main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Making Soccer Sensible again

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FatBurt, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Sensible Soccer was a great in Football Management sims of the 1990's.

It had fans in the millions and numerous contests to see who was the best player (Between friends at least).

The game was a legend of epic proportions which died an untimely death after SWOS in 1996/1997 when Sensible software failed to capitalise on it's success.

This has changed however.

Codemasters (Sensible Softwares publishers) have released details on

Sensible Soccer 2006

All Sensi fans can now rejoice in it's triumphant return.

It had better be good.

2. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Been looking forward to this for a long time. Sensi Soccer was by far the best footy game ever (IMHO). I must have killed at least half a dozen Amiga joysticks executing those impossible curling shots. Can't decide between PC or PS2 at this point though...

3. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    just checked out the screenshots...

...what the heck?

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The graphics are awful

Give me FIFA 06 or Pro Evo any day

5. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Sod the graphics.

If your more concerned about graphics over gameplay then you've something wrong.

The gameplay is main part of this. Red the interview with Jon Hare and he explains why the graphics have been done the way they have and you'll then know it's purely to allow for a fast (i.e faster than FIFA or ISS) game which is simple yet enjoyable to play.

Sensi is aimed to take computer football back to it's roots.

6. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    You guys are obviously too young to have enjoyed this game way back. The delight of sensi is not in the graphics but in the gameplay which was awesome and better than any football game before or since!

I hope the same applies to this new version!

It would be great if a copy of the original came with the new game, oh to hear that music again, dum, dum, dum, ta, da, dum dum, ta, da, dum, dum! etc!! [face_laugh]

7. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    You sods, I'm going to have to get the old Amiga out now! If it still works.

8. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    I'm a goal scoring superstar hero!

That was an inspired song! And Burty, Sensi wasn't football management sim, not until they added the management option in SWOS, and it wasn't excatly champo standard, but it was fun.

The game itself was fun. Playing it was fun. This was what it was all about, fun. Not ultra realism or EA tracks selector. Jesus, give me the orginal amiga sensi over FIFA anyday. I am dissappointed in Richie to even suggest FIFA, the last good FIFA was made in 96 on the megadrive and SNES. PES is brilliant but something completly different to sensi.

I am wary of the new sensi though, I recall an attempt in 2000 which my mate had, the graphic were 3D and it was dreadful. At least going with a similar style to the orginal gives it an indication that it could recapture some of the magic.

And who cares about graphics, only graphic whores! Yes, I like a pretty looking graphic as much as the next man, Black is currently asstounding me at the amount they have managed to push from the PS and Resi 4 is a beautiful game and made my jaw drop when I first played it, but these games have something more to them then just the graphics. They are actually fun to play. This is what games are about. That is why me and my friends still put Mario on more then most over games, simply and joyful. So you kids shut up about the the graphics looking crap and wait to actually play the game, or get the orginal (you can get one of them plug and play joypad things) and if I hear you moan about graphics again I will come round and vomit in your eyes.

9. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Stop sitting on the fence Ramble, tell us what you really think! :p

10. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005

Hurrah !![face_dancing]

I really hope they don't mess around with the format too much, the joy of Sensi Soccer was its simplicity (and yes its basic graphics) those fantastic diving headers where the player dived about 18 yards - pure gaming =P~

no step-overs, dummy shots, rendered faces. The greatest advance in gameplay/grahics was when the players head "dropped" when he got sent off [face_laugh] (let us not speak about Sensible Soccer 3D [face_shame_on_you])

Does anyone remember a demo game that came out around the same time as Sensible World of Soccer for the Amiga - it was a cross between Cannon Fodder & Sensi Soccer, England vs Germany with a hand-grenade for a ball which would bounce at strange angles & explode, normally ending up with games of 3 vs 4 ??

ah, those we the days, many many nights wasted in front of the Amiga instead of doing homework

In fact I think I've still got my Amiga emulator somewhere with SWOS on it [face_thinking]

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The interview with Jon Hare says he is keeping the game as simple as possible (limited buttons for pass and shoot etc...) they are incorporating a sprint feature but thats prety much the limit.

Otherwise they are looking to keep the same feel as the original Sensi.

And yes Sensi 3D should be consigned to the annals of gaming disasters.

12. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    as long as you can still do slide tackles and headers the cover about half the pitch i'll be happy

Fifa 96 was rubbish, all the players would move around of there own accord, now ISS deluxe on the snes is top quality football, not as good as sensi though

13. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    Stuey, I was talking in context of the fifa series, which has never really been that good. ISS Deluxe is one of the greatest football games ever, and of course has evolved into the now stunning PES series. I would destory anyone at ISSD

14. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    Is that a challenge?

I would own you at ISSD any day

for some reason I always played as Columbia, i think it was cos I liked the guy that looked like Carlos Valderama

15. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Wind turned up to maximum in your teams favour. Icy pitch, goalie scoring from his own penalty area. Egg cup winners. 3-5-2, isn't it? Jumpers for goalposts.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Sounds fun
    And with heads as that big you'd expect those players not to miss :p

17. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Kick Off 2 was better.

18. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    I was waiting for someone to post that! [face_laugh] [face_shame_on_you]

19. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    good news, a football game i actually liked (there are 3, sensible, kick off and world cup98)

though i doubt it will hold up the nostalgia of playing on an amiga with the 'clicking' of a quick shot :p

20. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    That is a challenge, the gauntlet is laid pansy face

21. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    yeah this game doesnt compare to pro evo5

nuff said

22. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Pro Evo5? That's a Jap performance car isn't it?

23. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.