main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania "Manhood" by Steve Biddulph: serious discussion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    This subject probably has come up at some time in the past, but I thought I might raise it. I've had this book for quite some time now, and I've learned a lot from it, but my conscience has been telling me that I can't just leave things there. The issues it raises are becoming more important to me as time goes on, and I think it needs to be talked about.

This thread is aimed predominantly at men. Or males, I should say. Women are certainly welcome to the discussion, but I'm talking to the guys out there. If you've read "Manhood", you'll know principally what the book's about--about the need for men overcome the emotional shutdown that we've had to endure over the years thanks to our parenting and the mentors that we've had...and in the first instance, the emotionally dysfunctional father-son relationships we've dealt with.

So as the first question, I'm putting a call out: who's read the book, and is willing to talk about the things that are raised within it? This will probably take courage, given these boards are semi-public, but as our world gets faster and people become less important than things as the days go by, we need to talk about the things that come up in this book.

And if you haven't read the book, and you're a male, then read it. Not because it gets you entry to this thread (it doesn't), but because it's one of the most important books an Australian man of any age will ever read.

2. DarthTyneJedi

DarthTyneJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2006
    I know that book of him for having Happy boys.. I gues this could be written in same manner..

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Manhood, I think, is the earlier work. It addresses men's own feelings rather than raising boys as such. Both probably address the same important themes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.