main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends -Mama?s Song- written for the Speedwriters Association?s speed challenge (OC?s, short vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Meredith_Kenobi, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to Mr. George Lucas. I?m only fiddling around in his galaxy. I?m not making any money off of this or anything so?.don?t sue me!
    This was written for the Speedwriters Association'sspeed challenge which is as follows: Two people are running toward/from something
    use the words:
    fly
    dream
    yelled
    gemstone

you may not use:
    run
    toward
    from

Have you ever tried to write a fic without the word ?from?? ?Tis very difficult. *twitch* But I had fun with this challenge. I tried to post this earlier but the boards would not allow it. Either that or it was my computer. Either way, boards.theforce.net refused to load anything. [face_frustrated]
    I hope you like this. Thanks for reading! [:D]

My name is Zadoc. There?s nothing spectacular about me. I?m not particularly smart or kind. I?ve got light hair like my daddy, and blue eyes like my mama. My favorite food is kipple, my favorite color is yellow. I?m seven and a half years old. I?m three feet, ten and one half inches tall and my bedtime is at 2000 hours.

Do you know what it means when you have the same dream over? And over? And over? My brother tells me it?s happening because there?s something I need to work out in my life that my brain is mulling over while I sleep. My sister tells me I should stop eating so soon before bed. My daddy tells me to shut my gab; he?s trying to watch the HoloNet. My mama doesn?t tell me anything. She died of a tumor in her brain.

Last year when I was little, when I was only six, I didn?t understand what that meant. I would stand by her bed and ask her over and over again why she wouldn?t get up and play with me and help me with my lessons like she used to. She would tell me that she couldn?t because she was too sick. She would say this in that strange raspy voice so unlike my mama?s. I would start to cry and ask her where my mama was. She would say she was my mama. I never believed her. She didn?t look like my mama. Her eyes were too sunken, her body too thin, her voice too different. My mama was happy and plump with a deep voice and happy sparkly eyes that daddy used to say looked like two blue gemstones, but were far more precious. So when mama died, I didn?t think she was really gone. I would sit by the window waiting for her to come back, singing my mama?s favorite song. My mama had written it herself and had sung me to sleep with it when I was a baby:

Pretty music, in the mouths of younglings
    Sweetly, sweetly, so divine
    When I?m lonely all I need is music
    In the mouths of younglings mine

Sighing, crying, all I need is music
    Perfect, goodly, youngling mine
    Sing your love and I?ll return it
    Darling, sweetheart, youngling mine

I will sing you pretty lovely music
    Though mine can?t be as sweet as thine
    Mouths of babes speak truth and wisdom
    And music sweeter than any you?ll find

When I sang mama?s song it always made my daddy angry. He would hit me and yell at me to go to my room. I?ve always hated it when he yelled ? it makes him look scary. It always made him cry when I sang that song, too. I didn?t understand why. It was a pretty song, mama?s song. Mama was going to come back and be happy that I still remembered it.

But as I got older I slowly began to understand that mama was never coming back. I cried every night. But I never forgot mama?s song.

I sing it every night before I go to bed. And when I close my eyes to sleep, that?s when I have the dream.

I open my eyes. I?m out in the stars. Darkness surrounds me, but the stars are glittering and they make me happy. I?m usually scared of the dark, but not here.

I know in space you can?t breathe ? my brother told me that. That?s why on ships they always have special suits on board in case the ship get?s a hole in it. But in this space I can breathe.

I look to my right, and then to my left. My mama taught me right and left and I?m proud of myself for remembering.

That

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh wow. That was really quite heartbreaking and beautiful. An awesome repsonse to the challenge.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely beautiful! =D= What an amazing response to this difficult challenge! :D

4. NoemiTenshi

NoemiTenshi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    ... This was so sad [face_worried]
    You did a good job in capturing the feelings of loss and sadness... but in the end, there's a little bit of hope... that's good =D=

5. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Healer_Leona: [face_blush] Thank you!!!

VaderLVR64: [:D] Thanks very much!

NoemiTenshi: Hope is good, though it's kind of ironic that that hope means they will only meet again when Zadoc dies. :( Thank you for reading and reviewing!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.