main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Maketh_Tua

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CoolyFett, Jan 31, 2015.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Yeah, that's true. I like how there showing, at least with Maketh that is; that the Empire does have good people. I think that's really important. I hope we get to see more decent Imperial Officers and other government officials in the next season too.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No Tua in the most recent episode damn I wanted to see what expressions she would make this time.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Wonder if Maketh will join the rebels.....

4. Fuzzy ambassador

Fuzzy ambassador Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2012
    I'm wondering the same thing. The look on her face when heads were a 'rollin!

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I doubt it I think Vader will end her life with the rest of them.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Since she survived the first season, I wonder what's in store for her in season two.

7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Strikes me as one of those Imperial Bureaucrats who truly believes in the security of the new order...but never accepted the reality the people in charge. The look on her face when Tarkin had Aresko and Grint executed kind of showed her that reality...I would love to see her going forward from this with fear about screwing up.

8. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I think she might be more important as things go along. She's obviously got the Imperial mantras and mottos down but seeing Tarkin in action and ordering lackeys to be ''permanently demoted'' seemed to genuinely shock her, she probably doesn't/didn't realise exactly what she was in for with the Empire and I can see her wavering on the fence. She hasn't done anything 'evil' yet for sure, and she figured out Sabine's little scheme impressively quick so she's not stupid - merely naïve.

9. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    She'll get space married to Agent Kallus. :p

In all seriousness, I want to learn about her past.

darskpine10 likes this.
  10. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    it's funny how we get drawn to certain supporting characters isn't it, regardless of what show we're watching. When I first saw her in "Droids in Distress" I just wrote her off as some random Imperial we'd see once and probably not again. Then she shows up as a recurring character with an interesting personality. Someone who really believes in the good of the empire, but doesn't come off as thoroughly evil. It was unexpected, and consequently, intriguing.

I have to agree I'd like to know more about her and get some character development, if not in the series, then elsewhere.

11. Danifae

Danifae Jedi Master star 1

Aug 23, 2004

WHAT HERESY IS THIS!? Ha. Kallus and Tua would be the worst married couple, constantly arguing and rolling their eyes at each other; they seem to have a completely different approach to priorities, not to mention their general temperament (Kallus is calm, Tua is highly strung). But yeah, Tua needs more development - in Season 1 at least, she seems to be a flat character. I really want to see Governor Pryce, or other female Imperials in Season 2 and see how their personalities and agendas vary from each other.

I'll say that Tua isn't as evil as the other Imperials (such as Kallus, Tarkin and Vader), but she's not that innocent nor particularly compassionate.

A Tumblr user recently made an excellent post analysing Tua's attitude with regards to the disruptors and the genocide of the Lasat in Droids in Distress; if you recall, she doesn't care nor question why the disruptors were banned when Zeb tells her that disruptors are illegal. A weapon would have to have a shockingly bad reputation to get banned by the Imperial Senate - Tua is going behind the Senate's back, and isn't concerned enough to investigate or reconsider the arms deal with Wabo. There's her amused approach to the rare sight of a Lasat when she communicates with Kallus via hologram, which as the Tumblr user mentioned, would imply that she knows that something devastating happened to the Lasat and finds it funny (which is perverse/twisted whether she's aware of the Empire's involvement or not). She also seems to buy into the Empire's xenophobic sentiments by her somewhat constant disgusted facial expression and snappish manner towards Wabo (particularly when she temporarily loses the translator services of C-3PO, and also when the rebels drive her and Wabo into hiding from the firefight).

Then there's her ice-cold, steely attitude when she and Kallus corner the rebels in Vision of Hope - she gives off the impression that she wants all the rebels (including Ezra and Sabine, who are children) dealt with FOR RUINING EMPIRE DAY!!!, by prompting Kallus to determine where Sabine and Zeb are - she doesn't bat an eyelid nor plead for any form of mercy when Kallus threatens the group (in which Ezra, a 14 year old boy, is present) with execution if they refuse to talk. She's not a monster of the same degree that Kallus, Tarkin and Vader are, but she's not a nice character; she has a ruthless streak (though to a much lesser degree) and is a willing participant in a corrupt, exploitative regime. You have to wonder if she actually is fully aware of how the Empire treats the average citizen of Lothal, but doesn't care enough about their plight to intervene; there's that Holonet story about her bringing Empire-sponsored housing to Lothal, but then as we all know, that channel is a poor source of accurate and impartial information. IIRC, in Edge of the Galaxy, there were people unhappy with the Empire's policies who kept trying to appeal to Governor Pryce to intercede on their behalf, but their calls were always fobbed off. I can imagine the same thing happening to Tua in Pryce's absence and Tua ranting and rolling her eyes in exasperation. ;)

I hope we get to see more of Tua; with the focus on the rebels working together without Kanan around in Rebel Resolve, it made sense for her not to be in that episode. However, it was a surprise to see her not greet Tarkin at the end of Fire Across the Galaxy; maybe Tua was in a meeting, is keeping a low profile (feeling very frightened and starting to question the Empire), or there's a more mundane explanation such as Kath Soucie was't available for the episode's recording session or Disney felt that Tua's presence at the end would have felt too forced. You would have thought that Kallus would have at the least a couple of stormtroopers with him when he greeted Tarkin (even with unrest breaking out all over Lothal, surely some stormtroopers would have been spare!), but the absence of a guard and his attitude when giving his report hinted at a passive aggressive snub. Smooth, Kallus. Real smooth.

12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Danifae

Lol. I ship them. Plus opposites attract, apparently. :p

Nice points though. :)

13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Nice post @ Danifae, I think the lack of stormtroopers is tied to Kallus' remark that there is a lot of anti-Imperial sentiment going around suddenly and most of them will have been cracking down on dissenters and protests. Tua may have been involved in that aspect or it could be she knows that she hasn't really proven herself to Tarkin very convincingly and her head is probably next on the chopping block if he decides another lesson needs learning so she's making herself scarce. She honestly could go either way, either turn anti-Empire when she realises just HOW evil it can be (which I don't think she's grasped yet) or she'll find the dark side/evil is much more fun and go full out psychopath - this probably ties into whether my own hunch that Kallus is going to be operating his own agenda at some point is correct or not.

Danifae likes this.
  14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Given Darth Vader turned up at the end I suspect she would have been crying... in fact I suspect the two storm troopers' Kallus had spare probably volunteered to act as her guards since a planet in turmoil isn't as scary as a visit by Tarkin (after all last time the commandant and the taskmaster died so I figure they'd realise staying out of sight doing something practical such as protect the woman who noticed something a fully trained ISB Agent didn't).

Hmm... first time they met she realised she'd been conned, the second time they meet she notices they're missing two members of their cell I'd say the Storm Troopers' would consider her a lucky omen!:D

15. Fuzzy ambassador

Fuzzy ambassador Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2012
    I wonder if Tua was spoonfed some B.S like this- "We went to Lasan to do a little 'harmless' mining/logging /factory building/puffer pig ranching whatever/ and these brute monsters opposed us and destroyed our equipment. When we made an example of one of them, showed them that the Empire will not stand for such wanton acts of vandalism, the savages attacked us with their bo-rifles and whatever else they could get their mangy paws on. They killed many good men and women. Now, normally I wouldn't say this in the company of such a well-bred Imperial as yourself, Minister Tua, but there are well-substantiated rumors that the lasats tore the armor right off the stormtroopers' bodies and feasted on their flesh! Naturally, we had to eradicate this violent species."

I would love to see an episode where Zeb and Maketh are trapped somewhere together and she is forced to hear his side of the story. I kind of hope she becomes a spy for the rebels.

16. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    An episode about her getting stuck with the rebels (maybe captured?) would be great and a good way of giving her a lot of character development.

17. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I'd like to see this too. I could see everyone being distrustful of her, and then she admits something like 'The Empire isn't as bad as you think.' And the others being like 'Yes it is.' And then Zeb tells her what really happened to his people or something. I wonder if she would end up crying? It's possible.

Iron_lord and Senator Kelberry like this.
  18. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    If she's not already one? I still maintain that there's something off about that woman. She's far too cheery and perky to have served the Empire for any length of time.She reminds me of Flo from those Progressive insurance commercials.

I think she's putting on an act. But the question still remains...who is she really? [face_thinking]

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I think she has been feed Imperial Propaganda.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  20. Danifae

Danifae Jedi Master star 1

Aug 23, 2004
    That sounds like a great idea to develop Tua's character!

IMO, she doesn't seem like the sort to cry (well, not in front of others) - too much pride, not to mention she comes across as a cold person who puts up a lot of barriers as a form of control and to keep a distance between herself and others. Geez, what is it with the Imperials in Rebels consistently being described as being up their own backsides? Ahem, well more like having inflated egos. :p

If Tua was confronted with the truth, I can see her becoming defensive and reacting with anger and disbelief, possibly denial too. After all, few people want to see themselves or be regarded as being 'bad' or in the wrong - particularly when they support or assist an oppressive regime.

Tua seems to have invested a lot of faith in the Empire and with her position, she's better off and enjoys more privileges and power than the majority of people on Lothal - getting her to rid herself of all the perks she's entitled to, not to mention betraying a powerful and wide-spread regime which acts with impunity, would be an unattractive prospect and absolutely terrifying. Walking away from everything you've built (or rather, anything which forms a massive part of your life), as well as fear of change and the unknown can make what looks to be a straightforward choice very, very difficult. Tua could either make a choice for the better in ethical terms, be made paralysed and indecisive by fear, or else commit herself completely to the Empire as a loyal and efficient (if fearful) servant.

While I like the idea of Tua becoming a rebel sympathiser, in a way, I wouldn't mind seeing her stick with the Empire (whether out of fear for her life/fear of change, or rationalised faith in the regime) as we could really do with a female Imperial who is ruthless and embraces the Empire's policies as her male colleagues do; the actions of women who staffed the Nazi concentration/labour camps in WW2, members of the Red Guard in China during the Communist Revolution and so on, showed that they were just as capable of atrocities, brutality and oppression as anyone else. I dislike the cliché that beneath the surface of an attractive female villain is a repressed good girl/mother goddess of compassion just waiting to reassure her future allies with an unexpected kind word. Ugh.

Iron_lord and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Her name sounds like it translates to something like " make two or make it to".

22. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    My sick mind just built and launched a Zeb/Tua ship.

Luckily the ship's still in my mind.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Concentrate all fire on that ship. ;)

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Will the real Fulcrum please stand up? [face_dunno]

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014