main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    What I find funny & interesting is many PT fans like myself used to be really annoyed by bashing from OT fans. Those same OT fans are bashing the new Disney movies left & right. Disney tricked OT fans just as I predicted & suddenly the PT is not as bad as it was once viewed. I must admit I have yet to see any of the new Disney Star Wars films, but a lot of the anger toward the 4 movies is not a shock to me, which is why I purposely stayed away. The PT Clone Wars era is my favorite and it all started with The Phantom Menace. I still feel there are many stories from that period to be told. I think the OT Rebellion era is interesting too & I like what was done with the Rebels series. People are seeing the PT as a positive and that's great.

2. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    David Stewart's comprehensive ROTS review is up. Lots of accolades.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Ooooooooo.... I've been waiting for this.

Will have a good watch over the weekend I think (too busy to give us my full attention before Saturday :( )

grd4 likes this.
  4. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    As one who believes ROTS to be every bit the artistic triumph as ANH and TESB, I find myself concurring with his appraisal. The thoughts left in the Youtube comments section are pleasantly effusive as well.

wobbits, G-FETT and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Finally got it watched.

WOW! Amazing review!!!!!! =D=

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Good review. Like him my opinion of ROTS has gotten much better with repeat viewings.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I always adored ROTS... Maybe I was ahead of the times! :D

wobbits likes this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I feel like it can take more than one viewing to fully appreciate everything that causes Anakin to make the choices that he does. Some people say this is a flaw of the movie, and I guess maybe that's valid, but I think it's also just a matter of it being a story that can only be understood if you're on a certain wavelength, and not everyone is automatically there. In The Making of ROTS I believe Lucas sort of admits this but feels confident that he's telling the story he wants to tell in the way he needs to tell it. A lot of people have suggestions about how to make the story more intuitive but the problem is they all seem to fundamentally alter the story being told into something Lucas wasn't interested in.

The story is that Anakin becomes so intensely selfish when it comes to holding on to the people he loves that he decides to throw away everything and commit horrible atrocities for which there is seemingly no atonement. He isn't tricked, and it isn't a case of the frog slowly boiling in hot water without noticing. He knows exactly what he's doing and he does it anyway, simply because his emotions are so strong.

I know when I first saw it I was around 13 and I did think Anakin's turn came a little suddenly and too full-tilt. But then I saw it again and really tried to understand things from Anakin's perspective and it clicked. I realized I was a lot like Anakin in many ways and the reason I didn't really understand him the first time I saw the movie is because I didn't want to admit that I was. I don't think I ever would have done the things Anakin did to save the people I cared about from dying, but then again I had never had the power to do so dangled in front of me by a dark wizard.

9. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    I was one of those fans (I even started a thread about it) as I went back and re-evaluated the PT after the SW Disney movies were released. While I still have some issues with the PT in terms of execution, I can't deny that the overall story is more ambitious and more rich then the ST. And let me say it is not even close. I used to post her during the PT days (I forgot my password after all those years) so I just signed up with a new username, and I have sought out PT fans that I used to argue with letting them know how I feel about the 1-6 story now.

I really don't hate the new Disney SW movies like others (there are people who vehemently hate TLJ), but the ST really opened to my eyes in terms of the storytelling between Disney and Lucas. There is no world building in the ST, no consistent theme, no character arcs, as I still don't know what the point is other to cash in on the return of Luke, Leia and Han. Everything in the PT is put there for a reason that jives with the OT, and I think Lucas deserves alot of credit for that as he was really trying to mold a narrative that works when you watch it 1-6. The 1-9 story now makes no sense, as 7-9 is at best an epilogue to the PT/OT.

Oryx-I, Tonyg, wobbits and 6 others like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    not an article but a twittering of note, John Tavares, big time hockey player just signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs

Tavares posted this image when he got signed

which is cute and all with the Leafs sheets but, also since this is a Star Wars message board, of note kid Tavares also had an N-1 Naboo Starfighter as well. So here's hoping his Leaf career turns out better than Lil Annie's Jedi Career. (Although he did equip himself okay in that N-1. Try spinning, Tavares, that's a good trick!)

Tonyg and ewoksimon like this.
  11. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    Notorious prequel-basher Simon Pegg, who was over the moon to be able to help save Star Wars by playing Unkar Plutt in a desert, (a real desert), had this to say more recently:

“I must admit, watching the last Star Wars film, the overriding feeling I got when I came out was, 'I miss George Lucas.' For all the complaining that I'd done about him in the prequels, there was something amazing about his imagination. I do feel like his voice is missing from the current ones.”

https://geektyrant.com/news/do-you-...ce-on-the-star-wars-franchise-simon-pegg-does

Oryx-I, Darthman92, HevyDevy and 2 others like this.
  12. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    double post

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    LOL it's crazy to see all this turn around when it seemed like everyone was shaking their fist at Lucas 3 years ago.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, I guess I can't knock him for finally coming around.

Not really. Lots of us predicted it pretty much the moment the sale was made, LOL.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    SW Saga Fan and Sab Jo like this.
  15. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    It's not so much that erstwhile critics have grown to enjoy the PT, but that they finally respect its place.

To put it another way, the most grating perception of Lucas--that of the hack empire-builder who churned out three more movies for the sake of money--is fading before our eyes, supplanted, correctly, by that of Lucas-as-auteur. Bear in mind, many still fancy him an addled or defective auteur--and that's an entirely different debate--but it's still preferable to the former.

Strange, isn't it, that this could be the saving grace of the Disney acquisition? That it wasn't so much Lucas's swan song, Revenge of the Sith, that bridged the two trilogies, but the departure of Lucas himself.

Tonyg, Deliveranze, Sab Jo and 2 others like this.
  16. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This as well. HelloGreedo was also known on Youtube for disliking the prequels and talking negatively time to time about them in the past:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Darthman92, Tonyg, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  17. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Im pleasantly surprised by his #5. That is one of the biggest and most common criticisms of the PT, and it is one I tend to get annoyed by.

Sab Jo and Tonyg like this.
  18. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    This article, while claiming a neutral stance, acknowledges that the tide of opinion may be turning:
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-prequel-trilogy-good-popular-underrated/

This one acknowledges the differences that may have defined a GL helmed ST, (although it is wrong about the direction Luke would've taken):
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-sequel-trilogy-george-lucas-disney-better/

This one shows how Luke's character arc wasn't an abominable curve ball from the mind of TLJ's director, but was already in place years before GL sold:
    https://amp.cinemablend.com/news/24...er-arc-was-planned-years-before-the-last-jedi

And finally this one brings out that C3PO's orgin, while somewhat changed, still had a major similarity to TPM:
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-anakin-built-c3po-george-lucas-1977/amp/

Deliveranze likes this.
  19. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This as well, though it opposes the PT & OT against the ST:

Alexrd and Sab Jo like this.
  20. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    Which is okay, they are different artists/visions/technique after all.

21. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    I agree. It has been a bit easier over the years to say I love the PT.

Sab Jo likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Eh, I'm the opposite. I mean, I unashamedly love TPM, but I loath AOTC and am indifferent to ROTS.

23. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    I don't always listen to or agree with Collider but one of them Marc Fernandez ranked the movies. He had ROTS at #1. I was happy but surprised. His #5 was a toss up between Clones and TPM. Great too see the PT ranked high.

24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That's not being complimentary to the PT though, which he's mercilessly bashed for years. It basically confirms what we already knew about Pegg. He likes the OT & only the OT & nothing but the OT.

25. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    I'd say for him that's pretty big, to say something nice about GL's work INCLUDING the PT. And the way he worded it, even mentioning "all the complaining that I'd done" is definitely along the lines of backpedaling.

SW Saga Fan likes this.