main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Making a Model on your own

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RIPLEY426, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    Anyone in need of a model-making tutorial? (I mean stage-models, minitature- sets for scenes that need extra sets that were to big to build them in real)

I´m sure I can do quite good film-models. If you want to have a look at my page:

Click: www.darkmoon2.de.vu

-> MAKING OF PICS. There you can see a floorway with three green doors. This is actually a model. If someone wants me to do a little tutorial, I will make one up

2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    uuuuh by typing CLICL next you you address you cant expect it to become a hyperlink ;) learn markup codes

3. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    I didn´t type "CLICL" I typed CLICK. And if you´re smart, look at my signature

4. dr_modean

dr_modean Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2003
    Happy now?

www.Darkmoon2.de.vu

There now you can clearly see the link I have made that is also in his signiture.

5. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    The link does not work.

I once tried to do a markupcode, but when I did it, it did NOT work... SO don´t tell me

6. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    DR: You need to have the "[LINK=" include "HTTP://" before the "www" to get your link to work.

"And now, down to business."

The model looks pretty nice.
    The ceiling lights look really good, but why do they project light to the side instead of just down like a real light?

Was the camera intentionally set below waist level? I guess it makes for a dramatic shot, but normally the camera would be at head-height.

The biggest thing that kinda gives away the fact that it's a model is that a lot of seams are showing. Especially where the walls meet the floor. If you add some wall trim at the base there, you could probably cover that.

The doorways could also use some more detail. Real doors are almost always inserted as subassemblies into walls. There should be trim the whole way around to cover the "rough cut" hole in the wall. (Since your handles are on the redish borders, they are viewed as being part of the door rather than trim)

The last minor detail is that the handles and door design suggest that the doors will pull open into the hall.
    One - this is almost never the case in real life as it's a safety hazard to people walking out of the "lab". (They can be hit by the door if someone is leaving the room on the right.)
    Second - If the doors do open into the hall, then the hinges should be visible on this side of the doors. If the hinges are on the other side of the door, it wouldn't be possible for them to pull open.

Hope this helps.
    Have fun.

7. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Good points! The model is done... But next time I could do it like that....

Well, the doors are illogical. But it is more meant to be as a "SET.model" not a miniature of a real building. If it is mperfect, it might look more like a big SET rather than a small model of a building.
    This is actually only a TEST shot that i did with my digi-cam. But when I shoot it with a video camera, (the actual shot) it will be wel lit. The lights are only 5 halogen Lights on the ceeling. The lights aren´t light, actually these are only grids, which seperate the level you can see, from the level above. And THERE are the lights.... Well, it is meant to be like this in the TEST shot. I will of course post the REAL shot when it is done. Maybe it will be next weekend. One thing left:

Could you GUESS the scale? Tell me, how tall are the doors. Guess.

8. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    A guess? Sounds fun, looks like around 7cm.

9. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Had me fooled...looks pretty fake, but I didn't read closely enough and see that it's a miniature. So I thought it was full size...in that respect, good job. :)

10. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Thanks! Hehe, when I make is in the original film footage, it will look more real.
    7 cm of hights? well, it is actually about 17, 18 cm (the DOORS)

11. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    8-} When I hold a ruler up to my monitor, the doors are 7 cm tall. 8-}

17-18cm? Pretty good size there.
    Lookin' forward to seeing this in the final shot. Don't forget to post if for us when it's ready!

Have fun.

12. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    The whole film or only the shot?

13. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    !! BOTH (of course) !!
    But post the shot as soon as you feel it's ready. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Have fun.

14. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    The film will be, well I didn´t add the scenes together.. But it will be between 55 and 70 minutes long. and it is in German.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.