main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I found similar acting in all six movies.

2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London posted this the other day on Twitter.

3. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    You Were the Chosen One

Subjects include:
    • The role of Jar Jar Binks​
    • Why was Anakin so young in Phantom Menace​
    • Star Wars Relationships​: They also say some positive things about Anakin and Padme.
    • Too much politics?​
    • The use of myth and religion and what was Lucas trying to do.​
    • Why do we appreciate the prequels?​

Jedi-Gambino likes this.
  4. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  5. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
  6. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    seems like i heard that before

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, I don't think that's really news. The rest of the interview with Ahmed Best is good, though.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Great article!

I may disagree with you on some things but I always thought you were one the most level headed PT fans here.

I'm also starting to have the same love for the PT I had as a kid all over again so its nice I'm not alone.

mes520 likes this.
  11. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

Thank you!

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    This isn't meant to be a pro-prequel article but it's so laughably bad you have to see it be believe it.

The attack is so brazen and ludicrous that they just totally undermine everything they talk about.

This article is also against the sequels as well!

http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2014/04/once-again-they-are-making-the-wrong-star-wars-movie/

The prequels were doomed to destroy our image of the great backstory from the start. And the amount of information told in the three movies could have been pressed into one. But the biggest problem with all of the prequels was the antagonist. Usually bad guys in a Star Wars film are easy to spot. They are in the huge ship chasing the little ship. They wearing the big black helmet or look like a gigantic slug and have people killed for enjoyment. And what is on the line is pretty clear. An evil Empire (we are told they are evil in the crawl but they show it as well) is so oppressive that they will blow up entire rebellious planets. Rebels want to bring them down. BOOM! This was easy to understand and allowed the action in the next three films to unfold in a clear way.
    Who were the bad guys in the prequels? What was on the line? A trade federation could lose its franchise? The planet Naboo couldn’t get groceries? Separatists wanted to break free of the Republic? What the hell was the Clone War even fought over?

Not pro but a great argument for them because of the person against them being so delusional.

13. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    I wonder if he/she actually watched the PT or is just going by what some say online. I mean even I could have some of those questions as a kid.

14. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    This statement is the furthest thing from the truth I've ever read when it comes to the Prequel Trilogy, you can't put Anakin's fall in one movie, you just can't. Now I've seen dumb things from Star Wars fans, but this is really taking the cake, I already feel that Anakin needed more characterization than what he got in the movies (there are two Clone Wars TV shows that help with that) , I still feel the novel of Revenge of the Sith is the quintessential version of that story, but really, one movie, really?!

Unpleasable fan much?!

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  16. SparklingRoyalty

SparklingRoyalty Jedi Padawan star 1

May 1, 2015
    Enjoying this thread. Thank you everyone for sharing these links and videos.

minnishe and mes520 like this.
  17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh this is not the first person to suggest one movie prequel. I've heard that refrain here and there for a decade.

18. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
  19. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I agree with this article, a lot of people had preconceived notions about how Anakin would be, Lucas flew in the face of those notions and despite his flawed dialogue writing, I find Anakin to be way more interesting than Luke as a character. I will say Hayden got the short end of the dialogue stick.

Prisic Duskleap and mes520 like this.
  20. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    A couple of weeks ago, I've found those videos from Youtube user Durendal1 in which he gives an excellent and objective retrospective of the PT. Unfortunately it's in french (I wish he could have put some subtitles in English but I do understand French).

He grew up with the PT and has discovered Star Wars through the PT when he was 11 years old with The Phantom Menace. At the beginning he talks about the problems of the PT but (for him at the least) there are nothing else than glitches and he says that the prequels aren't as bad and catastrophic as the internet says. Yes, there are some problems he admit it and we also have to admit it, but we are forgetting that the originals also had some problems. He concludes by saying that George Lucas is at the same time the solution and the problem of his saga. But with each new Star Wars movie released, he was always trying to do something new and something that has never been done previously. It could succeed or it could fail.

Also, he talks about this mirror between the prequels and the originals. For him:

Episode I <-> Episode IV
    Episode II <-> Episode V
    Episode III <-> Episode VI

Since he has taken many courses about films and cinema, Durendal1 has noticed that for Attack of the Clones Lucas has taken a lot of staging or examples of scenes from a movie made by a German producer and film maker Fritz Lang, M (or The cursed M), especially for the scene when Anakin goes to find his mother.

Here are the videos about his review for the PT in case some of you can understand french:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

You can also watch his review for the OT if you are interested:

Part 1:

Part 2:

mes520 and MarcJordan like this.
  21. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015
  22. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Destroy All Monsters: The "It's Not CGI" Lie

minnishe and Thoix Heoro like this.
  23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  24. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    This has been posted a lot, but I'm just not enthusiastic about it. I mean great, he's not being rude to anyone and at least he brings up positives, but he starts his piece with:

"It’s easy to hate on the Star Wars prequels, and you wouldn't be wrong to do so. When measured as the sum of their parts, they fall apart faster and harder than clone loyalty towards Jedi Masters post Order 66. Jar Jar is possibly one of the worst characters in movie history. The love story between Padmé Amidala and Anakin Skywalker is cringingly bad. Anakin’s decision to go from loving soon-to-be-father to younglings slayer is a bipolar pill that’s difficult to swallow.
    It's definitely not all bad, however. What follows is a collection of things that George Lucas got right in the prequel trilogy."

I don't know if he's only being apologetic or something, but I'm not particularly interested in what he thinks are the positives if he's so negative about such important parts of the movies. Maybe I'm too cynical, but these kind of articles always have a subtext of "yeah the prequels suck, but here are a dozen upsides."

And that just doesn't do it for me.

25. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Wars: Episode 7 -- The Force Awakens' Spoilers, Analysis: Why Marginalizing Prequels Is a Bad Move