main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

making a saber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BucketHead8723, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    I am in the process of building a light saber. I was wondering if it is possible to make an EL saber at home. If so, how much will it cost?

2. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I know that it is possible to make one at your home...however you need to have a custom job done at a place that makes EL signs for bars and stuff. I think it costs around 100 bucks for the EL blade it self, and the Hilt (if its hardware saber should cost...I'd say maybe 30 at most. People will know more than I though. Good luck

Forcebewitya!

3. krillindb

krillindb Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I thought that you could just buy some elwire with inverter from elwirecheap.com and buy some polycarbonate tubing from usplastics and then put the wire through the polycarbonate tubing. And if you learn to solder it you can make it removeable by using something like a male and female av cable connector as a plug a thumb screw to secure the blade. That was just my idea and i havent tried it yet, but i would think that it would be cheaper and hopefully work. But make sure to wait for other suggestions like from people who have done this to be sure of what you want to do.

4. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    You should be able to just buy a blade from some place like Parksabers and add the electronics in your hilt to make it glow.

5. Ahhnuld

Ahhnuld Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2002
    Lightech also sells a complete kit that includes the blade, inverter, and jack for the hilt.

6. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    Ahhnuld: How much do those cost?

7. Ahhnuld

Ahhnuld Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2002
    I believe they are about $125.

8. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    hi guys;

watch about giving out names and such on the threads...and yes with kits you can make your own saber. i made mine and jedi loreen did the electronics and made the blade. if you have questions you should go to the orange county fan force sight and check out the lightsaber building class thread. or you can PM me with questions if you like

9. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "watch about giving out names and such on the threads"

why do you say that?

Forcebewitya!

10. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Because we're not really supposed to be talking about unlicensed replicas on the public boards, that's why. Though people do. [face_plain]

Zack, I'm surprised at you, I thought you already knew that I make EL blades. Have you not paid any attention to my signature, and title? ?[face_plain]

And did you not see my blades at "Relay for Life"?

I'm the one you should be asking about this. Too bad you may not be at our OCSWS meeting Aug. 10, we could talk about it then, if you were.
    ;)

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I don't really see the problem with talking about unliscenced equipment if it's answering someone's question or pointing someone to a website, like 'I want to buy a replica saber. Where can I' kinda thing. But I'm not a lawyer so it's none of my business :)

Hey Jedi-Loreen, I'm interested in making my own EL blade. Can you point me to some websites with tutorials or basic equipment? If I'm not mistaken, you just need to get some EL wire and run it through a plastic tube, then solder a connector, like a mail stereo adapter, onto the end if you want it removed. Do you have a website yourself? Thanks :)

12. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well both Lighttech and Parks don't make actual replicas per se, so they are in a bit of a legal loophole.

Didn't Jeff actually get some legal proof that as long as his handles aren't exact copies of the props that he is free to sell his items? Something to do with Lucas unable to copyright the idea of a light sword or somesuch.

I do believe the actual term lightsaber (-sabre) is copyrighted though.

Still, its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to discussing props dealers.

Jedi-Loreen, I sent you a PM ages ago asking about EL blade construction, and you never replied! :(

13. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    That's true, I've seen lots of threads about Parks and Lightech anyway. And I believe you are correct about the term "lightsaber" being copyrighted or something, which is why I don't mention that word in my Sig..

Making and EL blade is a little more complicated than how you describe it, if you don't want to have a blade that just looks like a clear plastic tube with EL wire in it, Q99213. Go over to the Rebel Legion Message board (I know you're a member, as am I), where I post as Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser, to the Jedi Forum and find the thread called "Lighttech Blades" (I know it's misspelled) which is still on the bottom of page 1 and then to page 2 and find the thread called "Pics of My Home-made EL Blades!". I talk about my blade construction in these 2 threads.

There aren't any tutorials about making home-made EL blades yet, that I'm aware of. I seem to be one of the first to have come up with a good diffusion method for home-made blades. And I also seem to have the most experience, since I've now made 15 blades. Eight for myself, and the rest I've sold to people who have ordered them from me.

There is, however, a tutorial in the works by a guy who posts over at the ASAP message boards using my method of blade construction per my instruction. It should be pretty good, with step-by-step photos. He's sent me the first draft to get my approval and is giving me full credit for doing the research that helped me come up with the method.

As soon as he's finished with it, I'll point you in the right direction. :)

I'm sorry Woofer, I've been getting so many inquiries about EL blades on the different message boards where I post, that I probably thought I had replied. [face_blush]

I'll go back and find your last PM, unless you want to send me another one. Do you have any new questions?

14. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Wow, Awesome!!! I know an electrical engineer that would probably help me do anything I can't already do. I'm pretty good with electronics, so I'm not too worried. Do you get your inverters from the place you get your wire? It doesn't look like they have anything small enough to fit in a saber hilt. :)

15. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I use the Pipsqueak inverters from coolneon.com. They recently changed the size, but now have more of the small ones that measure 1"x1"x.75". They are the best one's I've found that are that small, for use in a saber hilt. ;) When turned the right way, they will even fit into a 1" pipe. Even the 9V battery won't fit into a space that tight! (I know, because I have a prop idea, not saber related, just EL, that I want to use pipe that small for, with an inverter in it, if I can actually get a switch into it :p And grind out enough space for the battery! :eek: )

But I would call them to make sure that you're getting the small one. They are in Northern California. Their number is on the website. When you enter the coolneon site, click on "Products" for their catalog.

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Fantasmic!!! Thanks :) Hopefully around December I'll have the funds to start working on a blade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.