main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mandalorian Civil War (The Lawless)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ARC_RC-7567, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

She left because of what they did with Mandolre in the clone wars and a lot of fans just did not like her work.

2. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It's true that some fans didn't care for Traviss' characterization of the Jedi, but no author's work is ever universally beloved.

I think the heart of the matter (and what I imagine probably led to the parting of ways) centered on Karen's displeasure over the changes George Lucas made to the Mando culture in TCW (and her decision to publicly share her feelings on the subject).

Myself? I've read Traviss' SW works and rather enjoyed them. And while I may not agree wholeheartedly with her take on the Jedi, I am a big-time Fandalorian who adores Skirata and the Nulls, and who was generally quite happy with Karen's depiction of Mandalore and its people. So you can definitely count me among the fans of her work.

That said, in no way do I subscribe to the notion that 'Traviss, and Traviss alone,' can only write these characters well. As I said, why not let someone else give us their take on these great Mandos?

I'd L O V E to see a Mando-centered spin-off film (it could be glorious), but heck -- why not have Skirata and the Nulls appear in Rebels? I think Dave Filoni could probably do a terrific job of marrying Lucas' SW world-view with EU characters like the Nulls (while staying true to their roots). He's a big-time fan who is knowledgeable of these characters. I believe he'd make every effort to do right by them.

whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Karen is none other than Gall Trayvis...

More seriously, I never read her books but am ware through wookie of some of the controversy. .

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The wool tells us all.

6. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    I got a good laugh out of that :)
    Also Trebor Sabreon has Filoni ever mentioned anything related to the Nulls and putting them in TCW or Rebels? I'm sure he knows about them considering that he has mentioned reading Travis' books when they did the commentary about Delta Squad in Witches Of The Mist. I'm sure we will get them in some incarnation during Rebels since he was kind enough to put in Delta in The Clone Wars.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I looked through interviews today with finding this out in mind and sadly he has never mentioned them but he obviously knows about them.

8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I believe it's like Jedi Knight Fett says. Dave certainly knows about them (he's the type of fan who would be familiar with the Nulls, even if he didn't work at Lucasfilm) -- and I'd bet he is a fan of the characters/concept, too -- but no, there's been no specific mention made by Filoni of trying to work the Nulls into any of his shows, as far as I can recall.

But whether he'll try to put them in Rebels? I don't know. I'd like to think so, of course. But the guy is working, not just with the other folks making Rebels, but very much in concert with the entire Story Group. Through the SG, Disney/Lucasfilm are really trying to harmonize all of their works. moving forward. And whether the Nulls are ever seen again may depend on whether they fit into the collective vision for the overall, long-term narrative for the franchise.

Which is all a long-winded way of saying that, for all I know, it may not even be entirely up to Filoni.

I think it's safe to say that anyone appearing in Rebels will be put there, first and foremost, for the advancement of the story of the main characters (the crew of the Ghost), with constant attention paid to that overall plan for the franchise.

So, if the Nulls can be used to further these goals? Then sure, I get the feeling that Dave Filoni would do his best to get them into the series. He knows they are quite popular with a segment of the fan base, and one of the more endearing things about Dave is that he's so willing to try to do what he can for the fans, where he can.

Just like he did when he put Delta Squad into TCW (Which was awesome. I'll always be grateful for that gesture).

But if Kal Skirata and the Nulls cannot be used to further Kanan and Co.? Well, then their best bet to avoid being forever relegated to Legends status might be a mention in a canon novel, comic book or video game. That may be our best bet (even if, like you, I'd love to see them on-screen).

Let's keep our fingers crossed. :)

10. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    I can think of a few ways they could be helpful to the Ghost crew when they visit Mandalore-
    1. The Specters are often low on credits (some of the events in episodes have been pushed by need for supplies such as in Idiot's Array), Jaing set up a banking virus shortly after Order 66 that withdraws credits from trillions of accounts. Clan Skirata also probably has tons of old clone and verpine weaponry sitting around, so they could give some to the Specters.

2. In terms of character subplot development, Sabine mentions her parents were killed or taken by the Empire on Mandalore. Kal could have adopted her just like the many clones and others he adopted.

3. The Ghost crew is on Mandalore and is being chased by Death Watch (or the Imperials) and Clan Skirata saves them and agrees to help them fight of the Imperials or Death Watch.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I love it. :)

And I think something like number "3" is probably the most likely. During a Sabine-centered episode (which perhaps begins to dig into her past a bit more), the Ghost and its crew take to Mandalore, where, after meeting with heavy Imperial interference, they are aided by the Skiratas.

That would be awesome.

12. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    See it works out the same way Gregor was introduced into The Clone Wars as a clone commando :)

13. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Bric and El-es pretty much effectively eliminated Skirata's storyline, the rest was sealed by the new Mandalorian storyline created and outlined by Lucas and his team on TCW. If Skirata is to appear, a new storyline would be needed.

―Dave Filoni on the introduction of Mandalorians

―Series Director Dave Filoni, on casting Jon

Almec: master kenobi, mandalore's Violent past is behind us.
    All of our warriors were exiled To our moon, concordia.
    They died out years ago.

Kenobi: hmm.
    Are you certain? I recently encountered a man who Wore mandalorian armor, Jango fett.

Almec: Jango Fett was a common Bounty hunter.
    How he acquired that armor is Beyond me.

Kenobi:However, a separatist saboteur Attacked one of our Republic cruisers, A mandalorian saboteur.

Satine:No mandalorian would engage in Such violence.
    Not anymore.
    Where is this prisoner now?

Kenobi: he took his own life rather Than submit to questioning.
    I know these commandos fought in Many wars, often against The jedi.

Satine: not everyone on mandalore Believes that our commitment to Peace is a sign of progress.
    There is a group that calls Itself death watch.
    I imagine these are the Renegades you're looking for.
    They idolize violence and the Warrior ways of the past.
    There are those among us, Certain officials who are Working to root out These criminals.
    It has been an Ongoing investigation.

Kenobi: how widespread is this Death watch movement?

Satine: it's hardly a movement.
    It's a small group of hooligans Who choose to vandalize public Places, nothing more.
    We shall soon have them In custody.
    We have tracked them down to our Moon, concordia.

-Dave Filoni

https://nl-nl.facebook.com/notes/da...as-many-as-could-be-that-is/10150751885427571[/quote]

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    Bric and El-es do not eliminate the need for Kal or the other Cuy'val Dar, they (Bric, El-es) trained regular clone troopers. Kal Skirata and the other 74 members of Cul'val Dar hired by Jango Fett trained clone commandos. Kal Skirata also adopted and trained the 6 Null ARC Troopers. What Filoni said about standard grunt clone troopers and their Mando culture is true, but the original 100 Alpha ARCs and the 6 Null ARCs as well as many of the clone commandos adopted a Mandalorian culture because they were trained by Mandalorians. Forgot to mention but, Jango trained the original 100 Alpha ARCs, once Jango died Alpha-17 trained the coming clone officers Rex, Cody,Gree, Bly basically any field serving clone commander. They technically have ARC training but are not ARCs. Alpha-17 also trained future ARC troopers not part of the original 100. Since those commanders and non original ARCs were trained by Alpha and not Jango Fett they would have picked up little to no Mando culture. Since we have never seen the training of ARCs or Clone Commandos we will never have a canon way of telling who trained to commandos and ARCs. Most of this is on the Wookiepdia page but is sadly just considered EU now :/

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I appreciate your passion towards EU characters, but outve all the seasons and up to the supposedly last season 8 which would lead into ROTS, there is nothing to support Skirata backstory into the true continuity of SW and for him to appear that late in the game is farfetched imaginary hope. But Bric and El-Les do indeed, as they are the master chiefs , as does the new Mandalorian canon of TCW. Read the last quote from Filoni. There is 0 evidence of Mandalorians training Clones or Clones identifying with their template Jango Fett's Mandalorian culture, Mandalorian heritage is even lost on Boba Fett, himself a clone, he's only interested in becoming a copy of his "dad". Bric and El-les train Clone cadets, ARC start out as cadets do they not?! Those individual Clone cadets or soldiers that show exceptional skills or are singled out for some great merit in combat are apparently recruited into the ARC's. And just because Filoni uses the same character or design plucked from the EU, it doesnt necessarily mean they'd receive the same backstory or bio, they're basically remade, rebooted, re-imagined and what not to fit into Lucas's continuity, and his own.

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I was a little disappointed that ARCs were just clones singled out for special promotions in TCW, instead of the elite of the elite with special advanced training... but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of Fives & Echo becoming ARCs.

17. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    Just because there is no evidence in TCW, doesn't mean it's not in the EU. Unless you only want to only recognize things that are canon (sorry if that comes off as rude). Also why is an appearance in TCW required for a place in the new continuity? They have the books to work off of if he was introduced in Rebels. Most normal clones do not identify with Mandalorians but there are small links to their culture. Boil of the 212th has a shriek hawk symbol on his helmet (aka Clan Vizsla mark). Captain Rex also has Jaig Eyes which are Mandalorian symbols awarded to soldiers for bravery and courage. Clone Commando Gregor also has a shriek hawk looking symbol on his armor.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

This it did penetrate there culture somewhat and all I want to see is a clone in Mando Armor. make it happen Filoni make it happen. [face_praying]

whostheBossk likes this.