main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Many Happy Returns - On hiatus due to bereavement - new message 11/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks for the quick reply JA. No, I'm definitely not setting up Qorl as a dirty old man. I've grown to like Qorl, and I'm trying to keep to the themes of redemption and romance, and not just young romance. It's not just the kids who get all the perks in this story. In actual fact it occurred to me the other day that Qorl is probably not that much older than Lando. So he's not really old at all.

did Alema and her attempts to flirt with and possibly seduce Anakin serve in part as an inspiration for Dajira? Or did you want to continue the trend that began in Balance Point?
    More the latter originally. In BP, Anakin seems to be popular with the Twi'lek and Falleen women, so I intended to carry that on. But then Dajira started to act a bit differently, so I decided to go with the flow.

I think Dajira's musings ties in more with the musings Jacen probably had after going through his ordeal in Traitor than it does with the Bible.
    I was meaning both Vehn's and Dajira's thoughts, but as long as it wasn't too heavy-handed that's okay. I try not to ape other writers' styles although I, like most people, am no doubt influenced by the various writers whose books I've read over the years. Lewis is definitely one of those, along with Heinlein and Asimov.

having Vehn thinking with something other than his head in the middle of a crisis?
    At this point Vehn's actually being reasonably deep, and thinking beyond his own situation. This is of course due to A and T's influence. :)

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I downloaded the update to my Sony Clie and will have to read it at work.

But I saw that you wrote this Tahi, and couldn't help commenting:

I wasn't criticising Lando. He's delightful - but he IS a flirt and that's NOT Tahiri's thing at all.

See, Moffy. You're not Tahiri's type. ;) 8-}

3. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    great post there, that was some great work

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Now I wonder what made them think they would need an escape belt in the first place. I'd have to go back and check and see if anybody got the idea that they might be off the ground.

I really liked the part where Vehn caught the significant look between Qorn and Neijal. That whole section was so heart-warming somehow. I liked the way Vehn was thinking that Qorn didn't look so old, now that a certain Mantrusian woman was adding some spring to his step. *happy sigh*

And I loved this reflection of Vehn's: No matter what else happened to them now, he could say with all honesty that his recent experiences had put him through yet another learning curve. But there again, that seemed to be a common theme every time he found himself involved with that damn Solo kid and his feisty girlfriend. Other people affect us all, more or less, and Anakin and Tahiri seem to be on the "more" side for Vehn. I liked the way he was thinking that he had turned into a better man because of them, on the path of altruism now, instead of self-interest. I also liked the way he was making jokes about how it was a bit of a shock that his mind was working, and that clowns had to understand what worries people in order to know how to make them laugh. Very true!

So Dajira decided to donate the ysalamiri to the Xenobiological Gardens? Good idea! Anakin's really been a good influence on her as well, huh? I liked the way his good example and his well-chosen words made her stop and reconsider her life. I especially liked the way she recognised the freedom of the mind, and the narrow path that led resolutely in one direction -- the right direction.

I don't think you were too heavy-handed in the New Testament allusions, but I have to admit, I'm rather biased in favour of them. :) Great section and very satisfying!

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Jade - hope you enjoy this bit of the chapter. The next bit is looooong. I seem to have this pattern of short first bits and long second bits. The second bit is about A and T, so I guess that'll make some folks happy. ;)

force - thanks :)

Jane - good, glad you found the allusions okay. I'm also glad you found Qorl's little bit of happiness heart-warming. I feel sorry for Qorl as he's led a very lonely existence, and he's basically a man with integrity.
    Ah yes - the escape rope. I can't remember exactly which chapter that was mentioned in, but I think it was quite a few chapters ago. It's probably in the bit on the Classic Board. I remember having Vehn say that he thought they might be in the upper levels of the warehouse, and then Lando said that they'd better be prepared to have to do some climbing. Then they decided to wait until they were sure their captors weren't going to return to take them out to the loo.

Thanks for reading - and I hope you all had a good Easter.

6. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    If he were a lady, he'd have worn them round the other way.
    [face_laugh]

Not that much older than Calrissian.
    [face_shocked]

made him regret the choice he'd made to involve himself with the Peace Brigade
    I wonder how many in the galaxy might have also felt that way. I'm sure there were many who thought that they were doing the right thing by trying to appease the Vong to win peace. Then they realize too late that peace is not what they want--domination and power is what they want. Those who took action for "peace" may have even cost the galaxy a measure of it!

"Ah well, you know what they say about clowns. We have to understand what worries people to know what to make jokes about."
    I like that. It makes sense.

Wow! I really like how you've taken us through Dajira's turn-around in thought process step-by-step. She has really developed well. It also provides and interesting contrast to Lando's assertion that just because someone isn't a Jedi, they don't have to worry about right and wrong. they can just live out their adolescence/lives. I would think that after all that Lando has been through, he'd know better. ;)

EDIT: Force is up to old tricks I see. ;) 8-}

Tahi: Hey! I don't mind long bits. [face_blush] I just can't write 'em that way! 8-} I am looking forward to the A&T scene, though.

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks Jade. Yep, I like reading stuff that goes into people's thought processes so I tend to write that sort of thing too. I liked the way Greg Keyes explored Anakin very much.

Those who took action for "peace" may have even cost the galaxy a measure of it! Good point. It doesn't always work out that way - but it definitely does in the NJO.

I would think that after all that Lando has been through, he'd know better.
    True. He's probably so used to dealing with tricky situations it's become second nature to him. It does seem however that the Jedi can cause more problems than they solve if they make a bad decision. The price they pay for the powers they have. So they have to think more carefully and they usually have more options to weigh up than the ordinary guy. :)

8. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've just been checking over the next section and it's 10 pages long in 12pt Palatino. Is that too much for you guys to cope with? The problem is it's one long scene, and splitting it would sort of spoil it. Howver, if most of you wouldn't find that too much, I'll post it as is.

Opinions please?

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I think it would be fine to do as one post. :)

10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Don't know what to tell you. You can use this for comparison - some of the long posts in my fanfic are about half as long as your proposed next post, and the font I'm using is Times New Roman, size 10.

11. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!

12. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah yes - the escape rope. I can't remember exactly which chapter that was mentioned in, but I think it was quite a few chapters ago. It's probably in the bit on the Classic Board. I remember having Vehn say that he thought they might be in the upper levels of the warehouse, and then Lando said that they'd better be prepared to have to do some climbing.

Ah, yes, I remember now. Forgive my sieve-like memory. I try to look things up if I'm not sure, but I was a bit rushed for time on this one.

For the upcoming scene, if there's not a natural break, then don't force one. I don't mind long posts. :)

13. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Another great post, Tahi! I love the way you write your OCs. They really come to life without taking over the fic.

I can't wait to read more! :D

14. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Wow Tahi very nice, I really like what you've done with Vehn. I really thought he had potential and you have brought out the best in him. Great job Tahi keep it up and post more soon.:)

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks guys.
    So Dajira decided to donate the ysalamiri to the Xenobiological Gardens? Good idea! Anakin's really been a good influence on her as well, huh? I liked the way his good example and his well-chosen words made her stop and reconsider her life.
    Actually Jane I've been toying with the idea of getting a "have you got any death sticks/go home and rethink your life" situation in somewhere. But it would probably be pushing the "echoes from the past" motif too far ;) It could be funny though.

Thanks Jane, JA and Jade for the feedback re the length. I know size doesn't matter - but . . . ;) Seriously - thanks. I'll post it in one big chunk. Still toying with a few paragraphs that don't quite sound the way I want them to sound, but it should be up on Saturday (my Saturday that is).

Tomorrow is Anzac Day and we get up early for the dawn parade. The last WW1 veteran died last year, but of course now we celebrate all the vets from all wars. My dad was in the RAF, so we try and make the effort to get up and go. It's pretty moving when they play the last post, and the sun is just coming up over the hills. Makes you get shivers down your spine. Unfortunately last year when they let off the big cannon, they set off a whole lot of car alarms! That rather ruined the atmosphere a bit.

Hooded One - ta very much.

Lonewolf - OCs are fun and you don't have to swat up on any background to write them. It's very satisfying creating characters.

JDH3 - thanks. Yep - as I've said before I really liked Vehn in Conquest, and it seemed to me he was a good character to work into the plot. He knows a little about Anakin and Tahiri - has seen them in action and realises they're close, but he still has the potential to get to know them better and be influenced by them.

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Something I forgot to ask you guys the other day was - is anybody beginning to figure out what Tahiri wants for her birthday yet? If you think you know, PM me. Make the others figure it out for themselves - heh heh. You should be getting a few more clues as the story progresses however. :)

17. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Anakin wearing only a big red bow and a smile? [face_love] 8-}

18. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Jade! Hush those thoughts, woman! ;) Actually - I hadn't thought of the bow idea. The smile now . . . :)

19. Jedi_Knight_Satine

Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    Rats, Jade got to the big bow comment before I did. Curses!

8-}

*waits for someone *cough Moff cough* to type "I think I know what Tahiri's getting for her birthday (snicker snicker nudge nudge *

20. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Deary me - are we all evil or is it case of birds of a feather flock together! :)

21. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I think I know what Tahiri is getting for her birthday. :p

Some very personal lessons from Anakin on handling a lightsaber. [face_mischief]

You women are all perverts!
    *Shut up Jade*
    Anakin is, what, 16? Ok, Satine can get away with it but you older types...
    *Shut up Jade*

I said shut up Jade! :p :D

Why don't you write a story where he is older? Oh wait, I might have an idea there... ;)

22. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nope - Anakin's 17. Aren't you kind of glad SW keeps so many of us young at heart. :)

23. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Great post, Tahi. Did you say you write short bits? 8-} They always seem really long to me.

Hey, guess what country I'm doing for my school's world fair? New Zealand. ;) I was thinking of you, Tahi. ;)

I think I know what Tahiri is getting for her birthday.

Some very personal lessons from Anakin on handling a lightsaber.

You women are all perverts!

[face_laugh] You people crack me up! Moff, you little hypocrite. 8-}

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Moff, you little hypocrite.
    [face_laugh]
    I couldn't have said it better myself, Whitey!
    17 is close to what again, Moffy? ;) 8-}

25. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    What did I tell you to do Jade? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.