main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Mali] Bonjour, néocolonialisme Français. Mon amour.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    We should talk about that proposal for a new Australian flag...

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol

Really, Even? This is the stance you took on it? Funny -- most of the people I discussed the news with this morning were wondering why the heck there wasn't a request for an intervention sooner, esp. given that ECOWAS is dragging its heels.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    touche, my old enemy. touche, my old friend

Ender_Sai likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    PG , iirc the Tuaregs were driven at of the area at some point last year, I think around summer or so? That was when I first started hearing about the stuff going on in Mali, particularly with the destruction of tombs and things.

But I guess destruction of priceless cultural heritage is preferable to having some white people intervene, or something. [face_plain]

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, France is like a bunch of Indiana Joneses. That's why there are regularly interventions in civil wars based on the "It Belongs in a Museum!" doctrine (forget the Latin term).

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't see how France is worse than the Taliban. Better in a museum than in rubble.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There aren't, and there's the tragedy. It generally takes economic or political interests to get an intervention going. But whether or not France's motivations are genuine or not (and sure, cynicism is probably warranted), I still say that it's too little too late.

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    oh yes let's protect priceless cultural heritage from destruction

*is unironically nostalgic for the british imperial system*

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You have to admit that the British have a mixed legacy about that, though. While they certainly looted the majority of their stuff, it wasn't always taken from people who were using them. A lot of the artifacts they obtained were exposed to dangers and were essentially saved by British appropriation. Did they have this sort of charitable purpose in mind? Largely no. Were their practices consonant with what we'd do today? No -- we have a different view about cultural property these days, and from what little I know about archaeological practices in the Mediterranean basin these days, we prefer to keep stuff on-site (but can't always manage that).

Regardless, what they did still isn't as bad as wanton destruction.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    you've whitewashed the last bit considerably. they destroyed tons of information and defaced countless sites by moving stuff, often prising gems and statuary and frescoes out of the buildings they were embedded in. even cutting statues into pieces for transport and then losing some pieces in transit

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I did say at the beginning that they looted stuff. I didn't mean that as a compliment :p

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What about the implementing of extreme Shariah law that the rebels were doing in Timbuktu and Gao? Is that not worth an intervention?

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    No. It's an internal matter. "Extreme" laws are in place all over the world anyway, including countries with whom France and the United States are friendly.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm having trouble seeing the downside to the intervention, as military imperialism is essentially done with. It's not like France is going to set up a Leopold-esque state in Mali. The government of Mali, illegitimate though it may be, invited them in, and ECOWAS was planning an intervention of their own. The rebels were advancing into Central Mali which is why France jumped the gun, and considering what they're doing in Northern Mali, the rebels would have enacted more of the same in Bamako until the West African states were organized enough to intervene.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Well, Even, what do you think should happen?

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "Should"? The people of Mali should live under a relatively just, democratic government. They actually kind of did for quite a while there. But that isn't going to happen soon (oh, but the Malian military promised it would!)... so, just let them fight their civil war like we usually do for these things.

It is? Then why are there French bases in their former colonies (I can't seem to find a ****ing list or map but they're there)? Why do they intervene mostly in their (and Belgium's) former colonies? Do they just happen to have significant economic and political stakes in those countries?

Of course they're not going to set-up a "Leopold-esque" state. Besides the fact that the Congo Free State was a personal possession of the king and not a Belgian colony, it's much easier not to have overt dominion over a country. It's politically untenable, it's expensive, and you reap more rewards by just letting them have independence.

17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    The issue is that the civil war would probably not stay internal for long. If there was no French intervention, the rebels had a good chance of winning. And what then, would they have set up their own state and sat pretty? Or would they have tried to overthrow other North and West African states? Seems to me like it would be the latter.

But damn, the French are intervening in one of their former colonies, obviously worse than letting a bunch of armed extremists brutally oppress civilians who don't want them there.

According to the Economist, France's African military bases are in Senegal, Djibouti and Gabon. I personally don't have a problem with military bases abroad, provided of course that the people there want it and whether it's necessary or not. (Like I don't think it's necessary for the U.S. to have bases in Europe because of necessity, and Okinawa since the people there don't want it.

Anyway, what about the rest of it? You're really fine with Mali coming under extreme Shariah law if it means that the West doesn't send a few thousand troops in?

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not fine with a coup-established military government running things (which funnily enough is why the U.S. isn't openly conducting combat operations in support lol), I'm not fine with an extreme Islamist government, I'm not fine with the destruction of historical artifacts, I'm not fine with war, I'm not fine with France flexing its waning muscles in a hypocritical and cynical defense of its economic and political interests, I'm especially not fine with the continuation of Western meddling in Africa and I'm not fine with characterizing it as some sort of Defense of Freedom and the Treasures of Timbuktu. I'm not fine with any of it. It's more of the same and it doesn't look like anything's going to change. Sigh.

19. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The problem, Even, is that we don't live in an ideal world. Yeah, a free and happy Mali would be just awesome. But it's not -- so the question is, what to do? Are the French intervening because they feel responsible towards their former colonials or are they intervening because they want to push around their former colonies? Hard to say.

But my bottom line is that a French intervention is a better scenario than one without it. It's not the best, but it's better than the status quo. I guess I just have a realist view of int'l relations.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I know we don't live in "an ideal world." Hell, I'm not on the side that thinks France has an unquestionably righteous cause. I said what I thought would be ideal, but my "pragmatic" suggestion was to let the civil war between one awful rebel group and one slightly-less-awful-maybe regime play itself out. I hardly think that's some hippy dippy kumbaya ideal.

EDIT: Now if you'll excuse me, I'll cry in a corner and retreat to my happy place (Disneyland with fairly priced food).