main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mando'a class (Mandalorian language)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by KarenTraviss, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hand_Of_Mandalor

Hand_Of_Mandalor Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2007
    Sorry for the double post...but does anyone know how to perform the Dha Werda. I was hoping to do it with a few fellow Mando around my town.

2. Zandoran_Celix

Zandoran_Celix Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Ms. Traviss remembered one of our posters asking about doing a Dha Werda. Shes now going to work on choreographing one.

3. machievelli

machievelli Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2008
    I'm in. In fact my own fan fiction (And that I hope to sell) has been influenced by your work. I have been adding (In my own small way) to the language, is there a place to post these for review/approval yet?

4. Hand_Of_Mandalor

Hand_Of_Mandalor Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2007
    Vor entye, ner vod

5. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    HI! im new to these forums, but one of my favourite star wars groups/cults are the mandalorians. i have wanted to lern to speak mando'a for a whil, so im just wondering if there are any good sugtions of places and methods f learning to speak mando'a. any help would be appriated.:)

6. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Yes there is Ducks, in this link there's grammer/pronouncian stuff, huge lists of words & sound files. I think it's a good place to start. Also this very thread is full of Mando fans helping each other out to learn it all, so I'm sure the regular posters in here would be willing to help, as would the peoples that post in the EUC forum's "Oya Mando" fan club thread.

I have given a pass on trying to learn to speak/read mando'a cause apart from a very few cuss words I learned in Spanish & French classes in highschool, I totally failed those classes cause of my absolute inability to understand any language other than English, & American English at that. I'm sure it can be classified as a disability of some sort. I sit in slack-jawed amazement & awe of anyone that can fluently speak more than one language including my mother, who's Korean while my father is black American, that flips between English & Korean speaking everyday. More power to you Commander_Ducky for trying to learn mando'a & even more for those that know how to speak it, I is full of envy & all that!

7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Mando'a's not a real language, so learning it might be a bit difficult.

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Eh, it's not a GOOD constructed language - it's mostly a relexification of English, with a small handful of grammatical differences - but I think it's complete enough to call it a language, albeit a painfully sparse one at its current level of development.

9. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Yeah, I've browsed through the vocabulary list, and it's pretty much useless unless you want to talk about fighting, being British, or hating Jedi. :p

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Or cussing people out in general.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    How it works as a functional language I'm really not qualfied to say, but I think it works great as a Sci Fi language, adding depth to the Star Wars Universe in a way similar to the words of Jabba the Hutt in ROTJ.

There is still a long way to go before KT has words for everything, but its going to continue to come along at a good pace it seems.

As Tricky mentioned, come visit us here:

http://boards.theforce.net/eu_community/b10194/17962249/p60/?1488

Our weekly word list has fallen off a bit and some new blood might help:)

12. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    th tricky, and robimus, ill check that out!

13. trainwreck272

trainwreck272 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2008
    hey ive got a website running for mando'a lessons. although there is currently only one lesson, there will be more soon. it may look cheap because it was published on freewebs, but trust me its legit(I just didnt want to drop thirty bucks somewhere else)the link is here.

14. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Hand_Of_Mandalor - that would have been me, asking back in the day. :oops: If you were where I live, I'd give you soemthing to practice. [face_laugh]

Currently cobbling together a Mando'a teaching book.
    Guinea pigs welcome.[face_devil]

For teaching purposes this language certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Never heard of meta-language you Mando utreekove?:rolleyes:

15. Te_Alverde

Te_Alverde Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2009
    Su'cuy, nair vode!

I'm looking for a few words in Mando'a that translates to Basic equivalants. I have a Mando'a dictionary, but seeing as it is a language under construction, my copy doesn't have every word in existance and is lacking certain words I am looking to use. I was hoping that someone here, seeing as how a bunch of you appear to be fluent in this dialect, can be able to assist me. These words include, but are not limited to:
    "Hero"
    "Bomb(Bomber)"
    "Fierce"
    "Then"
    "(Fire)arms; Guns"

16. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Well, that's the thing. Americans generally go back to incest with mother[expletive deleted].

Britons, such as Ms. Traviss, can insult you without you even realizing (or realising) it.

17. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    That might be tough. Too many words don't have a translation yet. You might have to make an educated guess:) Find a similar word and substitute it or the like.

18. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Covered under "being British".

The UK has more ways to insult people living a town over than Eskimos have words for snow.

And she's always said it was partly to hide her swears ;)

19. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    I don't believe they have a word for "Hero", only survivor. I know there's a word for gun because I used it when I was playing about translating "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" into Mando'a back on the old KT NG. There's a word for "then" as well. Check the latest Mando'a Dictionary on KT's website, because I'm pretty sure a few of those are on there. You may have to search for "blaster" instead of "gun", but that should be there.

Remember; the language only started as a bit of fun and from Karen using words from the Vode An song from Rep Com and was something she played around with and has tinkered with over the years. She's also long said that there would be different dialects and such, and I doubt she'd care if you decided to make up some words for those words that aren't there if you felt like it. Just say it's a sub-dialect or something if you need to scratch your "canon" itch, because the language is really just a lark to present the culture and feel (and cover up swearing) of the Mandos.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Increasingly untrue, in my experience. :(

21. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    The death of culture, that's what that is. That is sad. The shear amount of regional slang and slagging that UK peeps indulge in was always great fun when I was over there. Sometimes all in fun except when the topic turned to football...then the serious insults came out ;)

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Who wears short shorts? Mandos wear short shorts!

23. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Took me a second to get that one. In that second, I formed a mental picture of Boba wearing really short armor. Thank you so much.

24. Dirk_Loechel

Dirk_Loechel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2009
    Yá To. Yatò. Ya-Tó.*

*This is a bit stretching it. While it does add alienness, a couple of the language samples of alien cultures in Star Wars make it very hard to believe this is a real language.

25. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    So you think it would be better if every single being in the Star Wars galaxy spoke english I guess. These fake languages go a long way for me.

It suprises me your being critical of Star Wars languages, they made the films work so much better, from Chewie to the Jawa's to Jabba the Ewoks and more. It doesn't need to be real to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.