main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mankind Being Exterminated, Time to Kick Some Butt: The Halo 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Miin_Bodenna, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I just got to the Arbiter level last night. I liked playing as him, also. They really improved those Banshee ship controls!

Only complaint about when you use the sword, it's hard to see that target turn red.

2. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Man whatever, you don't even need it for the sword. Just aim and click. It is sick against the flood.

3. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    You said cliffhanger endings was no-no for video games, I think because of the cliffhanger ending even more people will buy Halo 3. I thought the ending was alright.

And can someone tell me how to black out spoilers so I can talk about the end.

4. Mc-Lan

Mc-Lan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2003
    Ok what is the graveminder? (Besides a gaint plant monster) What is his purpose? Is he a flood? Who's side is he on? I thought he was helping us but then I heard something about him betraying us.

I kind of didn't get his part of the story line.

And whaqt were his exact words after the credits? (I couldn't understand him) And how and why the heck is he/did he get on High Charioty?

And what happened to all the stuff that was in the trailers? I thought it was supposed to be mostly on earth instead of Halo.

And I'm pretty sure Cortana said the mane of Truth's ship somewhere. Anyone know if it's called the Ark?

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

5. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    SPOILERS!!!!

1st Question:

The Gravemind is the leader of the Flood, so to speak. The Flood's parent if you would say so. He doesn't want the Rings to be activated because he would die. The Master Cheif doesn't want the Rings activated either. The Arbiter finds out the truth about Halo (it is a weapon used to contain the Flood, instead of a relegious artifact.) So the Arbiter doesn't want Halo activated either. The Gravemind then says something along the lines of "We were brought together as foes, but this ring will make us brothers." As in they are united in their common goal to prevent the activation of Halo. The Gravemind sends the Master Cheif and the Arbiter to find the Sacred Icon. But later on in the game, the Gravemind betrays Master Chief. And the Gravemind is not on High Charity, he is on Delta Halo. Cortana has acess to the entire Covenant Battlenet across the whole galaxy, so she can go any where she wants.

2nd Question:
    From what I understood, the Ark is Earth, and the Prophet of Truth is going there to activate Halo.

3rd Question:
    I don't know what the Gravemind said at the end. Something about "I will ask and you will answer."

6. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    Has anyone beaten the game on Legendary yet? I want to know if there is a suprise ending or not. I have already tried and it is too hard.

7. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    I should be able to beat the final level on legendary tonight, so as long as it does not require you to beat every level on legendary to see a different ending..I'll let you know if anything different happens.

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Spoiler questions. I'm a Halo fan but I've never played Halo (I read the books :p ).

Why do some Covenant races decide to defect? I take it the leadership is corrupt or something? They're not trying to make the Covies sympathetic are they? They've murdered millions in the name of their holy war. [face_plain]

How do the Humans repulse the Covenant armada at Earth? From the early teaser it sounded like Earth's fleet was on its last legs.

Okay, what is on Earth that keeps the Covies from glassing it?

Who is this Prophet of Regret and what are his motives?

After the invasion of Earth, where does mankind counter attack? I've heard another Halo is one, but I've also heard Cortana helps to blow up a Covie city.

What is the Flood and Guilty Spark's role?

How exactly does the game end?

9. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    You do feel simpathetic for them. Espically the elites. It's because they are being declared inferior like grunts.

I think that almost everything from the novels is rubish anyways. Nearly everysingle character and event featured in them has never been in the game.

I get the impression that after playing Halo 2 that the war against the humans is a lot more casual then previously claimed by the novels. The novels also directly contradict Halo 2. They say that the covenant had found earth and knew it was our home planet. In halo 2, they find earth but do not know it has humans on it at all.

Nothing about the escape from Halo is mentioned at all either. All they said is that events are classified. It's almost as though the explanation in the novels isn't the same as in the hame.

So to review, everyone at reach is still "dead, dead dead!". The escape from Halo's ruins is classified and may never be revealed. You'll never see another spartan in the game. Dr.Hasley and Kelly's disapearence is not a major plot point. It will probably only be picked up on again in the fallacious Halo novels.

10. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    "I think that almost everything from the novels is rubish anyways. Nearly everysingle character and event featured in them has never been in the game."

Isn't that the point? Its an expansion to the game as well.

"I get the impression that after playing Halo 2 that the war against the humans is a lot more casual then previously claimed by the novels."

The Covies were annihilating mankind every chance they got. Regardless as to how, "they felt" about their war against the humans, the result was still genocide.

"The novels also directly contradict Halo 2. They say that the covenant had found earth and knew it was our home planet. In halo 2, they find earth but do not know it has humans on it at all."

IIRC from First Strike, they were looking for the Human home world AND their holy artifacts. They just didn't know they were one and the same.

"Nothing about the escape from Halo is mentioned at all either. All they said is that events are classified. It's almost as though the explanation in the novels isn't the same as in the hame."

Well duh, but they had to get off somehow. Since nothing is contradicted there's no reason to get mad about it.

"So to review, everyone at reach is still "dead, dead dead!".

Does the game say that or are you? [face_mischief]

"The escape from Halo's ruins is classified and may never be revealed."

Thus there's no reason NOT to accept the way the books describe.

"You'll never see another spartan in the game."

Which doesn't matter anyway as they are all are off doing different missions.

"Dr.Hasley and Kelly's disapearence is not a major plot point."

They are, and always have been a subplot. Why waste time in the game dealing with them?

"It will probably only be picked up on again in the fallacious Halo novels."

You're not an EU fan in general I assume. [face_mischief]

The novels also introduce characters and ideas that are expanded on in Halo 2.

Anyone want to answer my questions now? :p

11. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    IIRC from First Strike, they were looking for the Human home world AND their holy artifacts. They just didn't know they were one and the same.

What?! What you said didn't even make sense to me. If I caught what you said right, then they must have followed the trail to their artifact right to the exact same coordinates as the human home planet, and not realized that they had. This to me seems completley implausible.

The Covies were annihilating mankind every chance they got. Regardless as to how, "they felt" about their war against the humans, the result was still genocide.

Actually, besides Reach which is a military target, they killed no other colonies that I know of.

I believe the manual said no one besides the pillar of autumn escaped. It also said Master Chief is last of his kind.

"They are, and always have been a subplot. Why waste time in the game dealing with them? "

My point precisley. They are not featured at all because they aren't canon. They are all just characters that are conveinantly(mostly) placed outside of any normal continuity. In my opinion, the two storylines will never meet and the game will still makes sense without them completley.

Well duh, but they had to get off somehow. Since nothing is contradicted there's no reason to get mad about it.

It could also mean it was never meant to happen. The fact that the game developers chose those choice of words seemed to allude that it didn't happen. Had you ever gotten your noise out the damn book and seen that part you might have reached that conclusion by yourself.

I have encountered such fans that have yet to finish the game or even have own an xbox yet still call themselves fans because they read inaccurate depictions of the Halo universe.

12. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    You aren't going to change my mind without iron clad evidence, and yes, I am still a Halo fan. I'm not wasting any more time arguing.

Anyone know the answers to my question now? :p

13. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I don't know if it's me, but I can't finish the original Halo - the ending drives me crazy - driving through all those obstacles is just too hard.

But, I'm blowing through Halo 2. I don't know what it is, but I just blew the heck out of that one Arbiter level, and got back to Master Cheif's level.

I'm just laughing at all the things the marines say. I just find them so entertaining.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I got so used to dual-wielding plasma rifles that I forgot Covenant weapons aren't so great against Flood. Alas, the shotgun is always in annoying-short supply. At least the energy sword is sometimes around to rip apart those damn things.

15. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

Why do some Covenant races decide to defect? I take it the leadership is corrupt or something? They're not trying to make the Covies sympathetic are they? They've murdered millions in the name of their holy war.

The elites, grunts, and hunters were betrayed by the Prophets and Brutes. The Prophets and Brutes believe that Halo will lead them on the Great Journey. The Elites know the truth.

How do the Humans repulse the Covenant armada at Earth? From the early teaser it sounded like Earth's fleet was on its last legs.

The Covenant armada that invaded Earth was small because the Covenant didn't think that the Humans would be there.

Okay, what is on Earth that keeps the Covies from glassing it?

The Master Chief.

Who is this Prophet of Regret and what are his motives?

One of the leaders of the Covenant. He invades Earth searching for a religious artifact.

After the invasion of Earth, where does mankind counter attack? I've heard another Halo is one, but I've also heard Cortana helps to blow up a Covie city.

Delta Halo, High Charity ( the Covenant Holy City)

What is the Flood and Guilty Spark's role?

The Flood is released again, and Guilty Spark is trying to activate Halo.

How exactly does the game end?

A massive Covenant fleet is invading Earth. On board one of the Covenant ships is the Master Chief and he says he is finishing the fight.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The elites, grunts, and hunters were betrayed by the Prophets and Brutes. The Prophets and Brutes believe that Halo will lead them on the Great Journey.

I don't think so. I saw Drones, Hunters and Jackals fighting alongside Brutes constantly. Only the Elites and Grunts are rebelling(and I think the Grunts are only because they're fiercely loyal to the Elites).

17. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    SPOILERS!!!

Well yeah the Jackals and Drones are fighting alongside the Brutes. But it is the Brutes and Prophets that betrayed the Elites. Have you gotten to that part of the game yet? If you have you should know why.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I know why the Elites and Grunts are rebelling. I'm just saying that the other races(Hunters, Drones and Jackals) are still on the side of the Prophets.

19. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    Yeah, I know. Can you tell me how to black out words like you did in the post above me?

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Type (without the space) at the beginning of the spoilers and at the end. I've found that the text usually shows-up anyway, so type (without the space) at the beginning and at the end.

Sample:(assume spaces in markups aren't there)

Palpatine appears at the end of Halo 2!1

21. Mc-Lan

Mc-Lan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2003
    Why didn't they expect to find anyone on Earth?

And how did they find it? I thought it was a big secret from them.

Or were they looking for someting else that's on Earth (Like The Ark?)

Do we know where The Covenent landed on Earth or why? (I remember them saying it was at one spicific point.

And it says in the last level that Hunter are rebelling

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

22. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    In Halo One, That libray thing hacks into Master Cheif's computer, and finds out about Earth.

23. -The_Chosen_One-

-The_Chosen_One- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2004
    I beat the game, and I love the ending.

Now wait before you kill me for saying that.

All of my friends turned off their XBOX in agony after they beat it during the credit roll and neglected to watch what happens AFTER the credits. I just want to make sure everybody saw the extra snippet of ending there because it makes a huge difference in what is to come.

EDIT-yeah okay, I didn't se all the previous posts. Looks like everybody did see it.

SPOILERS!!!

3rd Question:
    I don't know what the Gravemind said at the end. Something about "I will ask and you will answer."

Yes, that's what Gravemind had said to Cortana, and she replied "what do you need to know?"

If Gravemind's betraying MC holds true throughout Halo 3, then we have 5 different oppositions all going at it, theoretically.

1-MC and the UNSC forces on Earth
    2-Gravemind and Cortana
    3-Prophet Truth with Brutes and Jackals and whatnot
    4-Remainder of Original Covenant (Elites, Jackals, the Arbiter)
    5-the FLOOD! dun dun dunnnnnn

24. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Just got this game yesterday and played it for like 3 hours or so. Fricken Amazing.

25. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    i hate the flood...

ooh, the forerunners good also be enemys...never know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.