1. fanfic Voting

Beyond - Legends Many Faces of the Force: Winner of Best Underated!! Completed July 7th!! Author Replies Up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jaina_Solo_15, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    As her twin?s powerful words blared from the speakers all across the Star Destroyer?s control center, Jaina was galvanized into action. It was her nature to be in motion and her twin?s challenge to Shimrra was not enough to change that basic reaction. Hesitating only long enough to coordinate the orders for the ships directly under her command with Slarne and to give him a few other secondary orders, Jaina ran towards the turbolift. She didn?t even question how Jacen had managed to ?procure? a B-wing, as her focus shifted in an instant from the larger battle to concentrate on the smaller, but suddenly much more important fight. The Force was telling her that Jacen?s duel was the only thing of true importance at the moment and she would listen.

The only words that she uttered as she stepped into the waiting turbolift were, ?Have my x-wing prepped.?

Jaina flew with the singleminded determination and unerring focus that made her one of the best pilots that the GFFA boasted. Skips simply couldn?t match her maneuvers and gouts of molten plasma went wide around her as she dove towards the enormous monstrosity that had drawn her twin in, in the midst of the chaos of the battle, to duel Shimrra.

She approached the massive tentacled vessel with more than a hint of apprehension. She would?ve had to be insane to face this vessel fearlessly and now Jaina had far too much to lose to be fearless. That was why this had to be done perfectly.

She remembered as she studied her monstrous opponent, how she had felt as 16, launching herself at Landro?s asteroid field at full speed. She had been proud and determined to prove herself there. Nothing had been able to touch her that day. She let that memory wash over her and Jaina felt a wild, defiant grin begin to spread over her face. She looked up from her tactical console and out at the destructive flailing tentacles.

Jaina shoved the throttle as far forward as it would go and she felt her x-wing jump forwards with the surge of power. She waited, following a straight course towards Shimrra?s vessel, until the tentacles flung towards her. Jaina?s reaction was pure instincet. If she had hesitated- even for a fraction of a second to plan her evasive maneuvers- then she would already have been so much space dust.

She responded to the attack by cutting sharply down and away. Her astromech screamed in protest, in the next instant, as she cut all power to her engines and fell into the dive. However, the tentacled vessel hadn?t accounted for her sudden loss of velocity and the tentacles flailed harmlessly past her.

She took advantage of her moment of reprieve to send her x-wing surging forwards again. As another tentacle lashed towards her x-wing, Jaina suddenly yawed away from it. Then she was under the vast vessel, mostly away from the tentacles and the spitting acid. She yanked the stick of her x-wing back and angled it up towards the underside of the Vong vessel. Without trepidation Jaina watched the underside of the vessel grow larger and larger, filling more and more of the view outside of her cockpit.

Her only action was to tilt the nose of her x-wing farther upwards so that it was climbing ?upwards? at about a 60 degree angle with the belly of the Vong vessel. She counted down the long seconds steadily, with each of her hands poised over different controls. She waited as her collision warning system blared in the noise of eminent danger and held her course past the point of no return. The instant after the last moment, she simultaneously fired all of her torpedoes and pulled the ejection lever.

Jagged Fel tensed abruptly as Jacen?s challenge filted over the frequencies. Only one word flashed through his mind. Jaina. She would respond immediately to Jacen?s challenge--he couldn?t believe that she would allow him to challenge Shimrra.

Almost without thinking, Jag gave the order for his second in command to take over the squadron. Shimrra?s bold decleration had taken away any need for him to convey that information to Pellaeon and/>/>
  2. _JM_ Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Good thing that Slarne is competent to take over as Jaina seemed to give little thought to the thousands of people that had been under her command (I know, as you said she knew it was right because the force told her so).

Great piloting (as expected) from Jaina with weaving through the defences and then blasting herself a hole to try to eject through into the interior of Shimmra?s ship. Hopefully her astromech, lacking the force to steer its course, will be okay as well (assuming like Whistler this astromech has an eject mechanism).

Poor Jag though, Jaina?s manoeuvre scared the sithspit out of him. Classic move to simulate a crash would be to fire a torpedo so that appearance would be the side-effect of her move. Good flying though by Jag to get himself back through all those coralskippers.
  3. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    Good thing that Slarne is competent to take over as Jaina seemed to give little thought to the thousands of people that had been under her command (I know, as you said she knew it was right because the force told her so).

You know that part bothered me even as I wrote it. I don't know why I left it in even. I guess I was just in too much of a hurry to get this posted. I went back and edited that a bit. It's not much, but hopefully it will make Jaina look a bit less cruel and unconcerned. That really wasn't my intention when I wrote it although it certainly came out that way.
  4. J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master

star 4
    I figured she'd do something. I had not expected her to go attack the vessel. Jaina certainly does like to surprise people. :p

Poor Jag. He don't have the Force so how's he to know she survived. :(

[face_devil] cliffie.
  5. JAGSGURL15 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    WONDERFULLLL!!! great job!
  6. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    I also wanted to say thanks to my master, Jaya for betaing this chapter for me while NYCitygurl was unavailable.

J_M_Bulldog: Yeah, Jag's not being aware that Jaina's alive will be very important in this part. [face_devil]

JAGSGURL15: Glad you liked it! :D

For an instant the explosion was all around Jaina, and then she was clear - the frigid vacuum of space replacing the searing heat of the explosion in an instant. The momentum was quickly pushing her away from the exploded X-Wing and the damage that it had done on the underbelly of Shimrra?s vessel.

Jaina?s gloved hand clutched her lightsaber tightly as the realities of being EV closed in around her. She concentrated fiercely as she calculated the trajectory of the course that her ejection seat would take. She was almost certain that her setup had been perfect. Jaina watched the small timer counting down on the arm control panel of her EV suit. As it grew closer to zero, Jaina slowly used the small repulsors on her ejection seat to turn 180 degrees from where she had been facing. She was suddenly facing the underbelly of the Vong vessel again, as her ejection chair rushed towards it.

Carefully, gradually, she used her small repulsors to gently crash into the rocky coral of the Vong hull. She grabbed onto it quickly with her one free hand and tried to dig her feet into footholds. In the end it was a combination of determination and the Force that kept her there for the first several instants. With a few quick twists of various releases, Jaina was soon free of the restraints that kept her strapped into her ejection seat. She didn?t allow herself to think about what would happen if she failed or floated off in to space.

Still clinging as tightly as she could to the coral ?beneath? her, Jaina ignited her lightsaber. With careful precision she began to cut into the hull beside her, working as quickly as she could. The agonizing minutes seemed to slip so slowly by as she cut deeper and deeper. Before long, she was actually inside a meter or so gouge into the coral, continuing to slash deeper. The moments began to meld together as her motions became repetitive.

She wasn?t sure how long she had been cutting when the first tiny rush of pressurized gasses began to push against her. A gush of various fluids followed it, rushing out into the void of space and covering Jaina?s EV suit in, what she was sure was a foul smelling liquid. She instinctively grabbed onto a convenient piece of coral as the liquids and gasses being expelled pushed at her and then used her other hand to complete the cut that would fully create her opening.

Jaina used the Force to shove the hunk of coral aside and out into space before she rolled- far more awkwardly than she should have- into the opening, lightsaber first. She rose to her feet in an attack stance, searching immediately for any threats. Surprisingly she found none. Jaina wasted no time pondering her good luck. Instead she moved quickly towards the nearest nerve cluster. It only took her a few instants to get the results that she desired from the Vong technology and soon she had the breach somewhat sealed over and the chamber repressurized.

Jaina?s next move was to strip off her more cumbersome EV suit for the regular flight suit that she wore underneath it. There was a chance that she might need the EV suit later, but it was a risk she was willing to take. At the moment, what she needed more was maneuverability and something that wouldn?t hinder her in a fight.

Jaina left her lightsaber ignited as she glanced from one end of the corridor to the other. Without the schematics of this vessel there was no way for her to find Shimrra?s position, but she could at least make an educated guess because some marking were similar on almost all Vong vessels.

As Jaina made her decision and started down a corridor, she didn?t even bother with stealth. In this situation there was no chance that she could pass as a Yuuzhan Vong and besides, that wasn?t Jaina?s intention. She wa
  7. JAGSGURL15 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    OMG! right now i am majooorly hating u!

That tis MEAN! JS15!

Wonderful Postae! and Jaya will find a way out !
  8. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    But JG15 I had so much fun with it! :p

and hopefully you won't hate me too long! :D
  9. J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, one really can't blame him. I mean how was he to know Jaina was still alive and kicking tail? How was he to know Jacen was in there getting his tail kicked?

So it's all up to Jaina and Jacen, fitting.

Can't wait to see what happens next.
  10. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    So I went on a road trip yesterday and was stuck in the truck for about 14 hours or so and I managed to do a lot of writing. The point of this is: I'm really almost finished with this story. I pretty much have the last two chapters of this story written and all that's left is the epilogue.

Just thought ya'll might want to know. :)
  11. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
    PSSST! The voting thread is up! Go vote if you haven't yet! :: shamelessly plugs her padawan's story ::
  12. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    All right, I have good news. I have a new chapter typed and beta'd so for once I'll actually be posting on schedule tonight! :D

p.s. Thanks for the plug, Jaya!
  13. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    That's so mean!!! How could you do that to Jag (and Jaina and Jacen)???

NYC
  14. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    NYCitygurl: That's so mean!!! How could you do that to Jag (and Jaina and Jacen)??? Aww, but it was so fun! [face_devil] Thanks for betaing this for me! :D

Jag gripped the copilot?s console aboard the Jade Shadow tightly as Mara guided her ship out of the hangar bay of the Star Destroyer and into space. Rescuing Jaina was something that Jag had developed plenty of experience at during his years of fighting beside her, but he wasn?t usually rescuing her from his own huge blunder. His stomach was in a hard knot, and his skin was covered in a cold sweat. The air of the cockpit was thick with tension. The thought of Jaina dieing because of him was almost more than he could stand.

That was why he was here with Mara. He had to save Jaina. He was flying into the heart of a sun and attempting to get her out of a hostile Vong vessel that was as likely to destroy them as the massive amount of heat coming from the sun. The ?Shadow shuddered as it drew closer to the Vong vessel with as much speed as Mara dared to use. This whole situation was dangerous. Gouts of molten plasma flew at them and then melted into the brilliant background of the sun.

Mara guided the controls with a skilled touch, flying with a talent that Jag both recognized and respected. Her eyes drifted half-shut?worrying him at first until he realized that it wasn?t from exhaustion or her injuries, but the way that she was centering her self on the way the Force was flowing around them. Mara moved them towards Shimrra?s vessel in degrees, assuming nothing about the constantly changing gravity and the hostile vessel. The only positive aspect of the situation was that their line of approach was bringing them in directly opposite the massive, destructive tentacles.

Perhaps it would be enough, and perhaps it wouldn?t. The odds of successfully getting Jaina off of that vessel and getting the ?Shadow back out of the sun?s gravity well were impossibly small. Even Rogue Squadron would not attempt a mission with these odds. Jag had to. It was his only choice. Jaina had gone after Jacen because she had no other choice. She could not stand by and watch her brother die. Jag had made the same choice and he would stand by it. He would do anything for her.

It hit Jaina like a sharp blow to the back of her head and she staggered heavily into a wall as Jacen?s emotions rushed through her mind like an unstoppable tide and she was drowning in them. It only took an instant, however, for years of mental discipline and experience at blocking people out of her mind, to kick in. When it did, however, it was like the sudden absence of madness.

The sudden barrage of emotions had disoriented Jaina, but as the immediacy faded, she began to analyze what she had seen and felt from Jacen. It had eliminated her need to find Jacen and given her a clear sense of where he was. What disturbed her though was the emotions that had come from her twin. She had seen her brother through many states in their lives, but she had never ?seen? him so?.broken.

As much as she wanted to reach back to Jacen through the Force, however, she didn?t. She couldn?t take the chance that reassuring Jacen that she was nearby would somehow alert Shimrra. Her plan might not have many merits, but surprise was one of the few that it did have.

Jacen Solo had been defeated and he knew it. Truthfully, part of him had been expecting it. It was far from the first time that Shimrra had crushed any spark of resistance within him.

This time was different.

For the first time in years, Jacen felt like a Jedi again, a being who fought to protect the galaxy. But he was also more than a Jedi now. His experience had shaped him as much as his heritage and training.

The pressure that Shimrra was exerting on Jacen?s mind and the way that he attacked Jacen?s mind was the same, but now Jacen embraced his pain and his despair. He accepted the mental damage that Shimrra was inflicting on him. Jacen pulled power around himself as he />/>
  15. JAGSGURL15 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    OoMmGg! HOW CAN U LEAVE US HANGING TILL FRIDAY? and i wont be back till sunday night at the earliest.. so i have to keeeeeep waiting~!

great job! u write with such vigor and so much description.... its down right enjoyable allll the way around!
  16. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    Sorry to leave you hanging, JG15, but at least it'll be posted when you get back! :D
  17. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    That was a wonderful post!!! Jag needs to save Jaina!!!!

Man, I'm not going to be here Friday OR Monday!!! Ahhh!!!

NYC
  18. J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: Gah! No! Bad, [face_devil] cliffie! And we have to wait til Friday. [Bespin_Luke]Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/Bespin_Luke]

Jaina needs to get to Jacen, Jag needs to get to both of them. Someone needs to kill Shimmra.
  19. Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master

star 7
    I've returned to this fic...and it is breathtaking. The fights are vivid and alive, the dialogue colorful and interesting, the introspect intriguing and a "page-turner". Ridiculously good. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next post...although at that point I may have bitten my fingernails off with anticipation.
  20. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    NYCitygurl: Man, I'm not going to be here Friday OR Monday!!! Ahhh!!! [face_mischief] But at least you got to read this one ahead of time!

J_M_Bulldog: Jaina needs to get to Jacen, Jag needs to get to both of them. Someone needs to kill Shimmra. lol. I'm working on it! :D

Suzuki_Akari: [face_blush] Wow, thank you. I hope this chapter makes up for your lack of fingernails.

And here we go again.... :D

The Force was guiding Jaina towards her brother, but at the moment the sense that she was getting from the Force was confusing and frustrating. Her frustration wasn?t helping her read the Force with any more clarity, either.

Besides, at the moment, Jaina was inside a tiny crawlway, barely big enough for her to slid through, and occasionally the walls of the living coral structure would contract around her until Jaina couldn?t move and barely even breathe. It was those moments when Jaina was certain that she would never leave Shimrra?s vessel.

It felt as if Jacen was right beside her now, but that was definitely impossible. There wasn?t room for a blaster beside her, much less her brother. She groaned in frustration and then let her chin rest on the coral underneath her. Her eyes drifted shut as she focused on pushing everything else out of her mind and concentrated fiercely on finding Jacen. Slowly and then more quickly, images began to flash through her mind. They showed her Shimrra and Jacen. Her twin was in even more danger than before.

Jaina jerked back in surprise as another image coursed through her mind and then she cursed as she realized that she was directly above Jacen. She hissed in a breath and quickly ignited her lightsaber. In her close quarters, the weapon was suddenly transformed from elegant to awkward in her hands. Cutting the right size hole would be at best difficult under the present conditions, especially if she wanted to maintain the element of surprise.

Jaina finally managed to find an angle at which she could sink her lightsaber into the coral. She worked as quickly as she could until she had completed the cut. Then she used the Force to lift it out of its position and place it further along the tiny crawl space. Jaina hesitated for a moment, waiting for any thud bugs, blorlash jelly or any other nasty Vong surprises to come flying up at her before she leaned over the edge and looked down.

What she saw was Shimrra standing over her twin in mid-motion of a death blow. Without wasting a moment, Jaina dove forwards into the opening that she had cut and fell into the open air below her. She rolled and crashed into Shimrra boots first with enough momentum to knock even the large Supreme Overlord off balance.

The blow intended to kill Jacen went mostly wide, but didn?t completely miss him. As she rolled away from the Supreme Overlord and sprayed a quick volley of blaster fire at the slayers who had charged at her, Jaina didn?t notice the two small puncture wounds in her brother?s neck or that way that he still didn?t move.

Her lightsaber arced through a quick series of parries, lunges and thrusts as she fought against both Shimrra and his slayers. She wasn?t protected by the duels one-against-one rule and the slayers were eager for the blood of the Jedaii who had become the embodiment of Yun Harla. Years of fighting had honed her skills with her lightsaber and she moved with quick ruthless precision. She fought her way through the group of slayers methodically until she reached the last one. He was tall, even for a Vong warrior, and was dwarfed only by Shimrra. He and Jaina had clashed blade to amphistaff or exchanged blows several times during the course of her fight, but he had always turned her attack aside or she had been diverted.

Now he faced her, his amphistaff held pointing down, diagonally across his body.

?Jaina,? Jacen?s voice was weak, barely a whisper, but it caught her attention almost immediately. She had lost track of her twin during the battle, except for ensuring th
  21. Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm finally caught-up again!!!!! :D :D Took me long enough but now I'm caught back up, just in time for the end I guess. ;) All I can really say is this: Wow. =D= It's been an amazing ride and now we're coming to an end but you made it all so wonderful before we reached it. [face_love] This story was an emointional rollar-coaster! 8-} It was worth it of course. ;) I must say, you really are gifted JS15. :D

Sorry it took me so long to get my butt in gear and catch-up. [face_blush]
  22. Swift_Wrath_SAB Jedi Youngling

star 1
    YES! I LOVE IT! :D MORE MUSH! PLEASE! This next one is the last post! Make it count...! MUSH STYLE! :p
  23. J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow! That was awesome. I could see the fight. And they won, Shimmra's dead. Yay! And the Vong think Jacen's the Supreme Overlord [face_laugh] That's :cool: Now, he can work with both and help soothe the tensions.

:( This story is almost over. Phooey! I really like it. *brightens as a thought hits her* You will write more, right?
  24. _JM_ Jedi Padawan

star 4
    24/06/2004
    Nice description of the feeling of Jaina?s move and what she was doing. Glad for Jaina?s sake that she was wearing an EVA suit both as it kept her warm/breathing and because it prevented ?what she was sure was a foul smelling liquid? from getting on her flightsuit.

Liked the start of Jacen?s confrontation with Shimrra as it showed both the sheer power of the Supreme Overlord and his skill in using this to target Jacen?s specific weaknesses rather than simply bludgeoning Jacen into submission.

Good work by Jag in realising that Shimrra?s ship was too strong to engage directly and in realising though that with skill it could be outmanoeuvred despite it?s unusual speed and agility. Exchange between Jag and the Helmsman was nice and tense, Jag being determined to carry out Jaina?s mission and the Helmsman being equally determined to not let someone kill them all through what he saw as Jag?s inexperience with the limitations of a Star Destroyer.

Poor Jag though, just as he is feeling pleased with his success Mara arrives to spoil things.

28/06/2004
    I don?t think Jag had blundered. Even had he known Jaina and Jacen were still alive in many ways the correct military decision would have been to eliminate the warship of the Supreme Overlord of the Yuuzhan Yong as soon as possible and prevent many more than two lives being lost.

Enjoyed how Jacen managed to ?embrace the pain? rather than fighting it. Not surprised though that Shimrra was not daunted by the challenge, with the difference in their sizes it is like a pet Chihuahua deciding to growl at you. Impressive that Shimrra is so fast despite having armour on as well as so strong.

Very nice description of the fight. Good attitude by Shimrra, ?if at first you don?t succeed (despite having armour which prevented you from being gutted by a lightsabre strike and from being affected by having a coufee thrown into you)- CHEAT!? :)

02/07/2004
    Felt rather sorry for Jaina, the more frustrated she felt with trying to get to Jacen the more that affected her concentration and the more difficult it became, and the more frustrated she felt. The awkwardness of the close-quarters made me wonder if any Jedi have ever made a dual(or more)-phase Lightsabre to produce a shorter blade (a ?lightdagger?) rather than to produce a longer blade.

Jaina did very well against the slayers, very tough opponents so it goes to show how skilled she has become. Again though Shimrra was more sensible and decided to use his full advantages in getting the tkun to trip Jaina. Was he using the coufee that Jacen had thrown into his armour (grab...yank...use)?

Nice exchange between Jaina and Jacen, felt really sorry for Jaina to be facing losing her brother when they had been through so much to find and rescue him and had lost Kyp in the process. Good tension with Jaina?s shock at finding her lightsabre not on her belt before she realised it was in Jacens hand. Glad it was Jacen who got Shimrra.

Jaina managing to produce healing tears is much more impressive than Vegere?s as at least Vegere had an existing ability of the Fosh to build on and years/decades of practice- but then unlike a member of the Old Jedi Order Jaina had her love for her brother to motivate her which was more than enough to assure success.

Eeek! Supreme Overlord Jacen? The Vong don?t think he is their new Supreme Overlord, if the challenge was in the proper form and was duly accepted then he is their new Supreme Overlord. :0
  25. JAGSGURL15 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    OMG! just got in! wonderful!!! Jaggie Jaya and Jasa and Mara is safes! great!

and... SUPREME OVERLORD JACEN? kewl! and..

i must ask

IS THERE ANY MUSH IN THE EPI?
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.