main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'd say they've been too reverent.

2. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Not to mention patting themselves on the back for doing things that Lucas did first.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

How in the holy hell would you say that, I wonder?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010

These aren't pro prequel articles but the videos feature an author who felt that the mustafar finale of ROTS was "the greatest work of art in the last 30 years".

http://fangirlblog.com/interviews/camille-paglia/

this interview with camille also extends on some of the things she talked about in that video, even commenting on the disney purchase.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I have always liked Camille Paglia's views on ROTS.

Tonyg likes this.
  6. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    fixed

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Primarily all of the Easter eggs and cameos that have permeated through both TFA and R1. Most of what has been new about both films has been baby steps, whereas we've been accustomed to Lucas making major leaps in expanding his universe and story with each new film from 1977-2005. Thus far, both TFA and R1 have been more familiar than original.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, in that sense I can see what you're talking about. But when it comes to talking about the man himself and his personal accomplishments, they haven't been very respectful at all.

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Easter eggs like removing connections to the podraces in TPM at Maz's castle in TFA for no reason? Yeah, soooooo respectful!

SuperPersch likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They mentioned the Sith so there is that.

Davak24 likes this.
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Another ScreenRant one.

One of those that for them is complimentary though of course they have to do the contractually obligated shot at the start:

Few movies are more maligned by their fanbase than the Star Wars prequels. Widely viewed as a major disappointment, many die-hards are happy pretending they don’t even exist, especially now we have exciting new movies coming out once a year.

Once they get that nonsense out of the way it's fairly positive for them like some of the others they have done:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-iconic-things-moments-came-from-prequels/

I do like this one:

One of the biggest, and definitely most pervasive criticisms of The Force Awakens was that it repeated many of the broad plot beats from A New Hope and the wider original trilogy, right down to the finale being a rushed attempt to blow up another planet-destroying space station.

A big defence of this, however, could be that Star Wars “is like poetry – it rhymes”. George Lucas’ statement of intent for the prequels has been mocked incessantly by followers of the Mr Plinkett reviews, but its simple existence shows that the idea of the story repeating or echoing across the franchise has been around since Episode I. Sure, the parallels are less blatant, with a rather different narrative, but in terms of broad events fitting in with the original’s structure, Lucas was doing it decades before J.J. Abrams; The Phantom Menace even ends with a rushed attempt to blow up a space station.

With this in mind (and putting aside that it was likely done in The Force Awakens more as part of Abrams love of homage), it does give the series and its individual trilogies a more defined overarching structure.

That it was done (not likely but certainly) as a homage to ANH is rather irrelevant as JJ knew that it would by the very nature of doing it that way would tie into the PT. On top of that all of the PT elements that were quoted on top of that whether it was meant to or not because it does.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Tonyg like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    "“[We] talked to George month after month about how we could make this real and believable,” Coleman said on the “Clones” Blu-ray commentary. “We felt if we got into the fight too quickly the audience would not be able to travel that distance from Yoda being an 800-year-old character to be able to go around with such speed and be nimble. So we talked to George about, what we called, ‘The Wizards' Battle’ and we added this into the sequence because I think it really helps us as an audience to travel with Yoda to find the inner strength and energy to fight this evil Jedi master, this Sith lord.”

So much for being surrounded by yes men.

14. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    What an irony. This is exactly how I feel about TFA.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  16. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I would simply add that there's still a huge difference between the copy, as the ones seen in TFA, and the reflection, as the ones in the PT...

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Obviously none of these people listened or watched or read anything to do with the PT because if they had then they would know this Yes Men mantra they chant to themselves then also has to apply to the OT as well.

In short it's total rubbish all round.

All short round for that matter too!

SW Saga Fan, rpeugh, Alexrd and 5 others like this.
  18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  19. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002

Yes, Its a canard. He had just as many yes and no men on the PT that he did on the OT. He had creative control on every movie except for Episode 4, and even on that Fox let him do most of what he wanted. Look at what he did on Episode 4. He followed two droids for what- 10 ,20 minutes? He used those scenes instead of all the scenes with Luke and Biggs. If he had done something like that today and people saw the deleted scene footage people would have gone crazy!!!!

Qui-Riv-Brid and Alexrd like this.
  20. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Damn! I will never see Episode IV the same way. I got bored watching only two droids walking and travelling inside a big tank! Lucas ruined my childhood! :p

jimkenobi likes this.
  21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I simply must get one of those House Organa's Prequel Haters' Tears mugs!

Cheers for the reminder, SW Saga Fan ! ;)

Deliveranze likes this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

By his own admission Lucas had tons of people begging him not to make Anakin a nine-year-old child in Episode I. He just didn't listen to them because, hey, they obviously didn't understand what kind of story he was trying to tell.

Alienware likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    And as very well documented many people didn't like Anakin's original turn at all. They wanted something more viseral as to why he would do it. IIRC at first Lucas was going to go ahead with his original versions but then did change his mind on how to do it though not to the one some suggested but as he explains on the commentary to hold it off and make Padme the issue.

Considering his willingness to listen and then decide to go ahead, change or amend it shows that he took the people he trusted into account on these major issues never mind all the things that in comparison are minor.

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    While not a full endorsement of the TPM, this article from Phil Sandifer (of TARDIS Eruditorum, a series I very much enjoy) is an interesting read from a non-fan:

http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog...y-named-trilogy-episode-i-the-phantom-menace/

Yes, he doesn't like Star Wars that much, it's not to his tastes and I can understand why (see his TE post on the original SW for background), but at least he tries to not let that get in the way of his analysis, and shows that he knows the criticism of it is overblown.

I'd also love to see some more un-ambiguously positive comments towards the PT, as his comment sections are usually bastions of intelligence.

I'm curious to see what people think of this.

Darthman92 likes this.
  25. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016