main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Man to Man Coverage: Why?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by MasterJayofHeaven4c, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterJayofHeaven4c

MasterJayofHeaven4c Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Okay, I may be ignorant to this or something, but why did Yoda and Obi-Wan seperate to defeat the Sith? Why did they rush to defeat the Sith while they could have attacked Sidious and Vader individually? What do you guys think?

2. Violetsaber

Violetsaber Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Because it's more glorious that way.

Violetsaber

3. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    The Jedi are incompetent. This is a good example of that incompetence. :)

Kidding, of course. Yoda arrogance blinds him, and I don't think that he realizes that he would need Obi-Wan's help to defeat Sidious.

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    That's what Mace thought, look at what Sidious did to HIS back-up.

"Strong enough to fight this Darth Sidious, you are not"

- O_F

5. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Good point O_F, but watch out comparing Obi-Wan to Tiin, Kolar, and Fisto or you are going have Obi-Wan fanboys (you know who you are) all over you. [face_shhh]

6. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Of course, if Obiwan and Yoda confronted Palpatine together, there was always the possibility they might both be killed, then no more Jedi:(

7. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, it's kind of the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket. Same philosophy when they split up the twins.

8. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    ObiWan cannot be killed.

9. Violetsaber

Violetsaber Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Splitting up to each fight a different Sith Lord makes that even more likely. ;)

It makes no logical sense...they should have double-teamed Anakin and Sidious one by one. However, the legend has always been that Obi-Wan personally messed up Anakin, and the crazy fanboys wanted to see Yoda vs. Sidious one-on-one, so that's what happened.

It's just cooler that way.

Violetsaber

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  10. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    If you think about it, it nearly worked because Obi-Wan did what he was supposed to do and defeated Anakin but Yoda failed if Yoda had done what he was supposed to do then Sidiuos wouldn't have been able to save Anakin and the Sith would have been destroyed so Yoda is to blame for everything.

11. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Yoda knows Obi-Wan stands a chance against his former pupil, but not against the Sith Master. It's really that simple. AnaVaderkinbinkswhoever had become a great threat and needs to be stopped just as quickly as Palpatine, Obi's the only guy around capable of doing that while Yoda fights Sidious. Hence, they split up. It makes perfect sense to me.

- O_F

12. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Neither can Yoda!

I'm not following you Dugs [face_thinking]

I mean, plot wise, we know that Yoda and Obi-Wan have to escape to the OT...oh, I think I just got it...was that parody of Obi-fanboys?

Obi-Wan can only be killed by stabbing him in the heart with the ancient bone saber of Zumakalis.
    Or probably his head and lungs, too. Just stab him wherever, really.
    And the saber probably doesn't have to be bone.
    Yeah, really. Just anything sharp just lyin' around the house.
    You could poke him with a pillow and kill him.

10 points extra credit for anyone who knows what I'm referencing here. Hey, look it could save your grade.

13. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Kidding, of course. Yoda arrogance blinds him, and I don't think that he realizes that he would need Obi-Wan's help to defeat Sidious.

I agree. Yoda should have taken Obi-Wan along to face Sids. There was no real hurry to confront Anakin. Obi-Wan, unlike Mace and company, has had experience fighting the Sith.

14. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    exactly

15. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I'm not following you Dugs

I mean, plot wise, we know that Yoda and Obi-Wan have to escape to the OT...oh, I think I just got it...was that parody of Obi-fanboys?

[face_laugh] Yes. i was inspired at the Fanboys post. Thought I'd kick things off.

16. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Agreed! Oh, and that ^ made me laugh out loud! Which does'nt happen that often... well not reading JC threads anyway. [face_laugh] I'll probably inadvertently call him that from now on...

17. MithrandirVader

MithrandirVader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    First of all let me say that I'm a huge Obi-Wan fan. In fact, Yoda and Obi-Wan are my two favorite characters in the entire saga. But that being said, I still have to say that Obi-Wan stood absolutely no chance against Palpatine, and would have been killed very quickly had Yoda taken him with him. Now don't get me wrong, Obi-Wan is a great fighter, and I'm by no means one of these people who thinks that his many victories were because of luck. He earned those victories through his skills, particularly his skill with a lightsaber. However, Obi-Wan does have weaknesses, and his biggest one appears to be his ability to defend against combat Force skills. The most obvious example of this was Dooku taking him out so easily with that Force choke and throw move. When he goes up against opponents who primarily focus on lightsaber combat and put little or no emphasis on other combat Force skills (Maul, Greivous, and even Anakin) Obi-Wan kicks butt (of course it was a Force push that almost gave Maul the victory). But Dooku, the one opponent who has major skills in other combat Force powers, easily handles Obi-Wan.

This really seems to be his Achilles heal, and unfortunately for Obi-Wan it is Palpatine's specialty. I think both ROTS and ROTJ made it quite clear that Palpatine much prefers combat Force powers to lightsaber battle, and that he is quite proficient with them (much more so than Dooku for sure). So if Yoda took Obi-Wan with him, then I'm quite certain that he would lasted longer than Mace's posse, but the minute Palpatine lost the saber and started shooting lightning, throwing pods and maybe even throwing in a Force choke or throw, Obi-Wan would have been dead meat, and Yoda would have been no better off than he was without taking Kenobi. So I really think that Yoda made the right decision because if he had taken Obi-Wan the only change in outcome would be the Obi-Wan ending up dead.

In addition, I love the way the two seperate one-on-one duels played out on screen and definately think, entertainment wise, that this was the best way to do it [face_dancing]

18. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force

19. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    AWESOME! A+!

20. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Both the Master (Sidious) and the apprentice (Vader) had to be destroyed at the same time. If either had learned about the others demise, then the remaining Sith would go into hiding and start the cycle all over again. Lucas alludes to this in the ROTS DVD commentary (coupled with my own interpretation of what he said).

21. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think that somewhere in the Novel Yoda suggests that their combined strength might not be enough to kill Sidious, but apart "An opportunity we might create". Basically, I think Yoda by that time was feeling the living force guiding him. He may not have known why, but he felt it was the best thing to do.

Also, I hardly think that Anakin would have went into hiding if Sidious was killed. He would have went after Obi-Wan and Yoda with the intentions of taking over the Emporer role. "....and security to MY new Empire!"

Carnage

22. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Uhh, of course I only watch occasionaly so I know what my son is watching. [face_blush] Seriously, that show is weird.:eek:

23. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It had to be done quickly. It would be a good idea to unite and take out the stronger element, being Sidious, in a normal situation. However, Anakin had already proven to be a wrecking ball who went on an immediate rampage after turning evil. Plus, the Clones were quickly thinning out the Jedi ranks. They had to move on the Sith simultaneously, and by staying together they risk being killed in a Clone ambush.

24. ShadesofSiknas

ShadesofSiknas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002

Mace took along back up that were not strong enough to fight Sids and all they did was die quickly.I eckon had Obi Wan gone along it would have just meant him been killed in the crossfire between the other two.Look at how Dooku brushed him off while fighting Anikan

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hrm...come to think of it, Palps did say that Anakin was stronger than him. If they had fought in the office when Anakin first found out his true identity, I'm pretty sure Anakin would have a really good chance of winning. So if Obi-Wan could hold his own against Anakin, maybe he could have done okay against Sidious?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.