main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I wouldn't put too much stock into such a poll. This was shortly after the movie came out, which is in general the "honeymoon" period, where those who like it are still elated from the experience and things haven't settled down yet. For the same reason, most movies get an A on cinemascore, which obviously makes little sense. The early perception is generally either much better or much worse than the one you will get once things have settled down a bit. In the case of AOTC, you get good polls early on, then after a while the haters took over (easy thing to achieve, the general audience stops talking about something, the fans don't run around to tell everyone how great a movie is, so these people have all the space they need to slowly erode the perceived quality of the movie by constantly talking badly about it), and now things are slowly moving back towards a more balanced approach.

The poll is also severely lacking in proper options, but that's another matter ;)

Sith Lord 2015 and Tonyg like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

wobbits and Nanaki like this.
  3. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Riz Ahmed knows his history!^:)^:)

4. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017

This is nice and I loved his honesty. I feel he would fit in great with us PT fans.

5. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017

Its nice reading the You Tube comments and seeing people also defend Hayden Christensen the character of Anakin and the Prequels.

wobbits, Sith Lord 2015 and mes520 like this.
  6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    We really need to see more PT Clone War support from Disney. They really have been slacking on half of Georges story and only focusing on the OT Rebellion half. PT fans have spending money too, I guess they don't want it yet. It's good to see PT Clone War fans making their presence felt.

7. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Found this on Tumblr, but I thought it was pretty interesting in its own right...

source:http://keblava.tumblr.com/page/10

BTW if anybody was thinking of reading 'Dr Zhivago' Its defiantly worth it.:)

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It wasn't Lucas who asked Struzan to draw it the same way as Dr. Zhivago. In fact, he always let Struzan to do what he wanted. The idea to draw it like Dr. Zhivago came from some art director.

"For Drew [Struzan], this was the first time an art director got in the way of a design and concept for a Star Wars poster. George Lucas had always just left it to drew to conceive his posters for Star Wars. He, the “art director” decided he wanted the main characters to mimic the pose from the 1965 film Dr. Zhivago. Not unusual this was for an art director to make aesthetic decisions but it was the first time while working with Lucasfilm and George Lucas."

9. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Maybe the author of Timblr comment thinks so because he saw the similarities between both stories. Still, I vote for older stories that inspired both Dr.Zhivago and AOTC, as was discussed in many threads here. By the way, the towers of Varykino are definitely not Russian, they are Mediterranean type, much as the whole planet is.
    I commented in the thread of AOTC that the Padme refugee outfit is definitely inspired by the traditional Russian bride costume, if we should seek more Russian traces here.

P.S. But the name of the village, Varykino sounds like Russian. Maybe there is a story behind this, but generally Naboo has very Mediterranean scent that I really like.

10. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Varykino is the name of the Zhivago families' isolated country house in ''Dr Zhivago'. In that story it is the place where the hero, Yuri Zhivago and the heroine, Lara fall in love. In AOTC the isolated country house owned by the Naberrie family is also called Varykino, and as in 'Dr Zhivago' it is the place where the hero and heroine fall in love.

IMO Lucas' reference to Boris Pasternik's novel, or at least the 1967 film it inspired is pretty obvious.

P.S. You are correct in pointing out that Naboo's architecture was based on Mediterranean styles, as opposed to Russian. But I think the author of the Tumblr blog was simply looking for a thematic connection between the two films, as opposed to an architectural one.:)

Alexrd I didn't know that, but thanks.:)

MarcJordan and Tonyg like this.
  11. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Pasternak is still in my waiting list as I have preferences to other Russian authors of this age so I didn‘t know it, thank you for the information. :) But Varykino or maybe Varyakino (?) is Russian name indeed.
    Interesting that the name of the village is never mentioned in AOTC so I wonder if it is later inspired by this art poster as Alexrd explained.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm sure it wasn't a random request from the art director either. ;)

13. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017

Tumblr is a nice source for PT love. This person really took the time and made good points. I wish Tumblr had been around when the Prequels were out.

Mostly Handless and JEDI-RISING like this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    interesting and awesome. wonder if the book is as long as the movie :p

15. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    The copy I read must have been easily over 500 pages long (it's been a few years, so I can't remember the finer details), and it can be heavy-going at times, due to war, death, destruction ect.
    But its a good read nevertheless, and I would defiantly recommend it if you have the time.:)

16. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017

I suppose that it depends on how much one expects Star Wars to simultaneously be in different places. It's hard to know what Disney is thinking right now with the anthology films, i.e. if they'll stick to the OT-setup angle. But while the Clone Wars was great and I'm sad that it didn't completely finish, Star Wars usually seems to move in phases and we're in a new phase now.

17. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Unfortunalty there is a brief use of profanity toward the end. I don't agree with absolutely everything this guy says, but I think he makes some good points all the same.

18. zaphod67

zaphod67 Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2017

19. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    http://screenrant.com/star-wars-frank-oz-yoda-prequels-cgi/

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Mostly Handless and zaphod67 like this.
  21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

This is a bit over-dramatic in the beginning.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that Jenny would just keep ****posting without care and I'm sure she's loving all their "butthurt" as she would call it.

Other than that, tis was nice video.

22. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  23. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    In case some of you didn't know it or missed it, Hayden Christensen was back at Star Wars Celebration Orlando for the first time in 15 years (since Attack of the Clones was first released). The reaction from fans was explosive. You can watch him along Warwick, George Lucas and Ian McDiarmid talking about Revenge of the Sith at 21:34 :

You can also watch his interview with Andi Gutierrez. Apparently, all the tickets for Hayden giving autographs to fans were all sold out that the people organizing the celebration had to add other events:

wobbits, Tonyg, Nanaki and 5 others like this.
  24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    You know as someone who never was a big Hayden fan, this weirdly warms my heart.

After consist years of the internet trashing the guy, its nice to see he is truly appreciated among fandom.

zaphod67, SW Saga Fan and mes520 like this.
  25. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

The main and general lesson we should learn about this, especially after the result of the latest US presidential election (even if it's not Star Wars related but there's a link in my opinion), is that internet isn't real life.

It's better to have a good and constructive conversation and meeting real people, rather than fighting trolls in the internet and listening to false opinions and fake news spreading across it.