main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mankind's Greatest Ongoing Adventure: Stargate SG-1 (and Origins) (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Feb 10, 2006.

1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Going way back to our Korelov vs Oddesy discussion. There is a big Stargate con going on in Vancover and Gateworld is full of interviews, reports, etc.

I liked a little blurb from their interview with Garry Chalk (Chekov). Even he doesn't know what is going on but uses the same logic I did.

"One thing I can say: 'Well, I can't die ... Shanks is right beside me!' ... Right?!" [face_laugh]

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Gotta tell him that "third time's the charm" when it comes to ascension ;)

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Yeah, it would be pretty stupid to save Daniel but have the Russian Colonel guy die.

4. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    He needs to do what Catherine Hicks did in Star Trek IV: A Whale of a Good Time and jump on Shank's back just as he's beamed out. Then he can just follow him around the rest of the episode making snide comments in Russian.

Thats good TV right there.

5. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    O'Neill returns for season 10.source

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I'm really looking forward to Wormhole Extreme the move :D

7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Cool. I was right.

According to TVShowsonDVD.com seasons 9 and 10 (as well as any future releases) will be in slim cases simlar to the Atlantis set. They did mention for people like Quest that like consistancy TV shows on DVD.com suggested to Sony that they offer packaging to make everything the same. Sony seemed open to the idea but no anouncement (obviously).

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, that article is fairly confusingly written- it seems to be implying that the existing sets are being reissued in the slim packs, as well as Seasons 9 & 10 being issued with them; with the website suggesting MGm either make the old style available for the new sets or the new style available for the old sets...

I hope it's the former- the slipcase for the amarays is more durable it seems than most slimdesigns.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah thats why I was trying to be vauge in how I presented it as well. I couldn't figure if they were talking about just making the slim ones availible for people who already bought the big ones or if they were talking about big ones being availible for 9 and 10.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Brad Wright on the secrets of success

Hidden away amongst an article about the economic boost to B.C. by the SG shows was this little tidbit...

But the exciting news is that a Stargate movie is still in the works. Wright and his writing team have written a screenplay for a feature film, which he hopes will be produced in the near future.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll pull off a "Stargate 2" for audiences who have only seen the first film, given that it's unlikely to have the heros, villians or situations of the first movie, shy Daniel and maybe Jack, both of whom are very different, hehe.

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Hmm. That is interesting [face_thinking]

I wonder what direction they are thinking about taking it in. The whole Lost City thing was at one point supposed to be the movie from what I'd heard.

It would be a hard sell as a sequel though. Maybe it will just be a Sci-Fi thing, where they already have the built in audience. Would be great to see it on the big screen though. :D

12. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    Another movie? That would be strange. I think the TV is fine the way it is. I wonder if the actors from the tv shows will be in the movie.

13. Stargate_Dude

Stargate_Dude Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2006
    stargate is great! anyone here on GateWorld? Mine name is wako! on it, if you have a name on it post it!

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I have lurked around in the past but I'm not sure if I ever registered or not. [face_thinking]

15. JediofJade

JediofJade Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 1999
    O'neill will be back? That's good to hear. I've been missing his snark, his pretending-to-be-dumb, his general leadership-y, team-togethery personality. @};-

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Firefly fans rejoice. :D

Morena Baccarin has been cast in the recuring role of Adria.

Thats right, Vala's baby grows up hawt :p

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It also effectively puts her out of the running for the new Wonder Woman movie.

18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    All kinds of fun stuff from Gateworld today. So much so that it almost deserves its own thread.

MGM planning Stargate film, third series
    SUNDAY - MAY 7, 2006

by Darren Sumner

Stargate owner Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Television has big plans for its hit sci-fi franchise, according to executive vice president Charles Cohen. In a new article at Multichannel News, Cohen discusses Stargate SG-1's two-hundredth episode milestone and where the valuable franchise is headed.

Cohen "says MGM 'intends' to develop a theatrical movie 'derived from the series over the last 10 years' that would ideally 'dovetail' into a third Stargate television show," according to the report.

A theatrical movie based on SG-1 would not have to wait for the series to end -- though the show's producers have been eager to do one for years, and point to the TV series' continued success as the reason it has yet to come to pass. Nor does it mean the show can't continue after a film is released. Cohen said that feature films would "not in any way impair the television run" of Stargate SG-1.

That run may inevitably come to an end for other reasons, though, as the climbing salaries inherent to a long-running series erode the profit that the company is able to make through cable licensing, syndication, and DVD sales.

"The economics of producing a show make it impossible," executive producer Robert C. Cooper told Multichannel. "The simple fact is that salaries go up incrementally as seasons continue. At some point, it just reaches the place where there's no profit to be made." (Executive producer Brad Wright recently spoke to GateWorld on this subject.)

Nevertheless, Cohen suggests that three Stargate series could run concurrently. Network television franchises such as Law & Order and CSI have proved that such a model can work. "If you look at SG-1 -- with bringing in Claudia [Black], Ben [Browder], and Beau [Bridges] -- we've retooled the series with it still being SG-1," he said. "I'd like to see SG-1 go another 10 years. I love the show. I'd like to keep it on forever and keep adding to it."

"It's very ambitious," Cohen laughed. "Brad and Rob will cringe."

Stargate is MGM's flagship television property, and has been compared to its James Bond film franchises as a long-term brand for the studio.

"Stargate on the television side represents the same type of dynamic franchise [as the James Bond movies] for us," Cohen said. "It's enormously important both in terms of what it contributes financially but also what it does for our image."

Though MGM finances most of its film projects 50/50 with new owner Sony (actually a majority shareholder in a consortium of investers that purchased the studio last year), Stargate is one that MGM stills finances in its entirety. "Stargate we own and finance 100 percent, and we're very supportive of it," Cohen said. "We're putting more money into the shows. It's very important to us that this series not only continue but maintain or exceed the quality of what came before. For instance, we're putting Richard Dean Anderson back in the show. We felt it was great for the fan base. That required some money that we hadn't budgeted, but we were very happy to spend."

And there's more to be made than through the traditional television and DVD channels in the digital age: No doubt much to fans' delight, Multichannel reports that an episode downloaded deal, via iTunes, is currently in negotiations. Other populer series, including NBC Universal's Battlestar Galactica, sell new episodes on iTunes for $1.99 each immediately after the first U.S. broadcast.

Whether or not a series bears the name "SG-1," the future of the Stargate franchise is bright indeed.

The tenth season of Stargate SG-1 premieres July 14 on SCI FI Channel in the U.S., and this fall on Sky One in the United Kingdom.

19. Zivalyia

Zivalyia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2006
    I just found this thread, hooray for other stargate fans!
    So has anyone heard what this supposed upcoming Stargate movie might be about? Does anyone think they'll find Merlin (since he's supposedly aging backwards in time)? Why aren't the Ancients doing anything about the Ori? And evidently the writers are "tossing around a possible controversial season 10 story arc for Daniel" I wonder what that might be? Does anyone else miss the enthusiasm that SG-1 had in the first few seasons? It's understandable they are now jaded by all their experiences, but still....Anyway I noticed nobody has posted here for over a week did I miss another Stargate thread being posted somewhere else? What I want to know is, who are the Furlings? They are mentioned in "The Fifth Race" by the Asgard's as being one of the four great races who made a peace treaty. Hopefully someone will answer my questions and I haven't just typed to myself. I just noticed that my husband started this thread in February and didn't even tell me!? I'm the one that got him hooked on Stargate in the first place (ranting over now).

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think that is what the movie and even the new series are going to be about. The Furlings. It just seems like the last great thing they have to explore. It would be generic enough sci-fi that they could make the movie without loosing the general audience.

21. Zivalyia

Feb 28, 2006
    Then again, the wraith are on their way to Earth...wonder if any SG1 episodes will relate to that crossover?

22. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    Nah. We were talking about it in the Atlantis thread not to long ago but nothing makes me think that the wraith are going to get anywhere near Earth.

Part of the reason the finale of that series didn't resonate with me so much.

23. Zivalyia

Feb 28, 2006
    What does everyone think, have we seen the last of the replicators?
    I hope so because there are so many other directions in which they
    could go. What ever happened to Daniel's grandfather who was exchanging cultural information with the "giant alien" Qetzacouatl? Why doesn't Sam learn to heal using the Goa'uld healing device--she probably could have saved Dr. Frazier's life (though I'm sure she was scripted to die for one reason or another). Whatever happened to Daniel's ex girlfriend that they de-Goulded? Wouldn't she still have some of Osiris's knowledge? They rescued her and after that we didn't hear anything else about her. Anyway, I do love Stargate and I'm glad there's talk of continuation of the series.

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think all of that is done.

Replicators, definatly done.
    Grandfather, probably done.
    Sha'Re, is supposedly coming up but only in that Daniel tells Aeryn...er...Vala about her so mostly done.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought Teal'c killed Sha're? :confused: