main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mankind's Greatest Ongoing Adventure: Stargate SG-1 (and Origins) (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Feb 10, 2006.

1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Doh!

And I thought I beat you to the breaking news for once!

Doh!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Gotta give this thread the love it needs. :)

3. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm starting to have serious misgivings about any more SG-1.

From seeing them in the SGU pilot...hearing about cameos...I just don't know if it's in anyone's interest to do it.

I'm not sure if the enthusiasm will be there from the actors. It's not like these people have been "away" from each other for years and are excited about working together again. Moreover, coming up with a plot premise to bring SG-1 back together is gonna be a stretch...it'll have to be like some ceremonial event off-world or something.

I'm afraid that with the new tone of the franchise, that SG-1 will take on that tone.

I'm afraid of more Fargate...which decreases my interest. But I also think that without "Fargate" a large fanbase would also be disinclined...which makes it less then a profitable enterprise.

I don't know...I love it...but while I'm rewatching the series (on season 4 now)...I get the feeling that those days will never come again...so what's the point?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's a good thing they haven't been "away" from each other- some of the actors seem to do better when they have that momentum. RDA's cameos on SGA were kinda weak, I think, because he was away for awhile and was just kinda having some fun- but he was great in Continuum shortly after them. Shanks was better in his SGA two-parter, but I felt he wasn't all in it yet like he was for Continuum or the SGU cameo.

So keeping them rolling is a good thing.

5. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Speak for yourself on RDA's appearances in Atlantis. He was in top form in the 2 parter he was in.

Guard: What are you doing there?
    O'Neill: The backstroke

6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Okay...but given that...

and as much as they like to lead us on and tell us it'll be about O'Neill...What about a Fargate movie? It's no coincidence to me that not much of a peep about Browder or Black has come up since Continuum.

What happens when they get around to making it, and they have to have them.

or...one or both refuse.

I don't know...all I'm saying is seeing Carter commanding things...O'Neill at the Pentagon (uncomfortable as that may be)...Jackson playing the part of "video guide"...I'm having a hard time seeing the team together in any reasonable facsimile to the old days...it's like I see them showing up with 3 aids each, and they do all the work while the old timers reminisce.

Question for anyone: Is the operating assumption in universe that SG-1 dissolved, or is Browder still leading the team with new people?

Cause I really hope they don't insult the fans by claiming SG-1 has still been going on missions when Carter isn't on board the Hammond.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, as of the SGA finale, SG-1 was still active- they were on a special mission offworld when the Wraith superhive attacked, and that was set after Continuum.

Yet Carter was helping coordinate the defense, so I get the impression she was in the midst of transferring to her new position. Which means the current SG-1 is either back to a four man team or a replacement 5th member was assigned SG-1.

Depending on the nature of the plot to Revolution, it doesn't necessarily have to involve the actual SG-1 team- you can have Jack and Carter interacting above the SGC's day to day operations and normal SG-1 missions, and can either have them meet Teal'c offworld or have him join them/hanging out with them between missions. Now that it's on earth, have Jackson there bugging Jack to let him be assigned to Atlantis when whatever stuff hits the fan, etc.

Or just say Cam and Vala are attending a high school reunion makeup that day ;)

8. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I think I remember reading somewhere that there were no plans to have Vala in the movie, but that's pretty old, so no idea if it's still accurate.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, was just thinking how pecular it is that we're only a week and a half away from this:

[image=http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/graphics/416_header.jpg]

;)

What was once 10 years in the future is soon to be the present. Kind of amusing to contrast the cast's appearances and character status' from that episode to where they are now. Frasier is dead but survived till now in the 2010 Timeline, Hammond lived a few years longer in the Prime Timeline than he did in the 1020 Timelne. I think Teal'c has some similarities being that both are a post-Goa'uld world as well.

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    If the writers were savvy at all, they'd write the next movie about an Aschen invasion, just to play on that calendar irony.

Stargate: Rise of the Aschen

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Aschen Ascendance? ;)

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    WHOA! CROSSOVER!

They find out the Destiny isn't an ancient ship...they just stole it from the Aschen!

All along, we thought the Ancients were SO sophisticated...they just stole the technology in a war they had upon reaching the milky way!

Seriously...it could save SG-U if they played it right.

hmmm...[face_thinking]

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Certainly be an interesing twist, but I don't think the Ashcen were ever portrayed as that advanced- they weren't able to figure out galactic drift in regards to gates, etc. They were above the Goa'uld in technology, but I never got the impression they were on equal standings with even the proto-ancients.

14. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Maybe they were...before the war...[face_thinking]

15. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I just don't think it would work - their modus operandi was getting cultures to let them in, not taking them by force, and the SGC knows about them now (remember the episode 2001, the present-day-at-the-time counterpart to 2010). With Earth's current level of technology in the Stargateverse, the Aschen would be unlikely to be a threat in a straight-up fight. And their modus operandi of making a world sterile is rather far off and abstract (which is why 2010 had to be set in the future). They work as once or twice off antagonists, but stretching them beyond that isn't wise.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Aschen could change- they might simply prefer the other way, but we did seemingly hook them up to a blackhole (likely destroying at least one world in their confederation). They have advanced technology, weaponry and servant worlds to conscript if necessary if they don't want to get their hands dirty.

They were able to defeat the Goa'uld (though I forget if they just gave us the weapons and tech to do so ourselves or were directly involved).

17. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    They came and did it..."they saved us from the Goa'uld".

Now whether they actually defeated the Goa'uld completely or just ran them off Chulak and away from earth, the story isn't that detailed.

---------

Imagine the Ancients have just arrived from the Ori galaxy. All they have are the ship they came in, and Merlin's primitive concepts, including the Stargate.

They stumble across an expansionary race very similar to the ancients themselves. The Ancients attempt to make contact, and the Aschen embrace them...they work together to adopt the prototype gate and they encourage the Ancients to launch an extremely ambitious project with a ship to explore beyond the galaxy.

Destiny is launched, with Ancients believing it to be the seed of a peaceful new alliance with their friends from this galaxy.

And then they are wrong. The Aschen intend to use the seeded gates as a means to expand and exploit worlds. When the plot is revealed, much as when the Aschen's intentions become clear in SG-1, the Ancients react to stop them. The Aschen get aggressive...fights begin across the galaxy and on board Destiny.

The war ends with the Aschen isolated in their confederation, their technology dealt devastating blows and their gates not working properly. Destiny was abandoned to it's autopilot, a tainted dream that perhaps has been booby trapped by Aschen secrets locked inside it's construction.

The Ancients next efforts will be less ambitious, and more thoughtful...Pegasus.

Heck...you could even toss in the great alliance. !!!

Maybe the Aschen wipe out the Furlings in the war!!!

How nuts would that be!

-------

Actually, unlike a lot of different series, many of the peoples of Stargate are not detailed into little corners, unable to be expanded...personally, I've always seen great potential to expand upon 3 races from SG-1.

1. The "Foothold" Aliens

2. The Aschen

3. The Reetou

Each one could have evolved into a unique and persistent foe...each entirely unlike most "villains" of the Goa'uld/Ori/Wraith variety.

The Foothold Aliens provide for "body-snatcher" fears on a level that the Goa'uld were never taken too...could be frightening.

The Aschen provide for the enemy with no emotional compunction. It's evil by the numbers.

The Reetou provide a myriad of complexity with their beliefs and motives, especially once the Goa'uld have finally been destroyed...what is their purpose? They turned their lives over to total vengeance...I think that would lead to some very interesting avenues.

"That just happens to be how I feel about it...what do you think?"

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I speculated on the possibilities of the Foohold aliens being SGU villains at some point- I think they're perfectly matched (they're from another galaxy, the bodysnatching becomes more of a danger when combined with Destiny's timelimits, etc).

The Aschen... I get the impression they're just highly evolved humans resulting from the Ancients seeding life in the Milky Way, and, like the Goa'uld, they discovered the gates and used them to their advantage, but that explains why they are isolated to their confederation- by time they found the gates, the galactic drift had already transpired to the point where other gates didn't work. I don't see that happening within a short timespan of exposure to the Ancients.

Don't get me wrong- I've been wanting them to do another Aschen for a long time (and we know it was one of those possible story ideas that the writers kept bringing up for awhile but kept on holding off on).

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Ha!

2012?

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    So watched "Chain Reaction" last night.

In the scene where O'Neill visits Hammond at home, you see Jack outside, come over and press his mouth to the window.

couple shots later, they show Jack and Hammond inside, looking out at Hammond's grand daughters...the window has a missing panel on the left side of the shot.

I didn't catch it, my buddy did.

so did they remove the glass intentionally...or did O'Neill bust the pane in a take as he pressed on it?

My first thought was perhaps they removed the panel to get a shot through...but they never have a shot from that angle except for the shot in in question, and that one is shown from outside to clearly show they are looking at Hammond's grandkids.

Interesting. Amusing.

21. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Watched "2010" last night.

In 2010.

Depressed a bit.[face_plain]

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Why be depressed? It just means SG-1 was successful in altering the timeline! :D

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Ok...I've entered season 5 in my re-watch of the series.

I'm hoping to pinpoint the exact moment when Shanks decides he's had enough.

Had one good candidate in the first episode "Enemies Part 2", when he's left alone on the bridge of the Ha'tac and doesn't know how to do anything. Great shot of his face...suppose to look to worried...I thought I could see "annoyed"...but maybe it's because I'm looking for it.

"Threshold" has a good non-moment, as Daniel is essentially dismissed from helping Teal'c..."I'll go" says O'Neill...both O'Neill and Carter have bedside time with Teal'c...and Daniel is a ghost. Fraiser had a more prominent role. Lot's of side profile shots of Daniel behind other people's shoulders.

-----

Off Topic Special Note: 5 posts to 5,000!

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Why did Shanks leave for a season anyway?

25. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Official line was "to pursue other career opportunities".

Unofficial line...Shanks was under a false assumption from the beginning of the show that he would get near if not equal lead credit with Richard Dean Anderson. He felt that his character was undercut from it's prominence in the original feature film.

By season 5, Daniel Jackson's major character arc was completed (with his wife's fate, the child's fate, and the death of Apophis)...in season 5, he felt his character was poorly used.

Rumor has it there were some fierce fights between Shanks and the writing teams.

So...he left the show...but this decision was made well ahead of the end of season 5...by the end of the season, when he "ascends"...relationships were much improved. Shanks agreed to return in cameos as Jackson and to do voice work for "Thor" in season 6.

The fan response to Shanks departure was heard even before season 6 aired...and got louder after his cameos began, particularly with "Abyss".

Supposedly by the time Shanks shot his cameo for "The Changeling" (a project written by Chris Judge), they were already in talks to return him to the show.

And of course, upon return to the show, Shanks received special "final" billing in the opening credits...likely a compromise or a gesture on the part of the producers.