main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    The PT isn't going to be remade because we have PT stuff creeping in like Bail Organa's actor from those reprising his role here and with Ewan McGregor all but certainly coming back as a physical presence in one way or another too.

2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    ^Yup. The dream for those wishing for the PT to go away should be dying away at this point. And with Rian being a fan of the overall arc (fear of loss leading to facism), it's pretty clear that PT detractors aren't running the show over there at Lucasfilm.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It's completely a hater's fantasy. Anyone working at Lucasfilm knows that doing so would be disrespectful to Lucas.

4. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Completely agreed. In fact, both the PT and the OT are very similar in terms of tone and style (most of the differences come from the way things look due to the differences in film-making technology); with some very dark lows and very lighthearted highs. In fact, Episode III is still the darkest & even hellish at times, but mainstream media makes it seem like the whole PT is 7 hours Jar Jar slapstick. Even Episode II is far removed from that, apart from some of the 3PO scenes in the factory and battle arena (and it alludes to the 3PO scenes in Episode V).

5. SkooterDawg

SkooterDawg Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2016
    Totally agree. AOTC has executions (almost), big battles with a lot of death, beheading, dismemberment, assassination, drinking and drug use, killing of innocent Tusken raiders- it's a far cry from the Jar Jar world that many claim the prrequels to be, and is not just a kids' film (even though I watched them and still watch them as such).

6. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    [​IMG]

Roger Christian was the second unit director on ROTJ and TPM, by the way.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    What I love about AOTC is I subconsciously think it was the first PG-13 SW film. Even to this day, it shocks me it got away with a PG rating while today, Captain America can throw a shield at a bad guy and that's automatic PG-13.

It's also the first SW film to have that millenial feel. TPM, while it is imo the most visually stunning of all 7 saga films, has a 1999 feel to it. (Maybe cause it was shot on film?) But AOTC always gives me a "Holy ****! This is the first 2000s SW film! Amazing!" ROTS did it better as ROTS looks better overall but AOTC will always be the first real dark SW film to me.

8. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
  9. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    So, is Rian making a kids movie or a SW movie?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    LOL @ movieweb: "We've got one good prequel movie." Little do they know that people were saying the same thing in 2005...

-Jedi Joe-, Tonyg and Deliveranze like this.
  11. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    That article is so terrible.......

"Even the most confident defender of the movies still cringes when Jar Jar Binks makes his way on screen."

"Granted, that can't possibly fix the actual problems that exist in movies like Star Wars: The Phantom Menace"

"George Lucas' Star Wars prequels may be the stain on a galaxy far, far away that many fans try their best to forget about, but we do have one good prequel movie now in the form of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"

It's just incredible that this crap continues to be a part of EVERY article on star wars. It's like every writer needs to get shots in to retain their "cred"

12. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    JoshieHewls, TheDutchman: the people who are writing those articles probably can't come up with anything original, so they just regurgitate popular internet geek opinion.

Let's just not forget that articles like that don't really belong in this thread. They hardly make anyone's day. To say that the prequels are "a stain" is such pretentious BS that I literally can't even ... The nerve to write that.

13. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

My mistake... It's just that Roger Christian's tweet mentioned this article so I only put the direct link to it without any malicious intent. I should have just posted Rian Johnson's tweet instead...

14. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Just to chime in on the whole "how kid friendly is Star Wars?" thing, I think we can safely sum up its always has some ****ed up stuff as seen here:
    [​IMG]

Then in episode 3 you see a guy get burned to a crisp. Needless to say, both trilogies have their fair share of graphic violence, not much but its there.

15. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Whenever someone complains about the prequels being childish, I present them with a picture of Anakin burning alive.

16. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    ...and in 2002, and in 1999...

17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    And they'll say the same thing in 2018 with the Han Solo film. :p

-Jedi Joe-, jimkenobi, mes520 and 2 others like this.
  18. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
  19. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

Regarding complains about prequel movies, I already hear some people complaining about Rogue One...

mes520 and Deliveranze like this.
  20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Not liking this picture here despite the joke. I understand the Prequels don't seem socially loved but using this creates a sense of immaturity like you saw with many other social media users attempting the joke. Though there are a loud vocal of haters, I don't fly with this kind of stuff due to it also making it out that the fans are whiny.

21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Complaints are more now because the nostalgia is starting to wear off.

22. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I agree with what you said. But PT detractors were doing far worst things on the other side, like selling T-shorts in which it was written: "George Lucas raped my childhood."

I find the picture from Mike Klimo funny because it was unexpected. But I guess that after nearly 20 years of immaturity from a loud part of the fandom, this kind of stuff coming from another part of the fandom which has been alienated after having been said stuff like "You're a retarded if you like these movies. You're not a true Star Wars fan. You don't know anything about movies. etc.", should be expected.

And I'm not saying that PT fans or Saga fans should be at the same level of PT detractors, or do things worst than them. But what this picture shows is that the nearly 20 years of complaining against Lucas and the PT has really gone beyond reasoning...

Mark Pierre and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  23. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

Well, to say the truth, I really liked Rogue One. I'm planning to write a review of the movie once I'll have the time and the chance to see it a second time.

Personally, I find it more ambitious and spectacular than The Force Awakens was, while having a story that matters more to the saga, especially the original saga from Lucas (Episodes I-VI) that what has been introduced so far in the ST. It really felt that the universe was wider than what they have done with TFA. Granted, some characters' development are lacking, but it's only one movie and a complete story told in 2 hours, with characters we do not find in any other Star Wars movies. Some people say it's lacking some "substance" and "soul". Maybe... But we could say the same thing about all the other expanded universe stories and materials which has little to do with the main saga...

Torib and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  24. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    OMG YES
    I've got to get me one of these.

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Except that disrespecting Lucas has been the entire marketing strategy of Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams and their goons.