main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Many Happy Returns - On hiatus due to bereavement - new message 11/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
  2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Whitey - good to see you again. If you want any info on NZ just ask. Kapai :)

Jade and Moff - thanks for keeping the thread up with your witty repartee ;)

Now - sorry about the delay, but I figured you'd need to build up the energy to tackle the next bit. So take a deep breath and think yourself back to the swooper compound . . . . .

Chapter Fifteen (cont)

Tahiri woke up and felt temporarily disoriented. She blinked a few times, taking in the bare wall with the paint peeling off in the corner, and the old threadbare rug that covered a small portion of the plain wooden floor. Then her thought processes began ticking over properly and she remembered where she was.

She had slept in some strange places over the years, often in dangerous situations, and by comparison this place and this situation seemed homely, almost comforting. No - cosy, that was the word she wanted. Cosy and somehow right, as if this was the way things should be - waking up warm and refreshed, with Anakin curled up against her and his arm draped over her. She wanted to turn and look at him, but she could tell by the rhythm of his breathing that he was still fast asleep, and she decided not to disturb him. No doubt he would have put himself into a light healing trance, and the longer he slept, the quicker his wound would heal. Instead, she imagined looking at him, following the curve of his dark lashes, the slight upturn of his nose and the peaceful expression she had often seen on his face when he slept. Now she could add to that familiar image the shadow of developing beard.

She smiled as she remembered noticing that extra feature for the first time the day he arrived on Yavin 4 to warn them about the Peace Brigade. They had surprised each other that day. She had caught him gawking at her as if his eyes had suddenly developed an irresistible attraction to the orange of her training suit. She had found it hard to stop herself from sneaking the odd glance at him, in her effort to equate the tall, adult-looking Anakin with the one who had left the Academy the year before. He had been back briefly just before the Centerpoint debacle, but they'd only had the briefest opportunity to talk, and Kam and Tionne had needed her to help keep the Jedi children out of the way of the adults.

A quiet knock at the door disturbed her reverie, and she slid around carefully to check if Anakin had heard it and woken up. Whoever it was knocked again a little louder, so she slipped out from under the quilt and opened the door quietly to find the Mirialan woman standing there. As the woman went to speak, Tahiri put her finger to her lips and motioned towards the bed with her head. The woman peered in and nodded.

"Sorry, didn't want to wake you, but Rongo wanted me to tell you to use these." She indicated the clothes she was carrying. "He reckons it'd be better if you two looked like the rest of us."

Tahiri's eyes widened as she took the bundle. "Wow. They're heavy."

The woman laughed making her violet eyes sparkle. "Good quality rancor hide. They should fit. You two are about the same sizes as Jonno and Pet." She patted the bundle and a pained look replaced the sparkle. "These clothes belonged to them. Rongo can't quite bring himself to get rid of their stuff. He misses his little brother something awful." She nodded towards Anakin. "I think Anakin reminds him of Jonno."

Tahiri followed her gaze. The quilt had slipped down slightly.

"Hmm, he's a bit bigger up top than Jonno," the woman said, studying him thoughtfully. "If the jacket doesn't fit, don't worry. Rongo might have a spare."

Tahiri smiled. "Okay. Thanks. How soon do you want us to be ready?"

The woman shrugged. "Soonish - but let him sleep a bit longer." She smiled back at Tahiri. "They look kind of cute when they're asleep don't they?"

Tahiri glanced back at Anakin, and then at the woman again. "Some of them don't look too bad awake either."

The woman began to laugh and then slapped her hand over her mouth t

3. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Hmmm how about WOW!! Tahi Very well done, I'll tell you why exactly once the eye strain passes:) Puts my little updates to shame, but I can live with that. Lots of A/T always a good thing. Ok details on what I liked when the eyes heal, keep it up.

Ok Tahi vision is back so I'll edit my message. Just as I thought funny/cute/funny you get the idea. I love Anakin's admission at the end one his father still refuses to make lol. Cheers your continued use of OC's and minor characters like Vehn. Gave me some thoughts for my story too, inspiration abounds. Alright enough already very well done. Post more soon.

BTW: Let me be the 1st to say I'm truly in favor of Tahiri's wardrobe change:)

4. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    great post, loved anakin's reaction to tahiri, it was great, so was her reaction, great work

5. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I get the feeling Tahiri and Iliana came to some sort of understanding at the beginning.

?Uh, Anakin. I know we never really studied anatomy at the Academy, but I have news for you. My face is up here.?

Uh, Tahiri. If you never studied anatomy at the Academy, you have no idea what kind of impact certain aspects of the female anatomy has on the human male. And vice versa. Since the relationship between Tionne and Tahiri was almost mother-daughter, makes you wonder if Tionne took the time to talk to Tahiri about some things. Regardless of this, chances are Tahiri started to learn this after they met Alema. Damn shame Troy Denning didn't allow Anakin and Tahiri to take each other on a "hands-on" course while recovering on the YV ship.

Well, at least one thing good came out of Anakin's initial response. He continued the Solo male tradition of having laser-brains. If Tahiri's having such an impact on him, he should have thought what kind of impact he's having on her.

Tahi, from Anakin's reaction, I think I'm not the only one who's wonder just what was Tahiri's state of dress above her waist.

Ooh, Tahi. You're definitely getting them into the intimate mood.

Rancor hide jackets and pants. Sun visors.

And there might be a few here who are going to get quite a hit out of seeing her in that rancor gear.

Why can't I get the image of Henry Winkler as the Fonz on Happy Days out of my mind. Just have Tahiri put her hair in a ponytail, and you'll complete the image of two speeder demons. I definitely see a "Hello, what have we here" coming from Lando when he gets a good look at them. You can include Lando, Tendra, and Remis in the group of those who'll get quite a hit upon seeing her in that gear. Maybe he'll get a holocam and take a picture, just to give Han and Leia a few gray hairs. As for Rongo concern about Tag recognizing them, the clothes and visors will be moot as disguises when the lightsabers start flashing. In fact, I'm already imagining that scene - Anakin and Tahiri, dressed as swooper gang members, duking it out against a Yuuzhan Vong with lightsabers. That's one duel Lando should have recorded for the purpose of distributing it to others. After they paid, of course.

Are you trying to incorporate some of Plourr's and Kerensa's personality into Tahiri. Chances are she's going to become dangerous enough, based on the cover of The Final Prophecy and what they're saying about her role in that book.

?Are there any others like her around??

LOL. Typical reaction. Though I think Anakin's wrong. What about Jaina, Tenel Ka, Tionne, and especially Danni. If Danni were there, Rongo and the gang would be thinking Danni and Tahiri were twins.

LOL over the conspiring conversations and Blue's reaction.

?What is it with guys? I really don?t understand what makes you tick.?

Some of the understanding would come if you both had anatomy classes.

6. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I liked the way Tahiri was remembering back to the day when they'd surprised each other after having been apart for almost a year -- Anakin having suddenly developed an irresistible attraction to the orange of her training suit and Tahiri trying reconcile the more grown-up Anakin with the younger version she remembered.

"Things were a lot less complicated when we were kids."

"There are some who would say we still are."

Yes, that would be me, I'm afraid. Even if the circle that is Anakin is only complete when Tahiri is locked into it, I still think that sixteen and seventeen is just too young.

I liked the way that Iliana revealed how Rongo couldn't bear to part with Jonno's and Pet's things, and how she thought Anakin might remind Rongo of Jonno somehow. Awww.

I also had to laugh at the way Tahiri made sure Anakin was still asleep before shedding her skirt. As for what she's wearing topside when he wakes up, my chaste imagination says "brassiere and an undershirt, the silky kind with those spagghetti straps, looks like a short chemise."

I had to laugh when Tahiri pointed out that Anakin was developing chest hair, and his first reaction was that he didn't want to end up like his father! LOL!

And at last Anakin's attention is drawn to the page of the open magazine! He even recognises the significance of it -- now if only he could remember what was on it! Still, it's progress. :)

When Rongo came in and did a double take upon seeing Tahiri, I thought it was simply because she reminded him of Pet. But after he took Anakin aside to warn him of the effects that Tahiri in rancor gear might have on the others, I started to wonder if it didn't have the same effect on him.

Nice of Anakin to admit that guys don't understand themselves either.

7. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Good Stuff!!!!

8. Jedi_jainafel

Jedi_jainafel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    *Giggles insanely*

I think Anakin just figured out that Tahiri is a young woman.With womenly body parts.LOL.I just CAN'T get over these parts:

Anakin was pulling himself into a sitting position on the edge of the bunk. He blinked at her and began to smile, and then his eyes slid away from hers and widened.

"Um."

"Are you okay?" She stepped towards him, taking the stunned look as a reaction to pain from his wound.

"Um, yeah."

She studied his expression carefully, and tried a little experiment, poking her tongue out at him and crossing her eyes. Absolutely no reaction whatsoever.

"Uh, Anakin. I know we never really studied anatomy at the Academy, but I have news for you. My face is up here."

His eyes slid back up again slowly, like starfighters suddenly overcome by atmospheric drag. "Um, sorry."

"Don't tell me. You like the way I'm put together."

It occurred to Anakin that Tahiri's skill in the art of sarcasm sometimes approached his Aunt Mara's. "No! I mean yes. It's just . . . well I can't really help being . . . I mean. Sithspit, Tahiri, I don't really know what I mean. I just . . . I can't get used to it."

They both have some serious hormones pumping!!!LOL.I also can't go past:

She had caught him gawking at her as if his eyes had suddenly developed an irresistible attraction to the orange of her training suit. She had found it hard to stop herself from sneaking the odd glance at him, in her effort to equate the tall, adult-looking Anakin with the one who had left the Academy the year before.

I can definatly see these two exploring a 'physical' relationship sometime in the future.In the very close, near, soon-ish future.

*Looks around*

Whatttt????It's the truth ain't it???i can see a real attraction between them...Anakin even SAID it in his head.

Ohhh, got to go dinner!!

nina

9. Jedi_Knight_Satine

Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    Uh, Anakin. I know we never really studied anatomy at the Academy, but I have news for you. My face is up here.

[face_laugh] Good one, Tahi! [face_laugh]

That post was great ! Cracked up a few times.

Gaga

*snickers*

And, Moff, perversion is funny ! Everyone knows that! 8-}

10. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Very nice post!!!!

"Uh...Anakin, my face is up here."

[face_devil] It seems Anakin isn't as innocent as he seems 8-}

POST MORE ASAP

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)

JDH3 - sounds like you had similar eye popping problems to Anakin ;) Glad you like the idea of the gang leathers - I thought it would be quite funky to get both A and T into gang gear. If you've seen the recent movie "The Ring" (not the older version) you'll see a NZ actor called Martin Henderson who is a good prototype for Rongo - if you're interested.

force - thanks :)

JA - have no fear. Tahiri is suitably dressed in a sensible crop top (as Tendra was in an earlier chapter) underneath her blouse. I thought it would be amusing to put A and T into a similar situation to Lando and Tendra, and see if Anakin's reaction was anything like Lando's. It was. :) Further proof of the weird male behaviour hypothesis. ;) Just kidding.
    Are you trying to incorporate some of Plourr's and Kerensa's personality into Tahiri. Chances are she's going to become dangerous enough, based on the cover of The Final Prophecy and what they're saying about her role in that book.
    I'm definitely trying to fit this story in as well as I can to the EU books - hence the reference in the mind meld scene to the shadowy parts In Tahiri's mind connected with her Vong shaping. The fact her eyes still show another aspect to her personailty is also something I'm using to show her potential to become deadly.

Jane - glad you enjoyed poor old Anakin's struggle with his teenage libido.
    "Things were a lot less complicated when we were kids."

"There are some who would say we still are."

Yes, that would be me, I'm afraid. Even if the circle that is Anakin is only complete when Tahiri is locked into it, I still think that sixteen and seventeen is just too young.

Don't worry - as you can see they both have an effective mental alarm system. I was using the geometric metaphor to both emphasise the visual image of Tahiri locked inside A's arms and relate it to the idea in both the JJK books and Greg Keyes' EoV duology that Anakin and Tahiri are spiritually and emotionally linked, and that their destinies are entwined. They need each other to keep the equation balanced. Now that Tahiri no longer has Anakin, she's losing that balance - again my way of connecting with the FH series. There are a lot of juggling balls to keep in the air at the moment. Quite a challenge to write!

In terms of their relationship, again I'm trying to stay true to Keyes' representation and show the transition from where they were at in Rebirth to where they were in SbS. At the same time I'm trying to show realistically the teenage angst that we've all either been through or are going through. It makes the story more nteresting I think to have two characters who are being attacked on one hand from enemies like the Peace Brigade and the Vong, and on the other by their own emotions. We saw a similar sort of struggle in AotC with Padme and Anakin. Just because A and T are Jedi, it doesn't mean it's going to be any easier. Far from it.

A and T are quite interesting psychologically. Tahiri lost her parents when 3 and was brought up in a violent culture before being taken to the Academy. She has ties to Tionne and Kam, and to her friends like Sanna and Valin. Her strongest tie however is to Anakin. A has parents who are, and always have been, absent a lot, and his relationship with his father is still a bit awkward. He admits in Conquest that the one who knows him best is Tahiri. He is also strongly aware of his responsibility as a Jedi, and he's aware that many people look up to him - not a feeling he always feel comfortable with. It all makes for a complex situation.

When Rongo came in and did a double take upon seeing Tahiri, I thought it was simply because she reminded him of Pet. But after he took Anakin aside to warn him of the effects that Tahiri in rancor gear might have on the others, I started to wonder if it didn't have the same effect on him.
    It was a bit of both. Yes, Tahiri does remind him of Pet who he was obviously fond of and probably protective of -

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Uh oh, Tahi. I think we're gonna need to hose some of the guys down after that post. 8-} We'll wait 'til Moff gets here, though and get them all at once. ;)

I liked the anatomy bit, too. [face_laugh]

Tahiri smiled. "That's because they wouldn't have had you to help them through it. We're a team remember."
    Yup! :mad: Too bad Del Rey forgot that fact!

a Givin might have used them as an example...
    You seem to like the Givins lately, Tahi. ;)

I liked how you brought the Krakana thing back in. I think I missed that part when I read the earlier books. Anakin hadn't become a favorite until after then.

"Sorry." He didn't really know what he was apologising for, but he knew instinctively that it was definitely apology time.
    [face_laugh] Ah! The boy is learning! 8-}

But these new krakana came in the form of forces that simultaneously beckoned to him enticingly with one hand while frightening the living daylights out of him with the other.
    Great description.
    Actually, I liked this whole internal dialogue that you have Anakin doing. It brings back the original, thoughful Anakin of earlier books. DR, once again, has messed this up.

"Ah well. Just thought I'd better warn you. Mainly because I don't really want her damaging any of my guys."
    [face_laugh]
    Funny how Rongo understands her already!

"Don't worry, Tahiri. If it makes you feel any better, we don't really understand it either."
    [face_shocked] I knew it! 8-}

JediAlly: Good point about Tionne and Tahiri. I never really thought of that. But my guess is that with the war going on, the adults really haven't paid much attention to the fact that these kids have problems other than the war that they are dealing with.

I definitely see a "Hello, what have we here" coming from Lando when he gets a good look at them
    [face_laugh]

Tahi: Really great post! :D
    A tantilizing taste of Anakin and Tahiri together. Then mixed with Anakin's thoughts. And furthering the story. :D
    I didn't mind the length of the post, I rather liked it. But I printed it out to read on paper also. ;)

I look forward to when Anakin and Tahiri have their next down time. :D

13. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Tahi,
    I just have to add my.02 - You nailed them down perfectly (Are you listening Del Rey!)
    Reb!

14. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    "Yeah ? every day the same old thing. Nothing adventurous or exciting about you at all." :D

One of many great lines in that post! As usual, awesome job Tahi! You really do write Anakin and Tahiri well together. It's nice to mix those type of posts in with all the action packed ones. Conversation and dialogue are two of the most important things in a fic and you've really mastered them here.

I can't wait to see what's coming up next. More soon!

15. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    *rolls eyes* Oh brother. Yeah, yeah excellent as usual Tahi but at the risk of being unpopular its, uh, a little repetitive isn't it? [ducks] Haven't you essentially covered the same thoughts and feelings before? [ducks again] Or am I thinking of another story? Profuse apologies if that is the case. ;)

16. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    *Shoots Moff*

I can definatly see these two exploring a 'physical' relationship sometime in the future.In the very close, near, soon-ish future.

Ever checked out Tahi's missing Star by Star chapter? [face_devil] Too bad it's not in the book and Anakin's dead so now it can't happen. (THANK YOU DEL REY! :mad:)

Awesome post, Tahi. Everything you write is nothing short of brilliant.

17. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Good job, Whitey. He deserved it! ;) 8-}

18. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    No I didn't. I'll wait for Tahi's response, thank you. ;)

19. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Great updates. :) Sorry I missed one, but it meant two treats tonight. ;)

The Anakin/Tahiri parts were wonderful [face_love], and shirtless Lando was yummy as well. [face_love]

:D

I've heard it mentioned before, but is krakana a term EU fans made up, or did it come from the books themselves? If so, where? I don't recall it in any of them. ?[face_plain]

20. Jedi_jainafel

Jedi_jainafel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    I keep reading that Tahiri is going insane in the NJO book's!!!!Darn it!!!!I know it's coz Anakin isn't there anymore...but HOW IS SHE ACTING INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I re-read EDGE OF VICTORY 1-CONQUEST (finishing today) and i think that their connection was so deep that it was maybe intertwined in their life force's, as well as being mental, emotionally and in the Force.That when he died he took something away from her, maybe some of her control or her mental grounding.

I know someone said something like that but....MEH.I needed to write it down.

Tahi, yes unfortantly SbS DID stuff that up.Big time.But i live in the land of Denial.I like it here!!!!LOL.

nina

21. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    I've heard it mentioned before, but is krakana a term EU fans made up, or did it come from the books themselves? If so, where? I don't recall it in any of them.

*searches hazy memory*
    Was it The Crystal Star?
    I'm not very sure. It was one of those books of that time.

22. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Was it The Crystal Star?
    Maybe, but who's going to look it up?
    *cringes* That has to be one of the more painful books to read in the post-RotJ EU.

23. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Oh. One of those books. Yeah, among the worst. Though I think PoT was the worst for me. Blah. :p

Oh, and in regards to Tahiri... no spoilers! I have Refugee and have begun it, but with finals at school approaching I probably won't finish it quickly. :(

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree. Planet of Twilight was like torture! I think I had to check it out of the library 3 separate times trying to get through it! [face_plain]

25. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Krakanas were introduced in KJA's Dark Apprentice. The illustration in the Essential Guide to Planets shows it as a sharklike thing with spiny fins and pincer-tipped tentacles instead of pectoral fins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.