main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Making a Spider-Man costume....

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Daniel_B_Demented, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel_B_Demented

Daniel_B_Demented Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2006
    Hey everyone,

I've sewn up my own Spider-Man costume,(movie version) and it's almost complete. However, there is one step left before completion.
    I want to have the raised 3D webbing, but I'm not sure how to do it.
    I'm thinking of using acrylic, maybe a metallic gunmetal acrylic fabric paint. The problem is, I don't know what brand to use, or if fabric paint is the best route to choose.
    My suit is made of lycra, so the webbing has to be durable and pliable enough to stretch with the fabric without breaking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

2. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    If I remember correctly, the raised webbing was very difficult to create, which ended up being cast rubber adhered to the finished costume.

I don't think Puffy Paint is the way to go on this one...

3. Daniel_B_Demented

Aug 14, 2006
    Oh, I was also thinking of using this:
    http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?c=93&p=403527

I've used it before in screenprinting, and for that it works well. Cutting it into the correct pattern and applying it to the suit would be easy. But, I'm sure that once I move or the fabric stretches, it will rip quite easily.

4. scaredycats

scaredycats Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2007
    I have made a spiderman with the puffy paint and it does not hold up to multiple uses, I am now making 2 others
    one I am going very simple and using fabric paint to give the illusion of raised detail and the other is being embroidered.
    This takes a lot of patience and time since I am using a regular sewing machine, but in the end I think it will move with the fabric not break and give it that raised look.

Meg

5. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Dharma trading Co

You might try the Jones stretchy paints. It will stretch with your spandex or what ever you used...

6. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    When I see the amateur or semi-professional made Spider-Man costumes on eBay, it looks like they used something just like that.

Daniel,
    Did you find spandex with they small box/restangle pattern on it and if so, where?

7. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    I read those little rectangles were silk screened on and not from a pre-existing fabric.

8. Daniel_B_Demented

Aug 14, 2006
    Hmmm...
    I never thought to embroider the webbing in, that's a good idea!
    It would take an incredibly long time, but it would work well...
    I could do that myself, but given my schedule between work and school, I don't think there's enough time between now and the premiere to embroider the whole suit.
    I'll consider it in the future though!

9. Daniel_B_Demented

Aug 14, 2006
    I think I buy a bottle of that paint and use it on some scrap fabric, just to see how well it will work. Thanks for the tip!

I found sheet lycra with the brick pattern printed into it on ebay. I purchased a whole sheet of the red and blue in the brick pattern.
    There are similar auctions going on now, only the whole costume pattern is layed out on the fabric, with the webbing pattern and everything printed into it as well.

10. Daniel_B_Demented

Aug 14, 2006
    After looking over many different Spider-Man resources, I've discovered what the webbing is made of, and how it's made.
    In the Spider-Man 2 DVD special features, they talk about the webbing, and explain that it's actually made from foam-latex that's cast in a metal mold.
    The foam-latex is rather easy to acquire, the hard part will be making a durable and accurate mold. I don't have the resources to make a metal mold, so I'll experiment and see what other material will work best.

So, I'm going to give that a shot and see how it comes out.

11. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    foam latex gets baked in a oven right? try using dental stone to make molds for the webbing. that can be picked up at any dental supply place. i used it to make teeth molds when i was into making teeth. i think it might work, or maybe even plaster molds.

12. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Foam latex is very very very very very difficult to work with. Everything has to be perfect for it to even work.

Just so you know.

13. JediKnightGareth

JediKnightGareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Kinda makes you wonder how peter parker pulled it off in the first place.

"Oh I was just poking around some costuming sight and found a bunch of nifty links."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.