main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    As the human who started this thread...

Can we PLEASE not turn this into a gender war? Pretty please?

Gamiel likes this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  3. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Fans reactions on the web about the video Star Wars Poetry:

4. Jedi-Gambino

Jedi-Gambino Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2015

I LOVE THAT! [face_love] Great video! Just look at how genuinely happy it makes those two, thats what the PT bashers could not and cannot ever destroy despite how hard they seem to still try.

Great thread!

I have 3 excellent links to contribute:

On how Lucas planned the PT themes to be part of the Saga since 77: http://whatculture.com/film/8-star-wars-prequel-moments-george-lucas-planned-way-back-1977.php

On Ring Theory and how underrated it is: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/did-george-lucas-change-cinema-with-star-wars-prequels/

Pages worth of excellent Ring Theory type Mirroring: http://starwarsverses.tumblr.com/page/4

5. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

The author of the aforementioned article kept hinting every now and then of plotholes. But he or she never really bothered to point them out. And I found myself growing increasingly frustrated by his or her comments.

I also had some disagreements with the author of the L.A. TIMES article.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Jedi-Gambino

Sep 14, 2015

I think its cuz the author was trying to highlight how wrong the PT hateboys are when they try to act like the Saga is full of plot holes when in actuality there are almost none.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Saw this on Facebook.

8. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    IGN posted this click bait reaction on Facebook. Anyway the first comment was, "I ain't even mad, I enjoyed him in star wars" and it now has 1,720 likes. :anakin:

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Please be careful, do not want to incite more unnecessary fights.

People who don't like the Prequels have every right that people who love them have. But neither side have the right to bully the other, so just be mindful.

Dandelo, MarcJordan and mes520 like this.
  10. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012

All I know is TFA has to fail financially and critically so Star Wars can be saved. Then we shall have peace.

[​IMG]

Seriously though, I agree with everything that post said. No matter how hateful some will be towards the prequel and the fans of prequels, we must maintain our positive mindset. Let's keep that positivity spreading as much as we can and try to have a civil discussion about all Star Wars, even with those who do not share our opinions.

I was pleasantly surprised by this too. :)

11. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Perhaps it's me but even if I hated the prequels, I'll try to find more productive and happier things to do. However, if one wants to complain about the PT's, that's upto them...maybe it makes them happy. [face_thinking] :p

MJ

12. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

I've read this article a couple of days article, but I still wanted to say that it was a great read! Really good job!

I think that the most interesting part is when you've mentioned this:

Indeed, there's something that has always stayed on my mind from my courses of philosophy when I was at school. It is that we are always, somehow "enslaved" by our desires and passions during our journey on Earth. The only way to be free is that when we are "joining God" after our death, a principle which predominates in every religions. We could also say that Anakin was also "enslaved" by his passion and love for both his mother and Padme since he was ready to sacrifice his own freedom to become a Sith and have power to save the ones he cares about. This is one of the reasons why the Jedi forbid attachment, as many religions on our real world do, and that freedom can only be achieved through the Force, or if we can call it this way "the Truth".

Andy Wylde, Jedi-Gambino and mes520 like this.
  13. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014

Which reminds me of this (WARNING: Some Language):

14. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  15. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I just read thus essay this morning. I agree with a lot of it, and disagree with a bit. I just rewatched Ep I yesterday (part of a grand saga rewatch in my build-up to Ep VII), and i was once again struck by the bits that are a really great, and the bit that are really.... well, not great. I actually really LIKE this movie except for two huge problems: Anakin and the Gungans (all of them, nut especially Jar-Jar). I actually really like just about every other bit. So frustrating. And I start Ep II today, and I know I'm gonna like a lot of it, but I know that I'm just gonna cringe at Hayden. I feel sorry for the guy... I think he was so miscast. But the essay highlighted a lot of the stuff I think some critics overlook. I did enjoy reading it.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  16. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  17. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

It's a great video and he has well explained things!

I also thought that the Jedi Order had many wrongs even if, symbolically, the Jedi represent good. But I rather think that the main reason why people don't understand the themes in the prequels is not mainly because they let themselves be distracted by their imperfections, but because people are too lazy to think. They prefer very simplistic things rather than using their minds and I think that's a shame because movies and books are also meant to get the reader or the viewer to think and grow intellectually.

Andy Wylde, Thoix Heoro and mes520 like this.
  18. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Pretty good video, although it seems to be more of the "Yeah, they've got a lot of problems, but it's not all bad." I about barfed at his (tired) Yes-man line.

19. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  20. Jedi-Gambino

Sep 14, 2015
    The guy in that first video apologized for over one whole min and 40 something seconds before he even started to get to the point while still apologizing. I then stopped watching.

You can say they were terrible and they ruined everything and your sorry for them all you want but that wont make it be true. All it will do is please the pretentious masochistic troll shut-ins in their safe secure echo chambers they like to live in before they are quickly hungry for more revisionist history for how the SW PT came out and was received.

All three episodes came out, rocked the world, smashed and re-set every Box office record there was and then did it all again over and over for their re-releases, IMAX releases, vhs and dvd releases and television ratings. They put all the other imitation Blockbuster films to shame money wise and otherwise. People LOVED them until insecure obsessives on internet chat boards picked them apart and tryed to tear them and Lucas's Legacy down because of how angry and jealous they are.

Honestly Kids must get so confused when they see and hear people talking like this about SW and its creator. They grew up on Episodes 1,2 & 3 and The Clone Wars television show. Thats what they grew up with. Yet some people just dont care. They dont want to think of kids and how they accept the Official Saga by George Lucas. Thats why Kylo Ren was created. Because its to the point where its sad and rather frighting that a loud minority focused on what they are insecure about really did do this to a franchise and its fans that...as can be seen in that video...are forced...to try soooo hard to simply defend their six world famous films that I cant watch the rest of the video. The whole video is apologetically catering to the OBSESSION of a small vocal minority fixated on covering up and hideing 3 of George Lucas's films. Plain and simple. I also find it funny that among all this the hateful fans are the ones who ended up getting their precious Expanded Universe officially done away with by Lucasfilm.

21. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    More fan's reaction to the "Star Wars Poetry" video. This one may not be entirely positive but he does say at the end: "I might watch the prequels in a better light":

This one is more positive:

22. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Just found this thread. I had seen most of these but many were new links to great articles and blogs! I think I am finally old enough (yes I grew up with the OT and saw the prequels in my 20's) to really not care what people think of my tastes. I've always enjoyed the prequels on my own personal level and that is good enough for me. I don't ever feel the need to defend my tastes or rip apart those who think differently than I do, but I really do like reading and seeing well thought out commentary of like-minded fans of all the Star Wars films.

As much as I don't care to defend myself or my love for the ENTIRE saga, it is nice to know there are pockets of the Internet not clouded by the usual vitriol. I don't mind people not liking the same things I do, but to keep on about it over a decade later is a tad too much. I'm always amazed when some people use every opportunity when Star Wars comes up online or in conversation to make sure everyone knows "It's the OT or NOTHING for me!" and I really wonder why some people make it their personal crusade to do so.

The most interesting part of my own Star Wars fandom journey has been watching my son (who is now 6) accept all the films as one big story and now seeing younger fans who grew up with the Prequels come out to defend THEIR childhood memories. It brings a single tear to this old Star Wars fan's eye. Well, if I wasn't too busy being all manly and stuff!

*sniff*

23. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I just found a really great dissertation on the virtues of the Prequels and why the haters just need to stop complaining.

WAZZER, Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why are people associating the 'poetry' video with the ring theory? They are two different things. The video is "just" showing parallels that most people can (and have) picked up. It's well done and convenient to show to people but only those who see the movies on a very superficial level were completely oblivious to the existence of direct links/arcs/motifs/themes/shots between the trilogies.

The ring theory is not about mere parallels. It's about a specific structure of those parallels within the movies.

25. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000