main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Make up artist Rick Baker excited about Ep 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 30, 2012.

1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Would love for him to be included!

Panakas_Dawg and yggdrasil311 like this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes!!! Yes!!! YES!!!

In that article he said everything I've been saying about the CGI characters. I want to see more realism with CGI enhancements. Sign him up!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Ditto. The brain head guy wouldn't last long in a fight lol

4. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with him to a point. As Echo-7 said, if you can mesh the two elements together practical and digital effects can be magnificent. I disagree however with the comment about having too much space action or whatever. I love the opening scene of Revenge of the Sith just as much as the Battle of Endor.

Echo-07 and yggdrasil311 like this.
  5. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Baker raises his head every few years to have a moan.

Lucas "lost reality"???

Baker sounds like he has lost touch with reality!

It's called Star Wars. You don't want less spaceships fighting, you want more.

That's like saying there should have been less bombs to disable in The Hurt Locker or less soldiers on the beach in Saving Private Ryan!!!

There was plenty of make up and prosthetics in the Prequels, but Lucas was more interested in CGI.

Star Wars is old fashioned storytelling with old fashioned heroes and villains.

But the technical side of the films has always been about pushing the boundaries of film-making, not about getting stuck in the past.

6. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, and since ROTJ, not one filmmaker has ever matched it (have any even tried in fact) until Lucas made ROTS.

7. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Great! His work hasn't faltered a bit. Loved his work on MIB3. I also would like to see Phil Tippet back in the mix.

8. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I totally agree with him. You gotta balance it.

The most recent example, within Star Wars, would be the new cg Ewok eyes. I thought they looked good, and wouldn't mind if they are done like that in the future.

LANDO_ROCKS and Darthsuggs like this.
  9. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    He's totally right, the practical effects and real costume/makeup aliens just looked more real and there needs to be more of a balance.

He's hugely talented, I expect Lucasfilm would jump at the chance to have him aboard.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I just tingled with excitement.

11. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Dear Rick: Even the original movie had a massive space battle! Maybe he got up after the Cantina sequence? I'm also sure the best way to compete with Avatar 2 will be lots of quickly made rubber masks :p Love ya RB, but the past is over. I'm all for less digital for VII but going all the way back to Ewok costumes isn't such a hot idea.

JainaSoloYJK, FRAGWAGON and LawJedi like this.
  12. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Hire him.

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah. Yeah.

This just isn't going to be a fun thread.

14. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I agree 100%!

15. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    I think the space battle from ROTJ is 100% more realistic than that in ROTS, in which I felt like I was watching a video game!

16. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    It's supposed to be about story telling, which in the PT came a very far second to CGI overkill!

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A thousand times yes. Practical makeup is much better than CGI when it comes to alien characters.

18. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    It's called Star Wars, but it still has to retain a basis in reality. "more is better" is like saying there should be 3 or 4 people in the OT lightsaber duels, or that the opening of ANH should have thousands of spaceships instead of just two.
    2 people in a duel works in the OT because the participants were people with history, with a reason to fight. One of which were very easy to relate to, the other was clearly evil.
    More in a lightsaber fight did not work in the PT, because the participants were either unknown, bland, not needed or they had no known history with each other.
    Two ships in the opening of ANH works because it brilliantly sets the stage and lets you know who the antagonist and protagonist factions are, and their strength in numbers/equipment.
    Thousands of ships in the opening of ROTS did not work, because nobody knew what the hell was going on.
    More people in Saving Private Ryan works because... well, that's how it really was in reality. That's how they fought wars back then.

See, it's not about numbers, it's about how emotionally invested the audience gets.

CGI is great, make-up and prosthetics are great, but too much of any of them will not work unless the director is excellent.

19. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I disagree, to me; the prequel aliens are way more real. In the same way the ships have a more worn look, in the OT because of the PT; I think it’s the same with the characters.

20. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've never once heard anyone ever say that they were confused by the opening to RotS. And there's plenty of masks & puppetry in the PT.

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Bull - and unoriginal!!!

I suppose next your going to tell me you thought Tubridy was relaxed and in his element on the Toy Show last night?

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    There was a story - and Lucas told it well.

23. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Sticks fingers in ears

*LALALALALA*

24. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    A "basis in reality"???

Have you ever actually seen a Star Wars movie?

And the reason why there is "less" (as you and Baker call it) in the OT is because the technology didn't exist for there to be "more".

Baker has been whinging for years because for sone reason he seems to think he was entitled to a pay day for the Prequels.

He wasn't - he should get over it.

There was plenty of masks, prostethics and the likes but over a decade later there is still the same old waffle.

25. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Tell me where there wasn't a story?