Amph Malazan Book of the Fallen: Steven Erikson

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JEDI-SOLO, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Anyone else read this amazing series yet?

I am on book 3 right.

I don't have the time to post any info now but anyone who has read these books please discuss.
  2. barabel_humour Jedi Master

star 4
    I've just bought Gardens of the Moon, mostly to see what all the fuss is about (Excellence is always raving about them) so I have quite high expectations. I'll probably start reading it within the next week or so.
  3. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Be advised, the first book is more complex and harder to understand, and is not indicative of what the series as a whole is. The rest are written more "simpler" and far better. As soon as I finish this ridiculous idiocy of Elizabeth Hayden's Prophecy I will consumate Midnight Tides, his 5th book.

Warning!

Don't read the backcovers of future books. Major spoilers. I learned that the hard way, but Deadhouse Gates' ending might still bring tears anyway. Understand that events on book 1 continue in book 3, book 4 continues book 2.

And a word of advice for new readers: keep an open mind, and trust nothing you read. You never know when he will fool you into thinking something. Finish the 4th book and you'll understand why. Good luck!
  4. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    I have about 200 or so pgs left of Memories now.

With all the stuff that this guy writes in these books I would love to just be able to see his notes on this series.

I wonder how book 10 is going to end cause from the start of each book so far the end concludes on a way different note.

Excellence any idea when he is going to be done writing these books?
  5. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

The last 3 books will be outside the Malazan Empire, that much I know. The 5th book that I'm on is in an entirely new map, with a few familiar faces from book 4. For an average of 1000 pages per book, one a year is incredible, and 6/10th of the series is already out, five of them paperback. The sixth is due out in a few months.

Here's a Jan 06 interview, credit due to the interviewer.

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2006/01/new-steven-erikson-interview.html
  6. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow that was a great interview!

I was looking on amazon and saw that they have published novellas about Reesse, Broach that is neat, I will have to pick them up.

Also what do you mean that the next books are "outside" the Empire?
  7. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

I presume like book 5, it was in another empire, this one the Tiste Edur's.
  8. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
  9. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

You see, this is what happens when you abandon the herd, we forget the progenitor.

What happened to your colours? Old moderators seem to be dropping like flies all of a sudden. There's only a remnant left.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.