main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Make it work!" - Project Runway 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Jaina09

Jedi_Jaina09 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Is it sad/mean that everyone in my dorm cheered when Vincent was auf'd? I'm sorry, but that looked like a dress from Chloe?s final runway collection, but worse. And shoulder pads? This whole 80's being back in style thing is a just bizarre. I absolutely adored Kayne's dress (as did all my roommates). As much as I dislike Jeffery's personality, I really liked his fabric (not so much the dress' structure), but think it looked a lot better in the website photos then it did on TV.

2. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    We also thought Kayne's dress was lovely. Prettier on the French model than the USA one, but still. What's with the mean-mean judges?

I'm happy for Jeffrey, thought it was a toss-up between him and Uli. Don't think Laura's long for the competition. I stand by my original prediction from a few eps ago of Michael, Uli, and Jeffrey for final three, with hopes of Kayne in final four so we get a decoy collection from him, assuming they're still doing that. Think of the sparklies!!!

...oh, and BYE BYE VINCENT! WOOO!

3. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    I dunno..my taste has always been for "sparklies" -- I actually liked Kayne's dress a LOT...though the front of the skirt annoyed me at first...when I saw the back I was like...wow...that really floats down the runway nicely! And the French model did fit it better. And the sideways corset lacing was interesting.

I didn't like Jeffrey's at ALL! It looked like he'd taken a bunch of Madras shorts and sewn them all together! It was puffy in the oddest places and had all these tacky streamers hanging down the back! WHAT WERE THE JUDGES THINKING?!

Uli should have one this one. I didn't like it when I first saw it...I thought...typical Uli but when they did a close up on it, it was really cute with a LOT of really nice details...the beaded cups, the braided trim - it was really darling.

Laura's didn't hold up well in travel but it looked like typical Laura...but it also reminded me of a little old lady type dress. It HAS been done before...and hand gathering ruffles is NOT couture enough! As a matter of fact I didn't think ANY of them deserved the name COUTURE...They all used the sewing machines for as much as they could and then added the trims by hand - except for Vincent who used GLUE!

I think Michael got a sympathy award for the egging incident. His dress was definately not up to snuff, but it did look better when the cups were tucked in at the top.

Vincent...what can I say about Vincent? He's been hovering in the Auf'd territory for a while now...but this was ....uh. He has this '60s style about him. I usually love '60s styles, but the way Vincent does it, he kills it instead of playing it up. Frankly his dress looked like a big brocaded tree! And they must have glued his model's breasts into it so they wouldn't pop out! Well, at least the judges chose well by sending him packing -- oh and did you HEAR what he was saying to Catherine on the barge? Blatently kissing her butt and fawning all over her - I along with the designers were rather sickened by it! Well, he cashed in his 401K and quit his job. Where do you think he is now? A funny farm somewhere?

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I was shocked that they auf'ed Vincent! I'm not used to the judges doing the 'right thing'. Blarharharharharhar! [face_laugh] His dress was terrible and if he said that if 'got me off' one more time I was going to projectile vomit at my tv. Seeing him use all that glue made me think of the jumpsuit Santino glued onto Kara.
    So I suppose his model, Jia, had her unfortunate accident while traveling to the next taping after this one? For those who didn't know she was riding her bike to a taping of the show and was hit by a bus. She was in the hospital for a while but is fine now. The timing of her accident made it apparent that Vincent (had he stayed paired with her) was going to be in the show near the end.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED everything about what Jeffrey made. His fabric choices, his construction, the cut and design. To me it was the only one worthy of winning last night. But to call anything couture in the time they had to make it was pretty crazy.
    Jeffrey is an exciting designer and I hope hope hope he makes final three.

Dude, Laura is off her game. I think the pregnancy hormones are kicking in, especially in the previews for next week. I remember all the spontaneous crying and blathering on that I did when I was preggers too. tee-hee....

Uli's dress was lovely, but it was just an Uli dress made in more expensive fabrics. That may not be fair of me to say but it's how I felt. Her range seems sorta limited but her clothes are gorgeous and very wearable. I think she would be sucessful if she were to sell a line of her designs. :)

Oh, and Kayne. Yeah, I liked his dress too! I thought it was super pretty and should have been in the top three (along with Uli and Jeffrey). The judges are weird...I don't know. They think he has no taste but they keep him, so...huh? Anyway, I'm relieved he's still there. The corset lacing on the side like that was done by Wendy Pepper in season one on the weddig dress challenge. I liked it then and I like it now. Pretty!

5. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    I can't BELIEVE I'm watching this show. Other than an occasional interest in Jedi robes, "fellowship" cloaks and such, fashion and I are barely acquaintences, much less friends.

That said, the best part of last night was their telling Jeffrey he didn't have immunity. (OK, that and thequite revealing oufits some of the models were wearing.) I want him off the show and out of my memory. While I was saddened that he won the "Jet Set" contest, I do have to admit his was the coolest looking outfit there.

6. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    Obi-Dawn,

I haven't the time to re-find it, but in looking around on the web Bravo actually made a brief statement concerning Jia, and it mentioned that she was on her way to the taping of episode with the final four. Maybe I'll find it when I have free time later, but I'm fairly certain that's what it said.

7. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Vincent:
    "I know how to do Couture"
    "Sure plenty of time to hand sew the hem"
    "No time, I'm using glue"

I agree with the Paris Judge
    Vincent = NO, NO, NO, NO

I'm so glad Vincent is gone, but wish he had gone sooner, so that we could see more work from a more talented designer. Not only were Vincent's designs wacky and bad 80's retro, they were poorly constructed.

Uli was my pick for the win, it was the cleanest, best constructed gown. Jeffery's was not my taste, but I got what he was doing. But the construction was a bit off, and wow that front slit was in danger of leaving nothing to the imagination.

My vote for the final three:
    Uli, Michael, Jeffery

8. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I also liked Kayne's dress. Maybe it's because I love shiney stuff? I just thought it was stunning when the model walked down the runway in it. I liked Uli's as well. The color and the braiding just won me over instantly. While I thought that Jeffrey's was different and interesting, it wasn't my taste. Laura needs to go. Her stuff is the same week after week. Poor Michael, what what he thinking wiht those strange bumps and bad construction? He's capable of so many things, if he's not used to hand sewing, then I don't understand why he tried something he hasn't done. Vincent's was ugly, ugly, ugly. The model, once again, had to take tiny steps because he didn't put a slit in the hideous sofa, I mean skirt. The only bad part is we will have to see him again on the reunion show.

9. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I'm a total magpie and love shiny sparklies, so I thought Kayne's dress was beautemous (I also LOVED his jet set outfit). Clearly, I have tacky taste. I'm pretty sure Nina Garcia and I wouldn't agree on much of anything.

I was thrilled to pieces for Jeffrey's second win -- I think having immunity allowed him to create more freely and take more chances, and it paid off. I liked his dress, but moreover, it really was the only one that had that edge of being couture -- meaning that it is truly original, not something you would find on a rack in any store.

I thought Uli's dress was pretty, but not especially zazzy or original.

Laura's Punchinella affair was... hmmmm.
    I kind of liked it, but I liked it, too, when I saw it years ago in fashion mags. Also, it didn't really look as good on her American model as her French model. I think it worked better on a pale skintone; those bright red lips stood out more, and made the whole thing more dramatic. Camilla is gorgeous, but this dress was not a good match for her skintone or style.

Michael... well. Everyone's allowed a screw up now and again.

Did everyone hear me screeching with glee when Vincent was booted?
    My husband and I cheered so loud, we scared our cats. Bwahahahahaha.

10. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    Tim's podcast this week it very good. It's nice that he gives us more insight into the show.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I heard you guys. :p

Yeah, I agree that Laura's dress did look better on her French model. It was too bad that she wasn't able to revive the collar a bit more in N.Y.

Welcome to the PR chatfest Smiling-Otter! You know, I think this show is captivating for anyone who is creative. I LOVE seeing the designers work through their challenges. :)
    Also, it would have been completely unfair for the winner of this challenge to receive immunity. With only five left that would have guaranteed that person to be in the final four, thus having a runway show at fashion week. I actually thought it was pretty unfair that Jeffrey ahd immunity this week with such a hard challenge. He could have slapped together anything, couture inspired or not, and still have gotten through. I was pleased to see him try his best in spite of his immunity.

Cool. I missed that statement and only recall reading about it on BPR. I wonder how the model selections will play out now. I cannot imagine Jeffrey exchanging his model for Jia so why was she going to tape the episode that had only four designers left? Shouldn't she be booted at the beginning of next week's episode when Jeffrey gets to choose between her or his regular model? Laura did mention something about having to design for the 'Olsen twins' (I didn't take that literally) and Tim mentioned something about 'two people', so maybe the designers have to make two garments next week and need extra models? Hmmm. Wild speculation is such fun. :p

12. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Have people been reading Nick's Blog?

I just read thru some of his comments, and so far may favorites are:

At 5 a.m., the designers were awakened by the unflappable Tim Gunn knocking on the door. He looked perfectly put together while the designers were trying to wipe the crud from their eyes. I now envision Tim as the new Wonder Woman: He gets the call from the producers at 4:45 a.m. and -- whoosh! -- Tim does a twirl and in 30 seconds he is standing in front of the Atlas Apartments in a suit and tie.
    http://www.bravotv.com/blog/nickvsblog/2006/08/episode_six.php

Laura informed her shocked mother that she got the news after starting Project Runway. (Was the crew giving out free E.P.T. exams as a perk? All I got was a loofah and some extra Tresemmé gel!)
    http://www.bravotv.com/blog/nickvsblog/2006/08/episode_seven.php

Angela also didn't have a clue what a jet-setter was, since for her this means packing up her 4x4 truck with a cab full of rosettes and going from farm to farm in search of the perfect compost.
    http://www.bravotv.com/blog/nickvsblog/2006/09/episode_eight.php

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I heart Nick. :)

14. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm tending toward thinking maybe they're designing for a pair of twins?
    Each designer would have to pick another model in addition to their regular model...

not sure of which twins, maybe just sisters or two best friends... I'd say mother daughter but that might be a little redundant with the mom challenge... I can't wait hehe =)

15. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hallelujah! I smacked my hand down on the bed and exclaimed "Finally, he's GONE! This was long overdue!" Vincent should have been booted ages ago and it pained me to see others kicked off before he was. I don't care about his bad decision to cash out his 401K.

I also really liked Kayne's dress! I guess I have no taste, because it was my favorite :) I felt like he actually did try to hold back a bit this time. The skirt was so pretty, and the bodice cosntruction was cool (even if a bit anti-couture to have the boning show through).

I'm sorry, I don't know why they voted for Jeffrey as the winner. I applaud his attempt to go out of his comfort zone with bright colors and plaid, but it just looked messy to me and ill fitting. With more time maybe it could have looked cool?

I thought it was amazing how much better Michael's dress looked once the bunny ears were tucked in. Poor guy, "A" for effort on something he'd never done before. (At least he wasn't gluing his hem - ugh)

- kay dee

*edit* It also irked me to see Vincent shift the Paris judges conversation from his poorly made dress to her own clothing. (How transparent) Hello, she was there to talk about your outfit, not her own. How lame :rolleyes:

16. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    And I don't know about if it was just editing, but when the NYC judges asked Vincent what he had done by hand on the dress, he flat out didn't answer the question and just started talking about what fabric he picked or some lame thing.

17. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    Okay...now I took the Rate the Runway at lunchtime and you know what the lineup was? 1. ULI 2. KAYNE 3. JEFFREY 4. LAURA 5. MICHAEL 6. VINCENT So I don't think WE are the ones with "bad taste" I think the judges made Jeffrey the winner for "shock value" more than anything else. Yes it was "innovative" But that is ALL...No one would pay $60,000 for that piece!

18. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I couldn't believe it when Jeffery won. That dress was ugly, it looked like scraps of yellow tablecloths randomly sewn together then drapped over the model. *gack*

I think Uli got robbed, again. (First the mom challenge, now this) Her dress was beautiful, I loved the subtle colors in the braids. I got the impression that the French judge liked Uli best, also. I'm willing to bet she's going to be in the final three, along with Micheal :) and Jeffery :p (I dislike Jeffery, even if he usually creates wonderful outfits, this week's and the Mom challenge aside)

Kayne's dress was lovely, IMHO. Guess I have to go stand in the corner with all the other tacky folks.

So happy Vincent is gone. Annoying crazy person. Now if we can just say bye-bye to Laura.

19. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    http://www.bravotv.com/blog/andysblog/2006/09/andy_answers_your_runway_emails.php
    Angela got to spend the night in Paris, and was there a full 24 hours.
    I would have been all in favor of putting her wrinkled flower clad butt on the next plane out of there.

And check out the view ratings of the "Couture" gowns. Jeffery was in the bottom three, not the top three on that poll.
    http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/rate/season/3/episode/9/results

20. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I was watching the end of the last episode on the airplane on the way home sunday... after the show they were doing a blurb about the next episode and Laura was complaining about having to design for The Olsen Twins. Did anyone else catch that?

I have to watch the last episode tonight because I missed it while out in sunny CA last week :)

21. Smiling-Otter

Mar 21, 2001
    Yeah, I saw that. I wonder if she was being literal, or trying to be funny. If the former, that's something I would have kept out of the previews.

I didn't dislike Vincent - he's just crazy. Jeffrey's just downright mean but he deserved the Jet-setter victory.

22. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    oh wow,... what a mind game this episode was!

=( I'm sad Kayne is gone,... I don't think Jeffrey did better than him, his model looked really cheap and whore-ish.

I'm glad to see that Laura finally won a challenge =)

23. Smiling-Otter

Mar 21, 2001
    Well. How 'bout that.

1. Seeing Jeffrey's expression on Angela's return was worth having those two back. and now we know what Heidi meant by "rewards" for winning a challenge.

2. Jeffrey's still on, which displeases me, but at least he was taken down a notch.

3. I thought Michael's was the best, but I thought it was very cool of him to congratulate Laura on her victory.

24. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    That was evil. Just when we thought they were gone, we have to see them again.

25. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    God, I was *so* angry. I actually had to stop watching, IM a friend who was in an earlier timezone, and have her assure me that neither of them won before I'd even watch the episode. I just couldn't stand to watch any more of either of them without knowing they were going to be booted again.

Thought Michael's was the best, but Laura's was lovely too and Michael already has two wins. I was pretty well resigned to losing Kayne, because I just didn't see them letting him have his own show, even as the decoy. Plus, gotta have the villain (Jeffrey).

I'm revising my Final Three prediction to Laura, Michael, Jeffrey (replacing Uli with Laura). Laura broke out of the mold this week, but Uli's still doing the same dresses over and over again. Nice dresses, but the same dresses. Of course, maybe next week she'll surprise, but that's where I stand now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.