main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Manual Signature Images

Discussion in 'Communications' started by YodaJeff, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Ok... so I wasn't the first. But mine uses color.

Anyway, let's just shut the manual sig (text) discussion down right now and focus on the evil of the manual sig (pic).

AYBABTU?

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I'm not sure. He might have, but I really didn't see him a whole lot pre-Snowboard.

GO 'CLONES!

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Yeah, it doesn't really matter who started the trend. We'll eventually track them down and give them the rubber trout beating they deserve.

The point is that the picture manual sigs are, as Darth_AYBABTU so elquently put, evil.

GriffZ?

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    AYBABTU sure has a way with words.

In all seriousness, I think that manual sig pics shouldn't be allowed for the reasons said above. It just wastes bandwidth. If you want to put a picture, put a link to it. Either do it in the nicely arranged SIGNATURE function of your User Details section, or if you insist on doing manual sigs, do it like Icebreaker and just put a link to a pic.

5. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I agree with everyone in this thread. We should ban all people with sigs... Oh wait that includes me.

*leave to ban self*

J/K

But I do think that Jeff is right about this. It's not fair to the webmasters of those web sites.

Now I may have a solution to this. We make mannual image sigs illegal, then allow image code for sigs and make those illegal, as well. That way we can at least change the images quicker. OK, I got myself confused again. AYBABTU's manual sig is too loud.

6. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I understand the problems with bandwidth theft, and I've had issues elsewhere, where innocent pictures were changed to innapropiate ones when direct linked. But I honestly don't see what the problem with a manual sig picture is, as long as the person hosts it him/herself. If you have a dialup and you're complaining about having to load all the picture (or if you're YodaJeff and you're complaining even though you have cable) then you can very easily turn off image capabilities in your browser.

The point about a manual sig pic not "adding to the conversation" is completely moot, neither do other manual sigs or the automatic sigs, or the smileys. They can be just as easily expressed with a simple : ) rather than having to have the graphics...
    Give me a break YodaJeff

7. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Nice argument, Jeff. I completely agree.

HALLO HI!1 THSI SI DANE'S MANYOOUL SIGNUCHOORE!!1111!!1 HOAPFULYL PEEPULL WILL NOATIEC ME MOER NOUW!!1!11~`!!!!1!!!!~1!1`!2!1

8. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    But will most people go out and buy a host so they can host it themselves?

Cause those free ones will shut you down eventually, and we'll be stuck looking at 100+ "Tripod does not allow Remote Linking" gif's or just the Red X:
    [image=http://www.sillymystic.com/RedX.gif]

¤Night

9. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Fate, I don't believe that YodaJeff is talking about all manual sigs, just those that have pictures in them. Why should there be a picture of something that doesn't contribute to the thread? It detracts from the conversation.

wstraka5

10. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    But I honestly don't see what the problem with a manual sig picture is, as long as the person hosts it him/herself.

while that's true, it'd be a bit difficult to enforce.

and the point about taking off images, i spent a semester with images disabled on my computer and it's a pain. the images that you want to see, for example the banner and the smilies, would normally be in your cache and wouldn't take very long to load, but instead they're all blocked, the ones you want to see, and the ones you don't.

11. Master_Yaddle

Master_Yaddle Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    I have a question, it relates to this topic, how do you get a title picture, I have seen Jobo and her's has a Title and a picture under her username.

How do you do that?

12. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    that's because of the big brother house. they just do a regular title, but put in the HTML for a picture.

regular users can't use it, it only happened in this case because they won a competition

13. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

Jobo (male) was given a "title" while in the Big Brother game - he hasn't had it removed yet... that feature is only for Mods, Admins, AC members, City Reps, VIPs...

14. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    actually night, i was thinking about making the red x my manual sig pic, whatdya think?

[image=www.nasr.net/danielle/redx.jpg]

15. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    I think you forgot the http:// ;)

¤Night

16. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    (that's the point, it's supposed to be a big red x, the URL is completely fictionalized.)

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree with YodaJeff on this issue.

Note that I am talking about the use of IMAGES in manual sigs. I have no problem with manual sigs in general, as can be evidated by the following:

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Well, my Red-X wasn't... :(

At least, it used not to be, aparentely they took it down :-\

¤Night

19. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Upon review, let me just say that it isn't the JC's responsibility to protect everyone's bandwidth. If we're going to do that, then we better disable image posting altogether, and I don't want to give up my right to post the pansy pirate.

AYBABTU?

20. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    User agrees not to post any material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right

Proprietary Right sounds somwhat ambiguous here....

¤Night

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Why do you need manual sig pictures? Isn't that what we have icons for?

22. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    most sites have a disclaimer somewhere that deliberately forbids people from remote linking. I think that falls under that clause. ;)

Edit: Why do you need manual sig pictures? Isn't that what we have icons for?

Yes, and that's why the icon choices are not limited at all, everyone gets exactly what they want when they choose an icon...

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Holy crap! Lock this, Jeff, before we lose the right to post images altogether!

AYBABTU?

24. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
  25. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    We're actually discussion your right to use the letter "T".

I does'n look good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.