main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Making a Kit Fisto Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Ulario, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes, but part of the reason for you to take on the task of doing a Kit Fisto costume is that you try to be as accurate to the movie as possible, that is how people first saw him and that is how his coustme should be recreated.

-just my 2 cents.

2. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    To each their own.

But just remember this.

Without creative license there would be no pure White Vader to marvel at at C3. There would be no fem troopers, elvis trooper or Darth Jar Jar. (That was pretty funny)

There would be no Bubba Fett or the many different ranges of colors we see in the Boba Fetts. No all black stormtroopers. Without creative license we are nothing more than walking talking clones of each other without individuality. I couldn't imagine a world like that. I'm thankful the world is the way it is.

3. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Actually the pure white Vader was a replica of the vader from RotJ infinities comic.......

4. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were the foremost expert on making Kit Fisto costumes yourself. My bad."

No, I'm just more observant that you are, apparently.

But when you are doing a specific character from the movies, you should try to be as accurate as you can, otherwise it looks like you don't care, and maybe you don't. That's how it sounds.

Your "ineterpretation" of a character not what the hard core fans want to see. Only the ones that don't know any better don't care.

But if you are happy with it, and have fun with it, that's fine. Just don't try to tell people that it's the most accurate Kit Fisto costume that anyone has made. Because you now know it's not true.

5. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Bravo.=D=

6. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Besides, those femme troopers and black stormtroopers and Bubba Fett went out of their way to make original creative decisions. You just got lazy and made the belt wrong. So now it just looks like you don't know what you're doing.

7. Darkmood

Darkmood Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    BRAVO! To Jedi-Loreen! You have said what we have all been thinking!

8. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    LOL I truly pity you all and feel deeply sorry that your minds are so closed.

If your whole lives are consumed with becoming obsessed with things like this then the problem obviously doesn't lie with me, it's something else that you're projecting on. If it wasn't my belt it would be something else, and if it wasn't me, it would be someone else.

I'm just as much a hardcore fan as the next without losing my grip on reality but you are right about one thing. I don't care. I don't care about your petty comments or nit picky attitudes. I made my costume the way I did on purpose so get used to it.

Furthermore I never said mine was the most accurate did I? But I can smile in the mask, a trademark of the Jedi in action which I have not seen reproduced as of yet. I didn't ask for your opinion and I don't care about it either. I just posted some useful advice in a forum because someone was asking for the help. I suggest that if none of you have the maturity to respect that, that you keep your comments to yourself.

Honestly I expected more maturity from a lot of you. Especially the ones in their middle age. That is just pathetic.

9. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    You can think whatever you want. We just can't take your "advice" seriously when you don't produce quality work. People usually want to learn from people who you can admire. So if you want to attack everyone and call them "obsessed," "petty," "nit picky," and "pathetic," then people will respect your advice even less. You'll notice no one else made personal attacks on YOU. So if you want to talk "maturity," maybe those labels would be more appropriately applied to yourself.

10. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    Ditto.

11. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    I should think people who claim to know so much should be able to tell the difference between accuracy and quality. Quality refers to how well something is constructed. How seams look, the grade and texture of the materials used. Precision. Accuracy is how closely something resembles the original.

You can hide behind the mentality of "I'm rubber, you're glue" all you want but the fact is the statements made were petty and not very fitting of a professional attitude.

As far as I'm concerned this useless debate is over.

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I'm not sure why Mark's costume is so frowned upon here - perhaps it is not screen accurate, but then neither are a lot of other costumes that are shared here by members, and typically we try to be very supportive of everyone no matter what their skill level, or level of replication to the screen costumes.

I've read his tutorial post a few times now and I really don't see where he says it is the best or the most screen accurate - there is a suggestion for doing a step a certain way to keep it screen accurate, but other than that, I thought it was just trying to help out by describing another way of doing this costume, which people might take or leave.

Certainly no one has attacked him, but they have criticized his costume, and I don't think that's what we're about here. Some people may find it useful, others may not. Some people may find his belt too wide, but then they don't have to wear it, or make theirs the same way.

Let's keep it positive folks!

13. Darkmood

Darkmood Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    He made that statement in his previous thread which has "mysteriously" disappeared. He said he was the only person who did it "right". And I think the fact that he said that and that he is so arrogant about it is the problem that we all have with him.

14. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    It said this,
    How to make a Kit Fisto costume by the only one known to have done it right
    Something like that, his costume was good, but no one really should come out so strong, as him claiming that he has the best costume.
    -Oh well, that thread was deleted for a reason, so we forget about it, move along.

15. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    some of you guys just make my eyes roll... everyone on this thread has wonderful costumes. even if they are not screen accurate or canon. I really respect the time that someone has to put into a costume. A friend of mine has told me numerous times that he admires me for doing something that I love and enjoying it. He thinks that there are not many people like that anymore.... he thinks nobody cares about anything anymore. So I forwarded him to this Costume & Props Forum and he was amazed.

I just think its really sad that you guys came down on Mark so hard... I don't think you really can critique something unless you understand what goes into making that costume. I have made a Shaak Ti costume... my life for 3 months was concentrated on that costume... and I feel its the best Shaak Ti costume made... well except for the film one. And I know and all you guys can see that its not screen accurate. But I love wearing it.

here is shaak ti if you want to see.

http://www.badlands.ca/modules.php?name=gallery2&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3348

Thats my thoughts.

16. DARTH_SILLYNOUS

DARTH_SILLYNOUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    Well said!

17. Brino

Brino Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2005
    I agree. And both the costumes (Shaak Ti and Kit Fisto) are well made and you guys have no right to critisize theem. They put alot of hard work and effort into those costumes and you guys just crush by saying "It's not screen accurate so it sucks..." So unless you can't say stuff like "Wow! What a nice costume!", then I suggest you just shut your mouth and not say anything at all. Just my thoughts.

~Brino

18. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    everyone just wants constructive criticisum. even if you haven't made a Kit Fisto costume or Shaak Ti you know right away if you like the costume or not... like a movie. Just don't say it sucks or not, say what needs improvement. Thats why these forums are here.

19. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Well said ms-ventress and Brino!

It was removed because it had become a flame war pretty much right off the bat - let's not see this thread become the same, especially when this time he has NOT posted the same comments that set everyone off. You can't go attacking someone about comments that you remember seeing that don't exist anymore - let's go with what's actually posted. Mark removed the comments about it being the best way, or the best costume, and just posted how he made his costume, which some people may find useful, or they may not.

I'm sure all our costumes aren't perfect in some way or other - wouldn't we all hate to share our photos of them here if we thought everyone else on the board was going to jump on us and say "you did it wrong".

20. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    I've already had someone PM me about their fear to do so. They said based on what they saw in this thread they are now frightened to post anything that has any minor changes in color or anything else for fear of getting ripped on.

That shouldn't be done to anyone, least of all fans doing it to one another.

21. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    The thing that got everyone set off was when he said he had the best costume....

no one came off saying he had the worst costume until they saw that he said he had the best, thats it.

22. PloKoon36

PloKoon36 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    There is no right and wrong here, when making a costume you love and enjoy to wear. If accuracy is your goal thats great, if creativity is your goal that is great aswell. there is so much good will and sharing of ideas on these message boards we must not become mired in disputes created by ego and anger. I admit that the original claim that it was a Kit fisto costume "done the right way" was hurtful to myself since I made one, I realise Mark probably never saw my costume, and was just happy with his own. It was a boastful statement however and not worthy of a Jedi in the end. But to return to Mark with equal anger is un Jedi like aswell. Compassion and understanding are at the heart of this story that we all love so much, honestly when we finish a costume and wear it out in public, is there any greater reward than the smile and appreciation we recieve from other fans and children. For one I appreciate all your work, and I am always glad that when I am at an event there are other people in costume there aswell, no matter how accurate, or how creative, I'm just thankful you guys are there. So lets all be calm and as objective as we can. I liked Mark's creativity to have the open mouth area on his Kit, I did a similar thing and when I get pictures posted I will share them. I also love the Shaak ti costume. It is a wonderful design for an often overlooked species. My friend who has the Kit Fisto costume, myself with Plo Koon, and a couple other Jedi are all meeting at Comic Con in San Diego, I hope to see many of you there.

23. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    It doesn't say that anywhere in this thread, so let's move on. People just coming to this thread will wonder why everyone is criticizing.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that whoever that person is will still post their pictures, and that we've all learned something from this interchange and can return to treating each other courteously and encouragingly in this forum.

24. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Well, I would say that it's a better Kit Fisto costume than what I'm capable of making, at this time.

(Except maybe for the belt :p )

25. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001

That's either because nobody wants to put the money or work into a foam latex mask or they don't want to have a crappy unicolor mask. What you did with the ability to smile is not exactly "revolutionary." It was an option I considered a year ago then ditched it because of the paint scheme issue. I could cut out the mouth of my mask and give myself the ability to smile. If I did that, boy would your face be red (or rather, ugly green). But I don't care about being teh uber coolest. I set out to make an accurate (to ROTS) Kit Fisto mask as best as I could, not cut corners and say it was "all part of my plan."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.