main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Makers Fair - Museum of Science - March 1 2014

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BobaChris12, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    I was talking to Bill's brother in law about a worbla demonstration (perhaps molding and making wristbands for kids). I have some worbla I can donate to the cause. However, if we have enough going in terms of crafts no problem.

2. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    We do have a lot of activities planned but I think a worbla demo is a must for our table. It is the primary reason we are there.

3. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    A worbla demonstration is a great idea but I have some very serious concerns about safety. Of course this would be done by an adult, I worry about injury associated with the heat gun. Having recently acquiring a very bad and quite painful 2nd/3rd degree burn from my beloved heat gun, I worry about young, curious, hands, touching the heat gun. The tables will be ground level with traffic all around and unless it is isolated away or protected, anyone can reach over and touch the heated tip, with remains extremely HOT for a long period of time.. My burn happened with a millisecond of exposure. Something to consider.

How about this?...
    Have a demonstration scheduled throughout the day but have already made bracelets for kids to distribute. To make one per kid will cause a long line and back up…. I will be unable to assist with the pre-fab however- I am working diligently (and hopefully) on finishing my costume. Plus I am super low on WORBLA and not sure when my next order will be delivered.

I am hoping to assemble a display using step by step photos of some of my WORBLA creations.

4. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    For a worbla demo, I wasn't thinking of having anybody but us touching the heat gun or the worbla. Just us (read: "you ladies") showing how it's done.

Having a keepsake for the kids is a neat idea but sounds like too much hassle to me.

5. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I know the demo would be done by "us" but the gun remains hot for a long time and anyone can inadvertently touch the metal part. It is a concern I have, and it has been voiced.

6. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Indeed. It is voiced and if we do such a demo we will secure the heat gun after its use.

7. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    There is definitely room for a worbla demo.

8. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Do we have a schedule of our events? I will be there from 10-12 and then again from 2:30 - 4. I'd like to have a sense of what I can participate in other than just being there. :)

9. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    Hi All, I have a good amount of worbla left over. Good point about the burn Ana. Perhaps there is some type of heat proof box we can use to store the heat gun? I'll try to think up something… Perhaps we should explicitly ask the museum if they are ok with it? If all is approved, we should also definitely have a sign telling people not to touch the gun that it is extremely hot. Assuming we can find a way to secure the gun what should we demonstrate?

10. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Beckie and I will definitely be there with our boys, so we were planning on splitting time at the table or wherever there is assistance needed that way we can help and the boys will be able to enjoy the fair.

11. Slee The Sloth

Slee The Sloth Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2013
    For the HOT GUN, might use a small fire safe?

12. VideoPrince

May 31, 2002

Right now we're thinking of 3 sessions of cardboard tube light saber making, about 20 kids per session, and 3 sessions of paper bag puppet making, again maybe 20 per session. We also have a few volunteers for reading SW kid books in the kids area behind the museum store, maybe 3 or 4 10 minute sessions. Just need to finalize times for these things.

13. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I have received an email with parking info and passes for those attending. I will email them out in the next day or two. If you do not receive one by Wed, please note here. I will be going by those who have responded to this thread.
    Larry, I copied you on an email I sent to the museum for a bit more info.

14. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    No dueling demo or anything with kids being led through some sort of training experience that bears no resemblance to any activity that is trademarked or copyrighted?

15. VideoPrince

May 31, 2002
    No, I don't believe so.

16. Slee The Sloth

Slee The Sloth Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2013
    Looking forward to this event! :)

17. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    No Saber Demo's this week. Probably going to be a large crowd and a lot going on already.

18. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    You mean at the Makers' Fair? Or has a moratorium been declared for the entire week by Lucas Arts?

19. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    The email with parking and arrival information has been sent. We can start setting up as early as 730am, please arrive NO LATER THAN 830.
    The email includes my cell no to contact me if there is a last minute issue.
    The names I turned in to the MUSEUM are:

Sean Moore - registered as a Maker with (Phantom Computers) with R2 unit
    Anna (Snow Mando (hopefully) & Wonder Woman worbla armor)
    Bill R
    Dan M
    Michelle
    David Barone bringing Pepekura creations
    Steve Lu
    Larry & B9
    Janice
    Chris B (coming later in day)
    Jon D with light sabers
    Nick
    Elizabeth B
    Norma (Mrs Robinson)
    Dan and Beckie R
    Lisa and Dave B

Victoria W
    Please let me know ASAP if I missed anyone, OR if you did not receive the email with the parking pass, details for the day, or map.

As I mentioned in the email:
    please try to carpool- parking is limited - comment below about carpooling-
    I will bring a case of water- please bring snacks etc- I am not sure about provided sustenance

20. Doubleblade86

Doubleblade86 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2009
    Lisa and Victoria had to drop out but I will still be there !!!

21. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    Thanks, Dave!! I will also let them know you might be a little later as you are coming from work.
    Looking forward to seeing you!

22. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    just the faire.

23. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I wanted to attend this event, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me.

My hip and back have decided to catch up with me and are making any movement difficult.

24. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I hope you feel better, Chris!

25. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    We have an extra folding table that we can bring if anyone needs it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.