main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Make your own cut! Splicing together the OOT and SEs

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DavidSword79, Feb 3, 2016.

1. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Imagine the freedom to be able to create your own cuts from the OOT and BRD SEs! Most fans have strong opinions on what does and does not belong in their idealized vision of each STAR WARS movie. What if you could take what you like from the Original Original Trilogy films and the Blu-Ray Disc Special Editions, and make your own Master Edit of the movies? How cool would that be?

This thread is for discussing just such a possibility. Not just listing our likes/dislikes about the various versions, but actually explaining how the shots and music and dialogue flow. That way readers can call each scene to mind and imagine how it would look, sound and feel.

(I know there are various fan edits as well, such as the Adywan Revisited series, so feel free to reference those too.)

I'll start with my vision of the Mos Eisley sequence in ANH:

EXTERIOR TATOOINE DESERT, DAY: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker look down at MOS EISLEY Space Port. This is the BRD sequence of three shots, with the various tiny ships leaving and arriving at the port. Dialogue and music unaltered.

EXTERIOR MOS EISLEY, DAY: Luke's landspeeder zips into the outskirts of the town as womp rats scurry hither and thither. This is the CGI BRD shot, but rather than starting with those two robots awkwardly combatting, the speeder simply enters the town. The camera dollies up to get that fantastic BRD shot of the port, but it cuts just before that moron Jawa falls off the ronto, because that's just dumb. Music altered according to the flow of the shots.

EXTERIOR MOS EISLEY, DAY: Luke and Obi-Wan are interrogated by the Stormies looking for droids. This sequence is a mixture of OOT and BRD shots. The background rontos are kept in -- look! huge creatures in the distance! -- but the foreground rontos are no longer blocking our view of the speeder, because that's annoying. The probe droid zipping behind the Stormie as he repeats "These are not the droids we're looking for" is removed because it's distracting as fudge. Remainder of sequence is BRD version because it looks phenomenal. Dialogue and soundtrack as in BRD version.

INTERIOR CANTINA 1: Various angles on the creatures who frequent the interstellar bar, as Luke and Kenobi enter, the droids are ejected and Ponda Baba is literally disarmed. All as in the BRD version, which looks and sounds terrific ... except the two werewolves are kept intact from the OOT because let's face it, intergalactic lycanthropes are super-awesome! (See original 6-minute sequence here: )

INTERIOR CANTINA 2: I'd mix this up a little with the deleted footage as seen on the BRDs, of Solo hanging out with a cute lady-friend, and other creatures from the first cantina shoot (which see here: ) colorized and restored. Greedo confrontation and death as in OOT, without any firing from the hapless Rodian. He just blows up in a cloud of smoke, THE END. Music altered accordingly using the extended Cantina cue from the soundtrack.

Now it's your turn! How would you cut your own version of any scene, sequence or film from the OT?

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Um, you could do this, just use some video editing software!

I've got my own self made cuts of the prequels

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  3. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    Yes, but we don't have the OOTs on BRD yet. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

4. Hanyou

Hanyou Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2005
    I won't get too specific, but here's a general idea.

Star Wars:

Keep most of the new special effects footage. Ships taking off, moving through space, etc. looked pretty good in the '97 Special Edition. I can't think of a good reason to keep Jabba or the other additions.

Empire Strikes Back:

The '97 Special Edition is almost perfect. There are two things I'd change.

One, I'd add the Emperor from the '04 DVD collection, but only if it's somehow possible to preserve most of the original dialogue.

Two, I'd remove Luke's ridiculous scream, which Lucas elected to do anyway in '04.

For me, the 1997 Special Edition is the best version of Empire as is.

Return of the Jedi:

The original is as good as it gets. The only change I'd make is to replace "Yub Nub" with the celebration from the 1997 Special Edition. I don't mind Yub Nub, but the more somber music and added footage is a better fit for the ending of the entire trilogy.

I don't have any use for the other Special Edition or any subsequent version.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  5. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    OP, just use the Harmy cuts to splice in with the BRDs.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'd just rather the films as they were originally released be made available. No more edits.

Poe loves Rey and solo77 like this.
  7. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    Right. Yes. Do that! Now... what would you do? How would your cut play out?

8. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    David Exactly the way they were in 1977, 1980 and 1983.

Worker11811 and MeBeJedi like this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd just leave it the way GL wants it.

Seagoat, Larsonator and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  10. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    In A NEW HOPE, definitely make Han shoot first and remove the CGI that blocks Obi-Wan & Luke pulling into Mos Eisley. Get rid of the CGI Jabba scene where Han steps on him, it makes the reveal of Jabba much better in Return of The Jedi.
    -There isnt too much SE changes that GL made that I dont like. Im fine with the Hayden Christensen force ghost at the end but Im also okay with the Shaw one. I'd rather have Lapti Nek in Jabba's palace than Jedi Rocks but both are catchy so the SE version doesnt bother me too much

DavidSword79 likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The original films as much as possible.
    Original lines, voices, effects etc. Wingreen as Boba Fett, Shaw as Anakin, Bring my shuttle etc.
    Though having PT and ST aliens in the back ground in some scenes and planets in the montage at the end of ROTJ is acceptable.

And might try to add some of the deleted scenes into the movie.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not cool at all. It cheapens it and removes the artistic integrity of the work itself. That applies to movies, books, paintings, or any other art form.

Lulu Mars and Seagoat like this.
  13. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    No thanks. I´ll respect the vision of the original artist

Lulu Mars, Larsonator and Seagoat like this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Vision of the original artist be damned, when I get a chance, I'm smashing the Millennium Falcon into the mountains outside Starkiller Base as the established physics of Star Wars' hyperspace travel demand.

I've already know what I need to get:

1. TFA shot of the 'Falcon travelling down the hyperspace tunnel;

2. TFA shot from behind Han and Finn/Chewie as they emerge from hyperspace and see the snow-capped mountains below them.

3. A View To A Kill (1985 James Bond film) intro sequence featuring Russian helicopter and troops chasing Bond over a glacier. There is a shot of the exploding chopper I need.

15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    And then? The shot of Leia sensing Han's death, followed by a repeat of Hux yelling "Fire" and the beam crossing space to destroy a planetary system, which we are cleverly led to believe is the Ileenium System, cue end credits?

16. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Star Wars

Remove or reduce the entry into Mos Eisley.

Han shoots first.

Re-delete Jabba mostly because the dialog is too repetitive within too short a period in time.

Empire

Fix the lightsaber sound effect when leaving the Wampa cave.

Jedi

Go back to Yub Yub and delete the goofy, feel good, fake closure galactic celebration

DavidSword79 likes this.
  17. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    Too-Gon Onbourbon, I agree with all of that except Yub Yub. Yes, I grew up with it in the pre-SE era. Yes, it has a goofball charm. But no, it doesn't end the Saga on a soaring emotional note the way the Celebration music does.

Anyway, I'm just glad someone is contributing to this thread. I imagined it would have a bigger response among malcontents and OOT supporters. =(( :p

18. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I'd settle for keeping the celebration score and deleting the galactic celebration shots, that is the part I don't really cotton to.

I am weird though I'd keep Jedi Rocks (which many hate) and bring back Yub Yub (which seems the one change most like better) left to my own devices, I just think it fits better with my preferred Endorcentric ending.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  19. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    We Star Wars fans are an eclectic bunch. And that's exactly what I thought would make this thread so much fun! Keep Jedi Rocks but nix the Celebration music? Blasphemy! ;)

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - Remove the Ronto.
    - correct the lightsabers and colors
    - Shaw as Anakin
    - restore Luke's wink
    - restore lines like "You're lucky you don't taste very good" and "bring my shuttle."
    - ditch Jedi Rocks
    - redo the lighting on the Emperor in ESB so that he doesn't look like he's wearing a hat
    - restore the original ESB Emperor-Vader dialogue while keeping McDiarmid
    - remove the ring from Alderaan's explosion (why does Alderaan have a ring when nothing else besides the Death Stars have rings?)
    - undo the wierd editing in the AOTC Blu-Ray

DavidSword79 likes this.
  21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I feel stupid for either forgetting or not knowing about this to begin with, but where was this wink before?

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In the Yub Nub version of the Ghost scene.

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    *checks Youtube*

Well, I'll be damned

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Uhm, ships coming out of Hyperspace slow down very quickly, in case you hadn't noticed.

Notice how quickly the ships jump into, and out of, Hyperspace....especially the big cruiser 0:30.

25. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    A.N.H: Take out all of the CGI blob during the Mos Espa scene when Luke and Old Ben pull in. Especially when the animal blocks the whole screen with his stomach as he walks by. I respect GL and commend him so much but I do not understand why he approved that. Remove the Jabba the Hutt scene from Episode 4, because Jabba would never let Han step on his tail like that and it also ruins the reveal of Jabba in RotJ. Oh and for the love of everything holy, keep the original Han-Greedo scene as is, nuff said. Keep the rest of the changes
    E.S.B: Keep Vader's original line of "Bring me my shuttle" after Luke escapes on Bespin... the "alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" line or whatever it was, is fine, but doesnt fit as well in the moment as the original line does.
    R.o.t.J: Keep Lapti Nek in it. Not because Jedi Rocks is terrible(because it's catchy) but the CGI characters are abnoxious. The force ghost change is back-and-forth for me, I see why GL put in Hayden Christensen but at the same time Sebastian Shaw seems like he fits better and more naturally in the scene. Maybe if GL recorded Hayden Christensen specifically for that scene instead of copy and pasting his head, it would look better. Idk, I like the Christensen force ghost, but I also like Shaw's