main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Mandalorian leadership being decided by a fight...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Arapsis, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    At least that's how i remember it. It is a bit stupid. What if some dumb genetic experiment beats the current Mandalore? Would the mando's make him Mandalore? A better challenge would be some sort of war scenario played out in abandoned planet. Mandalore has to be a general too, not just warrior.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't think a genetic experiment counts. It has to be a challenge to fight, and a dumb experiment (your words) wouldn't be intelligent enough to become Mandalore. No, it would have to be someone Mandalore respected enough to accept the challenge from, I believe. If Mandalore deemed him unworthy, he'd just cap him. :p

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Its Mandalore, it pretty much is planet of stupid ideas anyway, were they clearly just never seem to have figured out not to take everything to the "EXTREM!" no matter in what direction.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The 'Battle Circle' seems to be the Mando way of settling any major dispute, not just for deciding leadership.

Not unlike the old 'Trial by Combat', IMHO.

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    very wrong... that which you described is Varl or whatever other world the Hutts took;)

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's quite stupid, but then the ancient Mandalorians were religious extremists who thought that the act of waging war was itself divine. To win against the reigning Mand'alor in personal combat was tantamount to being anointed by the gods. As Revanfan noted, though, for a Mandalorian to challenge the Mand'alor for leadership seemed to require a certain level of established prestige. Artus Lok, for instance, only challenged Mandalore the Lesser to a duel for the title after he earned a place of respect in the Mandalorian culture upon emerging victorious from the Great Hunt.

Contessa, pronker, RC-1991 and 5 others like this.
  7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Indeed. It isn't just any random Mando that can make a bid for leadership. He/she has got to be the best of the best, and in a culture that praises battle and warfare so highly, it makes perfect sense that anyone who leads the Mandalorians must be a great warrior.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  8. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    At least that makes a liitle bit more sense.

9. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah they can't even decide if their planet is a massive farmland or a huge city and whether they are pacifists or warriors

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And if a bidder doesn't have sufficient prestige, they run the risk of a schism. See; Darth Maul.

11. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    A valid point, but Maul is probably not the best example of it in action. The opposition to Maul stemmed from the fact that he wasn't Mandalorian at all, but a Sith Lord and outsider to the culture. His prestige alone was what won him his support, earned due to his role in masterminding the downfall of the New Mandalorians and his defeat of Pre Vizsla. If he had been a Mandalorian, Bo-Katan's objections would've been moot and he likely would have held the Death Watch's unanimous support.

A more appropriate example would probably be Jicoln Cadera, who tried to wrest the title from Mandalore the Vindicated and prompted the Crusader schism. Or the case of Pre Vizsla's kinsman, Tor Vizsla, who formed the Death Watch and started the Mandalorian Civil war after Jaster Mereel won out over him to be Mand'alor.

Contessa, pronker and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Pff, the Hutts at least figured to move beyond a thing that nearly got them all killed, the Mandos kind of seem to utterly miss the hint, even after getting beaten into the dirt at least 3 times because of it. :p

Though the major political schism at the time properly didn’t help, I mean the majority of the general population would hopefully at least want to vote on who becomes head of state or is everyone just going to accept Almec until he apparently gets kicked out by Spar, who’s “claim” seems rather random as well.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    All I know is that after reading this thread, I want to see the inevitable Hutt vs. Mando death match.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I would love to see a story involving Mandalorians being crushed to death by Hutts. That's one thing I'd actually be willing to give Denning money for.

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    noble mandalorian sacrifice.. dying below a Hutt till the Hutt is in top when the grenades go wild BOOOM

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Now, now, we have to establish a few things here, either they are both armed (in which case Hutt Battle Armour!, as well as Parella himself as he owns the only know copy) or both unarmed, in which case the Mando would simply be cheating with grenades. ;)

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    have you ever seen an unarmed Mandalorian? so armed it is! They'll crack the Hutts shells open or fry them alive inside with their flamethrowers! And Hutts hardly can catch Mandalorians with Jetpacks... *hoping he does not remember the one Hutt with a jetpack from Knight Errant comics*

But remember, no slaves assisting the Hutts!

;) bring it on!

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Very often actually, they have a tendency to get themselves enslaved. ;)

*hands him a copy of Tempest Feud so he can read up on the fancy stuff Parellas armour has*

Hutt Guards tend to not be slaves but contractors, as arming slaves is not a great idea.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Klatooinians might fall into the intermediate category- indentured.

20. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I think the way Mandalores are chosen makes sense for a culture that values strength. And winning over the Mandos by challenging a Mandalore isn't the only way to become the leader. A Mandalore can be appointed by a previous Mandalore, for example a commander of great prestige who is respected and followed by his or her peers. But obviously if a Mandalore proves to be unworthy of his title, then he or she risks losing support and open the door to challengers to the title. And that could be for anything from dishonourable actions, not being willing to fight, reckless tactics and other actions the Mandalorians look down upon.

Montross for example was claiming himself Mandalore but was opposed by everyone due to his part in killing Jaster Mereel, and instead the warriors elected Jango for the position. That wasn't decided by combat, but by actions. Montross proved himself unworthy of leadership and unworthy of being a Mandalorian. And in that case, there was an "election".

DarthJenari and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Sort of, it is apparently a rather complicated system, were the Klatooinian elders would "offer" the services of the young Klatooinians to Hutts in exchange for financial benefits for Klatooine as well as out of a sense of religious obligation. Unruly or "usless" ones would apparently be sent to work in mines or other unpleasant places, whilst the rest would be thought useful skills by their Hutt employers and often go on to serve the same Hutt for their whole life.

Which was apparently the way Santine became Mandalore.

Hansa likes this.
  22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    It's not slavery, it is just a lifelong undercover mission that is continued by the next generation... [face_batting]

well keep your gadgets... I use a Jawa Ionblaster and your fancy wearable toystore is turned instantly into a deathtrap ready to fry some slugs. or thinking of it... I have some Verpines build me an oversized slugthrower to throw some Hutts beyond the Rim :p

a Mandalorian is never unarmed, like Teras Käsi Masters never are etc. ;)

but a question: May I use D'haran as my weapon of choice? He hardly can be considered anything but a weapon anymore anyway, right?

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought that the New Mandalorians never used "Mandalore" as a title- with it only being the "True Mandalorians" that called their leaders that?

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Power Armour apparently comes with ionisation dampening, so at worst it might short it out for a short time before it just reboots, as seen on Clone and Stormtrooper gear.

So you want to compare slug throwers [face_thinking] http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Planechanga

Well short of strangling, it would still be insanely hard on anyone ;)

He is not Mandalorian. [face_not_talking]

Afaik we have sources that have named her as such and she pretty much for all intense and proposes is the Mandalore for the majority, though yeah she clearly did go by the title.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

ionisation dampening? well a second is all it takes to win ;) If a halfnaked princess can strangle a Hutt, a fully armored Mandalorian can for sure.