Mann's Chinese Theater

Discussion in 'Los Angeles, CA' started by ODUFrank, Apr 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODUFrank Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm going to be in L.A. from May 10-14th. Naturally, I gotta stop by here. So, any advice? For example, tips on parking would be nice. Also, how far ahead of time can I buy tickets and should I even bother doing so? What will be playing from the 10th to the 14th of May? Any useful info would be nice. Thanks.
  2. sharukin Jedi Padawan

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." :) :) :)
  3. eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Parking is a problem, and it's different from area to area. Downtown, I'd say look for a parking structure for whatever you're going to, and be thorough. In Hollywood area, park on residential streets two streets back from main streets. You can often save money if you're willing to be a little farther from where you're going.
    Other Notes: Avoid South Central LA, use surface streets when possible, and bring a gas mask to breathe the poisonous atmosphere.
    May the Force Be With You
    Eaglejedi, Jedi Master
  4. Kahunna Jedi Padawan

When parking in Hollywood at night (after 7pm) you can park in the "Tour Bus Only" spots without getting ticketed. The sidewalk on the east side of Orange (across the street from Hollywood Souviners) is a place I park a lot.

Another "Tour Bus Only" spot is across the street and a little west of The Egyptian Theatre (McCadden Pl?)

No guarantees that you won't be ticketed - but I haven't ever. In fact, I asked a cop if it's ok to park in those spaces and he said it was fine at night as long as a tour bus wouldn't need it. (they usually don't after 7pm or so)

Hope that helps,
    Kahunna
  5. Queen_Tofuti Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here's the website addy for the theatre so you can see whats playing during the times you will be here:
    http://www.manntheatres.com/chinese.html

Also you can park on the side streets. I've had no problem parking or wandering around Hollywood anywhere from midnight to 3am if I chose to do so. There are bars all around that area and don't forget to find Harrison Ford's star. :D

Its also fun to drive down Ventura Blvd which is just north of Hollywood. Lots of celebrities and things to do there. (met Nicholas Cage at a newsstand at Laurel Cyn Blvd and Ventura Blvd :) )

Have lots o fun here and see as much as you can. There is way too much to see and visit. :) You need to be here a couple months at least. LOL
  6. ODUFrank Jedi Knight

star 2
    Cool, thanks. Oh yeah, how far in advance can I buy tickets? Online or on the phone? How early should I arrive (I'll be there on a weekend and I'll try to make it to one of the first two cheap showings of the day cuz I'll be damned if I pay $9 to see any movie)? I already have most of the trip planned out, hotel reservations (Beverly Hilton, supposed to be nice, also where they had the Golden Globes which are evil anyway), etc, but I would like to hear some thoughts on what to see and do, where to eat, etc. Is Universal worth the money they charge? No, I have no Di$ney plans whatsoever.
  7. Kahunna Jedi Padawan

Queen_Tofuti wrote:
    -------------------------------------
    "...and don't forget to find Harrison
    Ford's star."
    -------------------------------------

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's not our Harrison Ford's star. :( From what I've heard, that's some other guy from the 40's or something... Mr. Indiana Jones/Han Solo doesn't have a star yet... (neither does Lucas, for that matter.) Hollywood Walk of Stars... yeah, right! :)

ODUFrank-
    I doubt any weekend matinee will sell out at the Chinese. It seats close to 2,000 people!

Have fun,
    Kahunna
  8. ODUFrank Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, this is the most retarded theater in the universe and I WILL NOT give them my money. What are they playing this weekend? Driven...for the third weekend in a row, that horrible Stallone bomb. They could have been smart and kept Bridget Jones for a third week, then got rid of it for The Mummy Returns last weekend and kept that movie that is actually making money around for a few weeks, or not give that piece of garbage Driven a third weekend (not even making money anymore) and play something else like A Knight's Tale until Pearl Harbor opens. Thanks a lot. Now I'll never see a movie here. They can go to hell.
  9. Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The theaters themselves rarely have any say in what plays, it's the chain management that decides.

But, for the record I'll say that I think it's good that nothing plays for more than three weeks there. Long runs is the reason that the Coronet is closing San Francisco. If they followed the example that Mann's uses with the Chinese the theater would probably be among the most successful in San Francisco.

But, I'll also say I don't believe for a second that the theater seats 1400. It's definitely smaller than the Coronet which seats 1203.

I saw AI there about two weeks ago. While I was there, waiting for the movie to start, there were guys doing construction behind the curtain. They were all wearing DTS t-shirts. THe Chinese will at least have DTS come Eppy II time :D
  10. o2thx Jedi Padawan

Actually, the Chinese Theatre is far from retarded. It's one of the best there is. Just so happened it played a movie you didn't want to see. Has nothing to do with the theatre, the theatre is awesome.
  11. Black_Magic_Wormie Jedi Knight

star 3
    I like Mann's theater. I saw TPM there on the second week. There's a feeling of nostalgia about seeing a film there....

btw, the name "Mann's Chinese Theater" is being changed to Gruman's Theater again by the City of LA. This was recently in the news.
  12. JediLeiaSolo Jedi Master

star 2
    I used to live in LA, and saw EP I at Mann's twice. I thought it was really fun. I moved away, stupid mistake, but I hope to be back there to see Episode II there at least once.

All the best,
    JediLeiaSolo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.