey how to take her bust measurement. Um...I *think* he knows how to take measurements. See, I'm not defending him completely but if it were me on that show and my 'client' tried to tell me how to take measurements I would have been annoyed too. Ugh. It was horrible for the both of them.

I haven't seen Entertainment Weekly. I'll have to look for it. :)

Oh, and as a tidbit about my fave Jay McCarroll, he has joined forces with the Humane Society. They are going to be his debut fashion show's sole sponsor at fashion week in September! I [face_love] him.

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yippeeee! I loved the results this week! :D

8. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    one word...

YES!!!!!!!!!
    f'n YES!
    =)

I really said that too hehe

9. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    I clapped at the end of this show! Off to the Tim Podcast .... :D

10. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    For the first time....I agree with the judges!!!
    SPOILER...
    DING DONG ANGELA'S GONE!!! WOOHOOO! Her and her hippy-a$$ grandma clothes are GONE! It was kinda mean to fly her all the way over to Paris only to tell her she was out...but I wouldn't want it to happen to any other person!! LOL

I gotta admit...Vincent looked like he was dressed in pajamas. I have a feeling he's gonna be next to go.

Wonder how long they're going to be over there. Didn't Tim say they were going to use their models for the NEXT challenge? Well, things are DEFINATELY heating up!

11. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    *Does a little happy dance*

YES! The judging got back on track this week and I was not the least bit concerned that the auf-ed designer had to go all the way there just to be sent home.

But I do worry for the models. Two challenges w/o anything for them to add to their portfolios.

12. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I was eleven kinds of elated by this week's results.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
    I really dug the winning outfit -- LOVED the hook and eye tape in lieu of a zipper on the pants. Sassy!

And dear lord and butter, what the hell was Angela thinking with those fleurchon flowers on her rear? And what was with the faux reinforcement stitching in the seat of those pants? Her thought process remains a mystery to me, and I'm glad for that.

Count me as another person who said while watching, "Vincent made jammies!"

13. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Spoiler.....

I was hopping like mad, that Angela's nutty outfit would wrinkle like crazy so she would be Auf-ed. And of course it did. And how different was Vincent's no wrinlkle jammies then the boring black tee and blazer that Michael Koors wears ALL the time?

14. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Even I can't defend Angela. That outfit was just ugly. Was she really going for 'hillbilly jetsetter??' Gack.

Jeffery is a horrible person, but he can design. Although it would have been awesome to see Micheal win three, Jeffery's rock and roll outfit was incredible.

Vincent . . . boring. Unoriginal. And I thought 'ninja pajamas' when I saw his outfit. When will he go?? He's the one I want to see auf'd.

I liked Kayne's outfit. Yes, it was flamboyant, but so is Kayne. The man owns a belt buckle with his name in rhinestones. I don't think he'll make it to the final three, though. Too much of his stuff the judges find tacky.

I'd love to see Uli win that 'fan's choice' contest. She seems to be a very ignored designer, just quietly making these fantastic outifts and no one notices. She really should have won the Mom challenge.

Interesting idea to see if their outfits could hold up to traveling such a long way.

15. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Kayne's outfit looked just as pressed when he arrived as when he left. And it was so Kayne. It's what any white trash jetsetter would wear (Kayne did described himself as WT).

It might not have been the judges taste, but it was Kayne's taste (and they were after all designing for themselves)and really well excuted.

Jeffery's outfit was also so him, and looked great and was a clear conterder for the win along with Michael's.

I think that having the judging more scorebased (and less catty chit chat based) improved the quality of the judging results.

16. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    It was kind of hard to see Vincent in his black pajamas compared with everyone else there. I did find it funny that he was working in his underwear though lol. I didn't think that his plain black outfit was better than Kayne's "tacky" outfit, he at least tried to add some flair and color and personality. If that outfit is an expression of Vincent's personality then that's almost sad how dull it is.
    What happened with Kayne, he started out pretty good and has just gone downhill. =( I didn't think his outfit was that bad, it traveled extremely well and was totally him. His outfit just didn't follow the idea of being fashion forward they constantly talk about. I honestly didn't think his "costume" for the recyclables challenge came out that badly either, it just wasn't something you'd see a regular person wearing. The worst thing he's made was definitely for the mom challenge, but other than that it seems to be a matter of the judges taste that's against him.
    I really liked Laura's dress, except I think she could have chosen a better color for her skin tone and hair color. There was something about it that looked a bit awkward to me but I'm not certain what I would have done differently with it. The way it was wrapped looked a little weird. I'm a little surprised she hasn't won a challenge yet.
    Uli's fabric at the start kind of had me scared for her. The dress came out wonderfully, but I'd like to see if she could do something that isn't print-tastical. Maybe that's why she hasn't won another challenge because she doesn't explore other ways of working as a designer (she still owns the mom challenge IMO though).
    I'm sooo happy for Jeffrey's win!! He completely earned it and then some. I liked where he was going from just seeing his fabrics. He's been overdue for a win. I can't wait to see more from him. However, from the sneak peek at the next episode it looks like he just started picking fights with someone else now that Angela is gone.

This all has me so excited hehe.
    I also kind of get to make my own recyclable costume for a class. I have to make something out of found materials for a festival of light we have on campus, not sure how I'm going to get it to light up though..., so far I'm making a skirt out of aquafina bottles though, I'll try and share pics when it's done =).

17. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY. And also, yay.

Ding-dong, Angela's gone, FINALLY. And Jeffrey totally deserved to win! His outfit was amazing. Michael's was great too, of course, but he's already won two, and this was definitely Jeffrey's day to shine.

I don't believe Vincent's actually a "fashion designer" like it always says under his name. Everything he makes is plain and completely shapeless. How is he still on this show again? Oh, right, he crazy.

18. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I am so happy Angela is gone! she drives me crazy! I liked Kanyes outfit, and LOVED Uli's! I thought it was beautiful and travled well, and she is so adorable, as is Kayne. I like Michaels too, it looked really nice, Vincent's was boring, looked a bit frumpy, but looked comfortable, i suppose....Jeffery, while he also annoys me, I really did like his outfit, it was amazingly well done for their time and money, I am glad he won...

19. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    as with last week...

F'N YES!

=)
    ... need I say more...? hehe..

20. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Happy! :)

Uli's dress reminded me of Padme's Sleepless Knights nightgown a little.

21. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    I agree. I was so happy with their decision about who to auf. I liked Uli's better than Jeffery's though, although Jeffery's was interesting and different.

22. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    I loved Jeffrey's dress, it rocked.
    I loved Kayne's dress as well, even if it was "tacky".

Uli's dress was lovely, but to me it looked similar to the dress she made for the Miss Universe challenge.

23. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    I don't really see what everyone hated about Kayne's dress. I actually liked it, although I would have preferred it in silver but I just like silver better than gold. I really didn't think it was that tacky.

24. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Actually I like Kayne's dress too - and I haven't really liked much else he's done.

Uli's was gorgeous and I would have picked it to win. I got Jeffery's dress, but I didn't personally like it.

25. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I, once again, LOVED Uli's dress!!! I love Uli! and I was also so happy to see Vincent auf'd, he is annyoingly cocky...

I also like Kanye's dress, didn't really see what was too bad about it, I thought it worked!
    HATE Laura's it was just...didn't like it
    Loved Michal's after they tucked the little thingys in...
    I didn't mind Jeffery's I liked the yellow plaid, but i didn't think it deserved to win...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.