Amph Making Mine Marvel, from the beginning

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Mastadge, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Just a couple notes:

1) IIRC Kirby did the cover for AF#15 and was originally asked to do the book but couldn't get the look Lee was looking for, thus Ditko was brought on (though I am sure you all know that).

2) Its interesting to see the story evolve from this point forward. For instance the ever skeletal and sickly Aunt May started out rather healthy looking and even a little fat to be frank. Over the next few issues you start to see her health degrade into a more familiar figure.

3) And its odd that for a story Lee thought would be a simple one shot he wanted to get off his chest and brush his hands of, he did a lot of groundwork for what would shape Marvel's flagship franchise in just half a book. There is a lot of material here covered very quickly.

I am also amused that there is a teaser at the end for the next thrilling adventure of Spider-Man in next issue of Amazing Fantasy, when according to Lee's recollections of the story he knew the series was being canceled. :p
  2. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    He was also changed not by anger, but by nightfall, reverting to Banner at daybreak

Whoah. Did not know that.
  3. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    By the way, I know I'm missing the Ant-Man stories. My copy of Essential Ant-Man should arrive soon and I'll be able to fill them in.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Amazing Fantasy solicit. Maybe they meant to relaunch it in a revised format, but Spidey sold so well that instead of an Amazing Fantasy anthology they simply changed it to Amazing Spider-Man?
  4. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I get the feeling that Lee's recollection of what transpired may not be 100%. He is notorious for his bad memory (again "Peter Palmer").
  5. KissMeImARebel Force Ghost

star 4
    For anyone interested I believe you can still read this issue for free at Marvel's website here.

I think Kirby's Bruce Banner had a whole Hot Nerd look going on.
  6. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Still alive, guys. Just waiting on a couple essentials that should be here any day now.
  7. DAR Force Ghost

star 4
    I have the first five volumes of Essential Spider-Man, Essential Avengers volume one, Captain America volume one, Daredevil volume one, Essential Hulk vols one and two and the first three vols of Uncanny X-Men and Fantastic Four. Maybe I'll give those a look.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.