main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Male Twi`lek costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by odinsohn, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odinsohn

odinsohn Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2004
    Hi Folks!

I´m searching for anybody with a male Twi´lek costume. Just to see, how other costume makers made it.

I will start with my selfcreated Twi´lek character in a few weeks.

The Skin Colour is green, and i´m really thinking about a beard around the mouth. Ok, I know, Twi´leks are normally hairless. Maybe he´s half-twilek/half-human.

I know, what I want to do. But there´s still a question:

Why are Twi´lek men and women in the movies are so different?

Bone-Headpiece-Hat-thing only for girls, thats ok. But NO Eyebrows for men? Girls have normal teeth, and Bib and Orn Free Ta (the fat Senator from
    E 2 + 3) have sharp teeth like a ferengi. Bib has red Eyes and Orn has nearly a normal Eyecolor. Maybe Bib has a chemosis problem... :) And the Girls? Normal Eyes! Bib has these 2 ugly things under his adam´s apple. Like dried out grapes on a sprig. Orn has nothing. Maybe he´s too fat for that....

Ok. There are many animal species on earth with differences between male and female. And of course, Twi´lek Girls with sharp teeth, ugly things on the neck and chemosis eyes are not sexy....;-D

I´m not looking for ideas. My costume plans are ready. I decided to make the lekkus with tights, filled with cotton wool and a Latex skin over it. Lightweight and free to swing ...

I thought about using a Water Noodle or sometime similar, but I saw a female Twilek with this technic. She looked more like a weeping willow....

The pattern for my clothes is already done, too. With many pockets for a thermal detonator, a large gun, death sticks, etc... (If the Line for Episode III is too long...)

I´m looking for other male Twilek costume, ´cause they are so rare! There was NO other male Twilek Costume in my 2 week-internet-search.

I will post pictures of the Costume when I´m ready.

What do you think?

Greetings

odinsohn

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    The reason that female Twi'lek have "normal" teeth is that they file them down. (1) More asthetically (sp?) pleasing to male humans who were typically their slave owners and (2) less dangerous to the owners as well.
    In the Darkness comic, there are pics of Aayla Secura with pointed teeth. [face_shocked]

The difference in eye color is likely racial variation.

From what I've read, I would suggest putting some sort of weightier (like rice) material just in the very tips of the lekku to give them a little weight and to avoid that "fly away" look. ;)

3. odinsohn

odinsohn Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2004
    Hi Jade-Walker!

Thanks for your reply!

you wrote:

The reason that female Twi'lek have "normal" teeth is that they file them down. Ouch!!!
    (1) More asthetically (sp?) pleasing to male humans who were typically their slave owners and (2) less dangerous to the owners as well.
    In the Darkness comic, there are pics of Aayla Secura with pointed teeth.

The difference in eye color is likely racial variation. great! No contactlenses (my eyes are blue), more money for other silly things!

where did you get these informations?

From what I've read, I would suggest putting some sort of weightier (like rice) material just in the very tips of the lekku to give them a little weight and to avoid that "fly away" look. I decided to put a little steelball into the end of the Lekku

What do you think about a "hairy" Twi´lek? Just a little short beard around the mouth and (of course!) eyebrows. I´m not sure. Maybe it looks silly, hmmm?

4. purpledroid

purpledroid Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2004
    as far as hair on a twi'lek
    emphasis on "hairless" in fact females look to have eyebrows as do maybe males...but i'm not placing much faith in a twi'lek male running around the cosmos with a beard or mustache.
    call out the canon police but that is about the lump sum of it.

5. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm working on an Aayla Secura costume myself, so I've done some research and paid attention to threads on both costuming and lit threads.

There was a very interesting thread about Twi'lek ears on the lit boards a while back--why women have the bony/pointy ears and males have normal ears. The conclusion was that the ears of the females are surgically altered (or perhaps bound and shaped from an early age as was done with feet in the Chinese culture) or those were just ornamental caps.

The teeth, I learned about from the Young Jedi Knights series. There is a baddie character that was Oola's sister. She doesn't file her teeth just to be oppositional. ;)

And Aayla has eyebrows. Why can a male?
    Keep in mind that Bib Fortuna was a trator to his species. He sold his fellow Twi'leks into slavery. And he wasn't held in too high of regard. So perhaps he did weird things to his appearance to make himself stand apart. *shrugs*

Just one other bit of knowlege that I ran across. Lekku: They are very sensitive to touch and have a definite sensual connotation to them--hence the female Twi'lek appeal. But they also store memories. I found that last bit interesting. I just read it in the Darkness comic.

6. Jaareth

Jaareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    heh ya i read in short story i read somewhere i cant remember now..where a twi'lek bad guy in a lightaber fight got one of his lekku sliced off and it was literally a lobotomy lol. That must be why they are so protective of them heh heh

7. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    We've only seen 2 examples of male Twi'leks that I can recall. Bib Fortuna didn't have any facial hair or eyebrows. Can't recall what that fat Twi'lek senator had. But with only 2 canon examples, can we completely rule out facial hair for an entire species?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.