main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MAKE JEDI OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Swomz, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swomz

Swomz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    As the UK did a while back, I am now trying to do, get jedi on the census form as a religion. Please back me up by signing this http://www.petitiononline.com/StarWars/petition.html petition

2. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Sure, I am curious to see how many people would claim "Jedi" as their religion. I just dont think we would ever get an accurate answer. The closest we would get would be a government survey - maybe thats what you mean ? If we asked on TF.N I think we'd get a lot of Jedis, but thats not an accurate survey & I cant see our government putting Jedi on their religion survey.
    It would be cool to know though. Definitely.

3. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    I believe when they take a census every ten years, if enough people will classify themselves as a certain religion (10,000 I believe) that is not yet on the census they will add it.

4. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    I didnt know that- thanks.

5. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    So I guess I will start the petition, I need to ask OW if he will ask tfn to put it up on their site or something

6. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    oya, if you want to sign, the url is in the first post

7. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Just felt like I should add a my two cents. That is so **** hot! Do you really think that many people will put that as their religion? (Oh wait stupid question, of course). It'd be a great idea to get it out to everybody who would be involved! Anyways...

-Padme Solo

8. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    [voice=bill lumbergh]umm....yeaaaahhh...I'm gonna have to ahhh...go ahead and disagree with you on that one[/voice]

I don't wanna be a wet toilet seat, but I think having Jedi listed as a religion is about half retarded and will just get more crap put on me at work and from my family...and everyone else in the great US of A.

9. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    heh, whatever you guys want, I am doing this for people that want it, if you don't, whatever floats ur boat is fine with me

10. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    do it , i will just say that im a dark jedi if i have to . i dont think sith would work out .

11. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I got a question, how can you have a religion that doesn't have at least some form of organized worship. I don't even believe anyone would consider Jedi a religion as much as a philosophy, sort of like Confuciusism. I think on a census I'll just stay a good ol' christian thank you very much. I think having Jedi as your religion is, dare I say it, going a bit too far.

12. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    As I put my two cents in, a religon doesn't always have to be organized. A lot of times the only thing that matters is that everyone in it holds the same principles. I do, however, see your point. But wouldn't it be sorta cool anyways?

13. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Initially, I would like to have seen Jedi as a religion, but since most of the world's major conflicts have strong & relevent basis in religion, I'm not so sure now. I mean, we all know that religions pervades every aspect of human life, and war is a serious part of human endeavour. Just look at history.....the Crusades clear up to current terrorist activities are clearly, if not wholly, religion/economically-based, & have deep-seeded ties to religion as a singular entity. I'm almost of the opinion that once you label a seemingly good social faith-based theory a 'religion' you immediately condemn it to having a myriad of problems since invariably the power-mongers come to roost, and the moral basis becomes unraveled & politically motivating, as so many religions have become. The Jedi code as a mythology is sound, and can be, in human terms, very productive on many fronts...but that's just in hollywood theory. For the record, I was an alter-boy and devout Roman Catholic for over a decade until I saw the reality of most religions. Every religion says killing is wrong....and every one of those religions has a clause somewhere to say when killing is right.

14. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    That is exactly why I would answer Jedi.

and also why I probably shouldnt participate in discussions involving religion.

I try to be a good guy, not a bad guy. Thats about as clearly as I define it.

Sounds Jedi to me & thats good enough. :)

15. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    is there really anything wrong with wanting to be a Jedi? I mean it is such a cool thing...the Force...

16. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    I put one in the USA government category, too......oh, well..........

17. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    uh, sorry, u lost me there

18. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Have you noticed that a lot of the Jedi Idealogy is a mix of different real-world religions. Mix Christianity with a touch of Buddhism, Islam, and Judaism and you basically get Jedi.

19. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Yep, all the righteous parts without the power-mongerin'.....FLOL!

20. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    lol, he has a really good point, if we were all jedi we wouldnt have these religious conflicts wud we?

21. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Actually, as soon as we all termed it a religion, it'd just go to hades in a handbasket....FLOL!!!!

22. Swomz

Apr 19, 2002
    LOL
    Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.