main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mankind's Greatest Ongoing Adventure: Stargate SG-1 (and Origins) (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Feb 10, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    SG-1 turned 20 today (well, yesterday at this point):

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, info has been released about the streaming service platform, Stargate Command.

It'll be centered around the site https://stargatecommand.co (no "m" at the end). That site will be freely accessible as a "fan experience" hub for news and events.

The membership tier, "Stargate Command All-Access", grants you access to the streaming content (all 3 series, all 3 films [I guess they're not counting the rerelease for COTG], plus Origins and BTS Origins content).

The membership subscription for SGCAA is a one-time fee of $20, running from Sept 20th until May 18th. So about 7 months of access. It does imply that Origins will not be available at launch, but if you pre-order your subscription, you get a free t-shirt and digital copy of the Origins script.

So... not terrible, really. If you factor in the t-shirt it's probably like paying $0.75-1.50 a month for the streaming. It is weird though that they have the hard cut-off date with no renewal info, though. It's makes this feel like more of a test run.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Gives me access to all the series, all the films, and the new series Origins all for $20? Hell, I'll throw $20 at them for all of that.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Already linked by another user in the TV general thread:

Not too blown away by the teaser but it has potential- I don't mind the Indiana Jones vibe, though (since the original movie was described as SW meets IJ). Still, I wish they'd just come out and say that this is in the movie continuity or SG-1 continuity and take the flack up front instead of beating around the bush.

The non-lighting chevrons suggest movieverse. Catherine being involved in a functional Gate adventure suggests only a few possibilities of squeezing this into the prime continuity. The one that really makes the most sense to me is if those Nazis somehow found the Giza DHD and use it to operate the gate- but it is destroyed by the end of the series, leaving the Langfords to figure out how to get it operational without one over the decades and deciphering the first 6 symbols but being unable to figure out (or be aware of the necessity for) the 7th (since the DHD provided the 7th symbol, they potentially never saw it). That would still allow Ernest to get lost offworld in 1945 with no one able to get him home. And then I believe Catherine gets kept away from the program in the 60's.

EDIT 1- I totally forgot that the Germans did take the Giza DHD! The Soviets took it from them after the war and that was how they were able to run their own SG program (after they recovered the Giza gate from the ocean). So, there might actually be some hope that this fits into SG-1 continuity afterall!

EDIT 2- And as a bit of good timing, Fleet Yards got their hands on the show-used Daedalus CGI model, and did a few nice still renders of some of the details:

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer:

Not much of an improvement but it could still fit. Of note that it doesn't seem to have the chevron lights when we do see the kawoosh shot. But we don't know the context of that shot yet.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    You know, I'm finding that I'm kinda digging on this. I'm a sucker for the period aspect, and the 10 minute episodes play right into that old time matinee serial feel. Either way Ellie Gall has the look of a breakout star.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I've watched the entire first season and there was no Mankind. Where the **** is Mick Foley?

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    First I've heard of this Origins, it looks like a poor man's The Mummy, which was in turn a poor man's Indiana Jones.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They've clearly kept the budget to a minimum, given the test scope of the streaming platform and the limited runtime of the microseries.

And, I'm only now just realizing that, with more hope towards this fitting SG-1 continuity- she is speaking without the accent from the movie, like she did on SG-1.

Oh, you'll have to keep watching. He doesn't show up until Season 10. And you really gotta watch everything before then for it to make sense.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the TV universe still pulls parts of the movie into its continuity (flashback footage from the movie is used in at least one episode), even if as an indirect "treat it as an in-universe movie adaptation of the actual events which we never saw" type retcon.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The first 3 episodes are now online :)

Jedi Knight Fett and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Finished all 10 last night. For the budget, they did a terrific job and it fitted into canon very well. Episode 10 was my favourite :)

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Do they leave it open for a second season? I recall reading they would use Origins like an anthology series and do different stories each season- but I can't imagine they wouldn't leave the door open for a potentially successful cast of the first season to return for another.

15. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    The way it ended, it ties to the start of the 1994 movie pretty well but obviously there is a huge time gap.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Stargate Command service will be shutting down:

[​IMG]

Further confirmation of some SGC content moving to YouTube for free:

[​IMG]

No mention of Origins yet, or the actual series episodes.

Speaking of which- since it has been some time since we last posted here, they apparently put out a "Feature Cut" of Stargate Origins titled "Stargate Origins: Catherine" for other digital platforms. The subtitle suggests it was reflecting the idea that Origins might explore other aspects of the franchise ala the original X-Men Origins plan (guess "Origins" subseries have bad luck). The Feature Cut included enhanced special FX, a new sound mix and a new title sequence.

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I miss this franchise so much. They did Universe dirty only giving em 1 season.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Mallozzi seems confident that the proposed reboot isn't happening and that MGM will come back around to the franchise at some point. It's just a question of "When is 'When'?".

And Universe got 2 seasons. And, damn- it actually debuted 10 years ago! Yeesh, time flies.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/stargate-producer-teases-progress-new-tv-series-set-within-sg-1

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020...nts-new-stargate-progress-revisiting-destiny/

Unlike MGM’s decision in 2014 to reboot Stargate on the big screen, Brad Wright’s project won’t rewrite years of history and mythology. Instead it will continue on where Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe left off, set within the same continuity and not rebooting anything. Of course that’s the case, since Wright led the writers in shaping that universe over 14 years of production.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A few days ago, Eaglemoss confirmed they've acquired the rights for a Stargate models line. w00t! They've also acquired all of the original VFX files from all three shows so they're in the process of upgrading the models for these releases, which should start in late 2021 or early 2022.

So, even though they haven't announced any specific ships yet, it's pretty easy to speculate where this could go, at least as a starting point.

-The three gate models.
    -Prometheus & Daedalus
    -F-302s
    -Death Gliders, Al'kesh Bombers, Tal'tek scouts
    -Ha'tak Mothership & Anubis's Mothership
    -Asgard Mothership
    -Replicator Mothership
    -An actual Replicator!
    -Atlantis/cityship
    -Aurora-class
    -Puddle jumper
    -Wraith Hive Ship
    -Wraith Dart
    -Destiny
    -Seed Ship
    -Destiny transport
    -Ori Mothership
    -Ori Fighter

They probably wouldn't start with that many ships but those are the likley highlights they'd choose from to start off with. One assumes the earth ships and Goa'uld craft will be the initial priority, though I could see Destiny and either a Puddle Jumper or Atlantis herself being included in the initial waves.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    58 is no age. Such a shame.

I was amazed that he was only in 15 episodes. Maybe it's because he's mentioned so frequently, but Ba'al felt like much more of a presence. All of them were solid-to-great episodes as well. I'd argue that Ba'al was also the best villain the show had.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He really nailed the role of villain, after Stargate he turned up all over the place in those kind of roles.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Indeed.

The2ndQuest likes this.