main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Has it ever been confirmed (Film canon-wise) that Jango is a Mandalorian?
    (I spotted my spelling mistake ;))
    Or that the armour is Mandalorian?
    Or has "Mandalorian" been in any of the films?

Just asking (I know the EU has made much of it)

I agree with your reasoning, but it's a rather cosmetic tie, no?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In ESB the armour is called "the armour of an evil group of warriors defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars"

In Marvel Star Wars- we see Mandalore (and at least two Mandalorians wearing that kind of armour- though those are good people).

But I'm not sure if the word is ever used on screen.

3. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

Thank you. However, from what you say there, the ESB thing has been stomped all over (in the movies) unless you count the Death Watch from the cartoon as canon.

I'm not saying I'd be against a load of Boba/Jango's, I'm just trying to justify it.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas seems to regard TCW as more canon, from his point of view, than the rest of the EU is- having had a much bigger role in writing it.

And the Death Watch don't have to be the only Mandalorians out there, either.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    TCW is pretty canon compared to everything except the movies, so if any references to Mandalorians does happen in the ST I would think it will be tied into that.

True Mandalorians seem a bit unlikely, especially given the Empire stripped Mandalore of all the Beskar (although someone could go and reclaim it)

6. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Iron_lord So you're saying there's more of the clone wars that we haven't seen? Especially regarding the Mandalorians? (because it is the armour of an evil group of warriors defeated by the Jedi during the clone wars)

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- there's comics, the miniseries, novels, and so forth. I could see the Jedi defeating the Death Watch, and this qualifying.

8. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

I get ya. I'm starting to understand why some people want Mandalorians, not necessarily agreeing, but understanding. thank you :)

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've been saying this for awhile! I'm pretty sure the warrior group mentioned in the ESB novelization is Death Watch. It would fit perfectly if the Jedi end up defeating Death Watch.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Given the need for troopers in SW movies, why not replace Clones and Storms with

[​IMG]

The Hellhammer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Exactly! We'll need some new troopers and Mandalorians seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Not that I recall but one sentence of exposition is enough to make the audience realize they are connected.

12. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Just out of curiosity to those who seem pretty focused on wanting to have Mandalorians who can fully take on a Jedi one on one, and kill them with what any seem to be feeling with ease, what evidence form the films would make this realistic within the universe established. Take out everything form the EU. Pretend it doesn't exist for a second. What evidence tells us it Mandalorians would be so capable. Are only examples are the Fetts and their main motto was "Look cool, but fight with incompetence". I'm really not opposed to having Jedi be killed by non force users if done well. The Mandalorians don't fit that mold within the context established by the films. They are just bad at it. The closest they came was having Jango seem to kill Obi-Wan. He didn't even bother to scout things out after the apparent explosion (Very poor quality in what is supposed to be the best Bounty Hunter in the galaxy)

13. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think Fett v. Kenobi on the Tipoca City landing platform gave us a pretty good taste of a Mando going toe-to-toe with a Jedi.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Not sure if I want to see that. It's a BIG universe...why do so many people want to see so much stuff recycled? I want to see all new additions to the universe. New bad guys, new races, new planets, new creatures, new ships, new weapons, etc. Sure I don't mind if they mix in SOME things from the other movies...but I want a new experience. Not a recycled one.

StoneRiver likes this.
  15. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Actually, Jango Fett did manage to kill one Jedi onscreen: Council Member Coleman Trebor.

DarthBoba and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Well, since we never got the big Mandalorian smackdown that everyone was expecting for the prequels, why not put them in the ST? Everyone thought they were going to be in Ep2 (we only got Jango), so maybe have them play a big part in Ep8.

17. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm still in for these guys:

[​IMG]

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Mandalorians could also be interesting to follow in some live action series or mini-series.
    10 or 20 episodes about some Mandalorian's rise to power, his naive idealism being eroded and corrupted by harsh realities of galactic war, the necessities of preserving his people and all that.
    Have a new Mandalorian Crusade or something - oh, and set it into the far future. 370 years after ROTJ, for example. You can do pretty much anything you want there.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That could just work, actually...

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    While I don't want a huge Mandalorian army in the ST I wouldn't be opposed to seeing someone else in the armor. Perhaps Boba Fett's son or daughter. We know because of ROTJ that he's quite the ladies man so there's set up for it. :p

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    EU fans might hate that (Boba is supposedly some deeply principled guy who even turned down Leia when offered her by Jabba because he felt sex outside marriage was wrong), but I would like it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    He felt sex outside marriage was wrong, or he felt rape was wrong?

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He defined it as sex outside of marriage in a book that doesn't really count anymore anyway :p

Edit: Also, just to point out-Boba and Jango by themselves fighting two of the deadliest Jedi in history aren't really a good indicator of Mandalorians vs. Jedi. I don't think your typical clonetrooper could kill an individual Jedi by himself in open combat either, and we all saw how ROTS ended :p

24. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    I'd like to see Mandalorians as the main goon type for the sequel trilogy for a couple of reasons.

1) They are recognisable to a lot of the movie going audience from Boba and Jango, so there is a short-hand that the film makers can use to establish that they are a credible threat but not as tough as Jedi.

2) They are established as being sufficiently credible that they avoid the jokes of the Stormtroopers being terrible shots and can be scary to our heroes.

I'd like them to rebuild from the ground up as a concept, drop the EU stuff for them and not obviously conflict with Clone Wars but not refer back to it.

Hansa and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Clone Wars is EU, and based what its Mandalorians are like on the EU which is what created them. They should remain true to what they are supposed to be, Star Wars Klingons or Spartans in Space (with armour) :p

Or as Boba has been portrayed in many ways, Space-Batman