main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Making a moderator

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    That was because you told me about something and didn't provide a link, you fool! :p

Free Trell ... he pities the fool.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    It was still asking for a favor.

3. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    No it wasn't, it was asking for you to clarify what the eff you were talking about. :p

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Your newest favor over AIM was deemed a "command" ... I guess I can't bring it up. :(

In any case, Liz's story seems consistant with others that I've heard in various places across the forums.

5. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    -A need for a moderator is decided in the mod squad.
    -A nominations thread is made. Moderators from that board, and other boards, make suggestions.
    -If no real winner comes out of discussion there, a poll thread is made.
    -The winner of the poll thread is PM asking if s/he wants to become a mod.
    -S/he usually says yes.
    -S/he is promoted, told how to manage the pretty colors, given access to the Mod Squad
    -A thread is made in Comms.

You forgot the part where the new person waits like 15 minutes to respond to the PM in order to seem cool and not actually desperate.

!snap

6. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Ousley: eat me, pervert. :p

Free Trell ... he makes all the admins smile.

7. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    You forgot the part where the new person waits like 15 minutes to respond to the PM in order to seem cool and not actually desperate.

Or an hour because they're honestly thinking it over, wondering if they have the time or the inclination to work to make the forums a better place? Wondering if they have the patience to deal with common animalistic stupidity day after day with little to no recognition? To be called out in public because something they did was unpopular? To have to worry every time they press the 'ban' button that it might become a nine page thread in comms?

Or maybe a couple days to worry about if they'll have nightmares that their forum is overrun with a spam troll and no one's bothered to inform another moderator? To worry about stress being compounded from this? To finally wonder if they'd have to resign two days into the job because it's bloody harder than it looks?

8. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Well if you start putting that on the poster you're not going to get many volunteers.

!snap

9. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    Perhaps they should, then. I lost count my first month how many white hairs I was getting.

10. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i was gone for about 18 hours today, and there were 8 messages when i got back. very weird

11. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    It's only going to get worse. Trust me.

*hands you cookies*

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I think there's a psychiatrist somewhere in the world specifically for ex-JCC mods who had to quit because of stress.

Seriously, what is everyone's deal about being a mod? You get no respect from any regular users, banning is simply not worth the drama it causes usually, and you become the target of hackers who want access to MS, which mostly comprises of threads about technical errors and occasional debates about possible policies. You're held to a much higher standard then regular users - what would warrant a 24 ban for a regular user, would get a mod a 48 hour ban, temporary demotion or possibly even permanent demotion.

That said, banning someone you don't like does give you a bit of a rush.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    If it's so bad why don't mods quit more often?

14. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    Because the people who get promoted for the most part like what they do. They like helping out the forums, giving back to the community. And when they stop liking it, they step down or get permbanned.

15. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And when they stop liking it, they step down or get permbanned.

Yup. When I was doing it, it was stressful, there was a lot of crap thrown my way, from people I banned (One guy even threatened, on another meeage board, to cut my throat if he ever saw me), but for the time I was a mod, I was having fun, I enjoyed modding. When it became not fun anymore, and I wasn't enjoying it at all, I stepped down before I could become truly jaded and fully cynical.

16. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    there was a lot of crap thrown my way, from people I banned

You took a shower after the incedent right?

(One guy even threatened, on another meeage board, to cut my throat if he ever saw me),

Now that's taking a message board a little to seriously.

17. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Yeah, no kidding. I've been banned twice and have gotten over any hard feelings I ever had towards either of the mods who did it.

I can't imagine threatening someone because he/she banned me on a message board. In fact, if you ever want to put it into perspective, tell someone who doesn't post here what happened. "You got banned on a Star Wars message board? That's hilarious." Even when I didn't think it was all that funny at the time, I had to step back and laugh.

You're held to a much higher standard then regular users - what would warrant a 24 ban for a regular user, would get a mod a 48 hour ban, temporary demotion or possibly even permanent demotion.

If it makes you feel better, CRs are subject to the same standard--and we can't lock threads or ban people. ;)

18. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Anakin_girl, if I could give CRs moderating powers so that I didn't have to do it, I would have done it already. :p

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    You'd think that 51000+ posts would make one a Mod, but apparently not.

20. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Flattery over quantity, Bib.

21. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "You'd think that 51000+ posts would make one a Mod, but apparently not. "

No, I'd think that 51000+ posts would score a permban for incessant daily spamming, but apparently not.

Edit: And in all seriousness, you need to forward your pic to the Head Admin before you're promoted Seldon. ;)

22. TheFanBoy

TheFanBoy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I want to be a mod someday, that would own!!
    I remember this summer when I first came to the boards a Mod was nice to me, the only person who was, and it inspired me to want to be a Mod and help other people.

23. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Nothing wrong with wanting to be a mod or PM'ing your interest to another mod. I went a bit far and thus the perpetual reminders. But I'd rather promote someone who wants to help and make things better. Anyone who accepts the position feels the same way.

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    So Sapient, you're saying that if I have a real interest to be a mod, I should just send a few PM's? I have a drive to lead for some reason. Same drive has me in charge of my club at school and partly my Fan Force.

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't understand why people get so upset by those who want to help and make the boards better. That's a positive thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.